Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Moss to be inactive again today?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Yes we could have but someone mikey or otherwise decided that these players were not as good as Watts, nash, foster, pierce, ashley middlebroken, oneal, toviessi, cole, reagor friedman, watson, mcgriff, dorsett davis. most of which did not play for beans here and if they did when they moved on they stunk up the place..

There are at least 10 players above that should never been day one picks over a 6 year period.. 10 wasted picked that could have been some one else and had they been perhaps 5 of them would still be on the squad had we have had a professional GM on staff..

Would it be nice to have 5 less holes to fill that past 3 years?.. Holes that we drafted 4-7 rounders to fill and hope they cut the mustard.. Speaking of which where is Chad these days?

Just admit that while mikey is a superb coach his personnel skills from 1998 through 2006 sucked.. One of the first things one must admit before they can grow, heal or move on is failure..

time to admit mikey is not the final solution..
    Yeah, I know...I still can't figure out why we don't have Pro Bowlers at every position.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

It's amazing watching people argue without any knowledge. The average draft yields about one starter per team, that's how much of a crap shoot it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
    It's amazing watching people argue without any knowledge. The average draft yields about one starter per team, that's how much of a crap shoot it is.

yet everyone on here was extolling all of the holes we plugged with this last years draft..

Everyone thinking we fixed everything and we were super bowl bound..

We got a lot faster start than I thought we would .. But now the dings are taking a toll. now the DC's have seen a couple of game tapes and are going to start figuring out how to beat us..

Perhaps Y'all do not want to think that there are competent coaches out there besides mikey on both sides to the LOS..

Injuries are going to slow the momentum down.. and unless torain is the next TD well our running game is not going to take the load off of Jay..

If a team can't find at least 3 players that can stick and make a contribution each year.. AS you state then how is a team going to stock its line up..

Lets see apx 320 players taken and then there are another probably 150 UDFA on squads.

A team has 22 starters one per year from the draft that means if there are no injuries over the 22 years it takes to fill out a team we will be playing some really old players before they have to retire..

Most teams are going to come up with 4-5 players each year to fill those holes 1-2 each year as starters and then the others as back ups until the guy in front of them is to old to play or hurt..

This gives a turn over for starters at about 5 years.. Some like the OLINE and DLine will last longer.. but the average longevity in the NFL is about 4.5 years.. RB for less time because of the constant hitting they take..

If your team is only getting 1 player each year to start or even make the team your going to soon look like the Broncos did last year.. and how our Defense is this year..

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Yeah, I know...I still can't figure out why we don't have Pro Bowlers at every position.
    easy to say, scouting, GM and HC in this case..

Now perhaps the tide has turned but only time will tell..

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

So you are telling me that of the 250+ picks in each year's NFL draft, that only 32 players each year will ever be a starter in their entire career? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Now if you are saying that, on average, only one pick from each team will be a starter AS A ROOKIE, then I think that is probably pretty accurate.

But since nobody else in this thread has the knowledge that you have, please elighten us.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

yet everyone on here was extolling all of the holes we plugged with this last years draft..

Everyone thinking we fixed everything and we were super bowl bound..

We got a lot faster start than I thought we would .. But now the dings are taking a toll. now the DC's have seen a couple of game tapes and are going to start figuring out how to beat us..

Perhaps Y'all do not want to think that there are competent coaches out there besides mikey on both sides to the LOS..

Injuries are going to slow the momentum down.. and unless torain is the next TD well our running game is not going to take the load off of Jay..

If a team can't find at least 3 players that can stick and make a contribution each year.. AS you state then how is a team going to stock its line up..

Lets see apx 320 players taken and then there are another probably 150 UDFA on squads.

A team has 22 starters one per year from the draft that means if there are no injuries over the 22 years it takes to fill out a team we will be playing some really old players before they have to retire..

Most teams are going to come up with 4-5 players each year to fill those holes 1-2 each year as starters and then the others as back ups until the guy in front of them is to old to play or hurt..

This gives a turn over for starters at about 5 years.. Some like the OLINE and DLine will last longer.. but the average longevity in the NFL is about 4.5 years.. RB for less time because of the constant hitting they take..

If your team is only getting 1 player each year to start or even make the team your going to soon look like the Broncos did last year.. and how our Defense is this year..
    This is prcisly what I'm talking about instead of trying to go find the numbers you're pulling them out of your ass.

You can't use the average longevity because it is thrown off by all of the people who get cut before they even see the field. What you would want to find is the average longevity for a person who actually makes it.

Besides the number that come from an average draft doesn't include UDFA, FA, or trades. Which gives you three other places that teams will find players.

