Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Remember Denver back in the day?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Charley Martin, Denver radio legend, dead at 67 in Phoenix

Charley Martin, a Denver legend from the glory days of radio, died Friday at age 67. Martin had been ill for some time, living under hospice care in Phoenix.

He was half of "Hal and Charley," the dominant morning team on Denver's KHOW, launched in 1976 and lasting for decades.

"We had a great run. It's been difficult," said Hal Moore, Martin's partner for some 28 years.

Moore remembered Martin as "an incredibly smart, bright, talented person." The two started in radio in Des Moines, Iowa, when Martin was still in high school, working weekends with Moore at KSO, a top-40 station.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...end-dead-at-67

RIP Charley - I loved listening to Hal and Charley

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Unbelievable!!!! What a great ride down memory lane. You and I Painterdave probably rubbed elbows at some of those places. Your memory is incredible. I was also at many of the same venues and concerts in Denver. The best was the Pink Floyd concert. Billy Joel concert I believe at the then new Mcnicols Arena. Sat 4 seats from Kristy Brinkley. Remember the COOL concerts at Mile High Stadium? Got such a sunburn at one of them I had to medicate. Moved to Denver from Chicago in 1973 out of high school to go to Denver and Diesel College. Then worked at Goodro Ford and Doengess Glass/Mike Naughton Ford for many years. I remember slot car racing at Cinderella City and at Jimbo's on Mississippi Ave by Washington Park. I moved to Oregon in 2007 to take care of my mom before her passing. My Sweet Lass was my favorite 3.2 joint. So many chicks, so little time Went to a whole bunch of Bronco games, even when they stunk. Used to work on Craig Mortons car at Naughton's and many other Bronco players too. Used to go to Northglen to Pinkies, Played John Elway and Gary Kubbiac some pool there. Also used to hustle other Bronco players at pool at the Winners Circle by Alemeda and I-225. Did plenty of crusing on 16th street, got tickets from Buster Snyder. Then we'd race over the Colfax viaduct or out at Stapleton Dr.
    Thanks for the memories Painterdave ..................... great job
    GO BRONCOS w/Dr. Manning

I take that back it was Celebrity Sports Center we'd race slot cars .................. been so long hard to remember

5. The Following User High Fived lencac For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by lencac View Post
    I take that back it was Celebrity Sports Center we'd race slot cars .................. been so long hard to remember
    I miss Celebrity Sports Center. Its a Home Depot now. I did some reading on it recently, I never knew that it was essentially a training ground for Disney employees (as it was originally brought here by Walt Disney and his partners). I just remember it as a place that my parents would drop me off to swim and play arcade games at. Cool bowling alley, too!

7. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

We did Lakeside twice this summer, buy 1 ticket get 2nd visit free. $20/person for 2 visits kicks the shit out if $40/person for a 2 hour line at Elitches. The rides aren't scary, they look like it, but not scary. The newscasters kid who died....died on the roller coaster because the dumbass unbuckled his seat belt and stood up on the hill. I love Lakeside, grew up on it. They dont have a clising time. They have an approximate. If enough people are there having fun, they'll give you an extra 30 minutes. The new Elitches sold out, moved and now sucks monkey balls.

Something my teenagers taught me. tubing downstream in Golden. So fun.

I miss being able to have my kids out riding their bikes past dark,
    Last edited by GEM; 09-14-2013 at 08:49 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    We did Lakeside twice this summer, buy 1 ticket get 2nd visit free. $20/person for 2 visits kicks the shit out if $40/person for a 2 hour line at Elitches. The rides aren't scary, they look like it, but not scary. The newscasters kid who died....died on the roller coaster because the dumbass unbuckled his seat belt and stood up on the hill. I love Lakeside, grew up on it. They dont have a clising time. They have an approximate. If enough people are there having fun, they'll give you an extra 30 minutes. The new Elitches sold out, moved and now sucks monkey balls.

Something my teenagers taught me. tubing downstream in Golden. So fun.

I miss being able to have my kids out riding their bikes past dark,
    I went to Lakeside for the first time since I was a kid with my son this June and had a blast. I always did prefer the old Elitches though. The Log Ride with the "Gum Tree" is one of my earliest memories. At least the theater is still there (I think). Lakeside in it's heyday would have been awesome though. Back when the racetrack was still open it sounded like a real life American Graffiti every weekend.

Incidentally I went to an antique shop on Broadway the other day and saw some old kiddie land ride cars (a bumblebee and a horse) from Lakeside for sale. If I had room to put them somewhere I would have bought them!

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I went to Lakeside for the first time since I was a kid with my son this June and had a blast. I always did prefer the old Elitches though. The Log Ride with the "Gum Tree" is one of my earliest memories. At least the theater is still there (I think). Lakeside in it's heyday would have been awesome though. Back when the racetrack was still open it sounded like a real life American Graffiti every weekend.

Incidentally I went to an antique shop on Broadway the other day and saw some old kiddie land ride cars (a bumblebee and a horse) from Lakeside for sale. If I had room to put them somewhere I would have bought them!
    I loved, loved, loved the old Elitches. Despise the corporate new one. It feels like a money grab walking through the gate. Its nowhere near comparable to a Magic Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm or Disneyland, but the prices are. I just hate the place.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information