Further more if you'll notice there are plenty of teams that are playing really old players. I mean for crying out loud Kerry Collins is playing. Brett Favre still has a place. Kickers play into their 40s.

If I find the link to the study I'll be happy to post it.

Keep in mind that's the average team as well. Some teams like the Lions will lose an entire draft class. Other teams will cut guys who are picked up by other teams, but they don't count because they don't become starters for the teams that drafted them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    So you are telling me that of the 250+ picks in each year's NFL draft, that only 32 players each year will ever be a starter in their entire career? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Now if you are saying that, on average, only one pick from each team will be a starter AS A ROOKIE, then I think that is probably pretty accurate.

But since nobody else in this thread has the knowledge that you have, please elighten us.
    If you'll notice Missouri also had the knowledge. There was a study done a while ago that covered this and if I find the link I'll post it for you.

Keep in mind that it's not just starting for one game but it's becoming the major starter for the team that drafted them at that position.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

If you'll notice Missouri also had the knowledge. There was a study done a while ago that covered this and if I find the link I'll post it for you.

Keep in mind that it's not just starting for one game but it's becoming the major starter for the team that drafted them at that position.

Yes please post the article, I would love to read it.

I know you mentioned trades and UFA pickups, but dont forget all/most of those players were drafted at some point.

I am just baffled that teams can have 7+ selections and only make one good choice. That doesn't bode well if our new philosophy is building through the draft.

9. The Following User High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    Yes please post the article, I would love to read it.

I know you mentioned trades and UFA pickups, but dont forget all/most of those players were drafted at some point.

I am just baffled that teams can have 7+ selections and only make one good choice. That doesn't bode well if our new philosophy is building through the draft.
    To be fair if I'm remembering the article correctly I think it was about 1.4 starters per draft. However think about what that means. In a good year a team can expect to draft two starters maybe two back-ups/special teamers. Which makes up for the teams that only get back-ups or for down years, or for freak injuries. That's a pretty good draft.

I'm just happy Sundquist is gone and that now we have a shot at reaching something like that. Mikey should have fired him long ago.

11. The Following User High Fived Fan in Exile For This Post:

To be fair if I'm remembering the article correctly I think it was about 1.4 starters per draft. However think about what that means. In a good year a team can expect to draft two starters maybe two back-ups/special teamers. Which makes up for the teams that only get back-ups or for down years, or for freak injuries. That's a pretty good draft.

I'm just happy Sundquist is gone and that now we have a shot at reaching something like that. Mikey should have fired him long ago.
    but in some cases only one if that stuck with the team more than a couple of years..

look at the class of 04 nothing left of it and frankly nothing should be cause it was stinker draft.. foster waht a joke as a OT can;t even hold the job on the Loins that is how far we had sunk, keeping him as an OT..

In everything else mikey does he excels why not the draft area? is it scouting, a pseudo GM or is it just plain bad judgment..

Please never tell anyone on here that Ted was making the choices all by himself...

Mikey approves of everything that happens on this team.. DO not be naive enough to think other wise..

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

but in some cases only one if that stuck with the team more than a couple of years..

look at the class of 04 nothing left of it and frankly nothing should be cause it was stinker draft.. foster waht a joke as a OT can;t even hold the job on the Loins that is how far we had sunk, keeping him as an OT..

In everything else mikey does he excels why not the draft area? is it scouting, a pseudo GM or is it just plain bad judgment..

Please never tell anyone on here that Ted was making the choices all by himself...

Mikey approves of everything that happens on this team.. DO not be naive enough to think other wise..
    As long as we are asking people to not do things. Please stop with all the DAFT talk it's really boring and derails otherwise good threads. At the same time I shouldn't be naive, don't you think that you know what goes on inside dove valley.

As long as we are asking people to not do things. Please stop with all the DAFT talk it's really boring and derails otherwise good threads. At the same time I shouldn't be naive, don't you think that you know what goes on inside dove valley.
    If you have not noticed over the past 13 years or so.. there is one mouth piece for the Broncos that is mikey.. Pat occasionally has comments, but staff wise mikey says it all.. at least everything I've been privy to.. This is also stating I may not hear it all because I do not see local DEN TV.. But what I see on NFL network or Bronco TV Mikey does the talking..

Pats comments after last season and before FA and the draft about we are going in a new direction building this team via the draft and staying away from past practices of spending lots of money on FA. said a mouthful to me that he was not happy how this team was headed..

IIRC That had never happened before Pat speaking about policy about player acquisitions

NOW adding all that up the subtle hint in there is do it my way and get results or your gone.. ..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information