Thread: Anatomy of a Play: Royal times two

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Anatomy of a Play: Royal times two

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

Videos at the link...

Anatomy of a Play: Royal times two

NFL Films

Last weekend in Denver, head referee Ed Hochuli made a huge mistake on a call that many are saying cost the San Diego Chargers the game.

Still, after Hochuli's premature whistle, San Diego -- which had already allowed 34 first downs and nearly 500 yards of offense -- had two more chances to win the game. On fourth-and-goal from the 4-yard line, the Broncos went with a spread formation. Brandon Marshall was the only receiver split to Jay Cutler's right. To Cutler's left were three receivers in a bunch: Tony Scheffler in the middle, Brandon Stokley on the inside, and Eddie Royal on the outside.

Scheffler ran a corner route to the back pylon, Stokley ran a quick out to the flat, and Eddie Royal ran what is referred to as a "jerk route." A jerk route is when the receiver releases hard inside like he will attack across the field, stops as if he will break back to the outside, and then starts again in his original direction. The stopping and starting nature of the route makes it ideal for a quick receiver such as Royal.

The Chargers dropped eight defenders into coverage and rushed Cutler with only three; 309-pound Igor Olshansky was the eighth pass defender. Before the snap, he aligned as a defensive tackle. But after the snap, he dropped into coverage, turned toward the bunch, and looked to cover any underneath route coming at him.

Royal's jerk route was heading right for Olshansky and the defensive lineman was forced to match up. Expecting Olshansky to cover Royal is like asking Shaq to guard Allen Iverson. Saying it's a mismatch is an understatement. When Royal stopped, so did Olshansky. When Royal started again, Olshansky didn't, and Royal was wide open. A so-so pass by Cutler was still an easy touchdown and the Broncos closed the gap to one.

But coach Mike Shanahan didn't want one.

Not only did he go for two, Shanahan called the exact same play as the touchdown. It was the same personnel, formation, and route combination. Again, Eddie Royal was Jay Cutler's primary target, running a jerk route.

The difference was in San Diego's defense. The Chargers dropped seven and rushed four and did a better job guarding Royal. It was a good matchup, with athletic safety Eric Weddle responsible for the jerk route. The four-man rush pressured Cutler, forcing him to slide left and make an off-balance throw. Weddle did a decent job on Royal, but the rookie receiver still managed to make a play.

There are reasons why the Chargers deserved to win the game and reasons why they deserved to lose it, like their inability to cover Eddie Royal on two jerk routes.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 11 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

I watched this about 6 times in the past 6 days.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Benetto For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    I watched this about 6 times in the past 6 days.
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome...it was the top story today on NFL.com.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome...it was the top story today on NFL.com.
    As it very well should be.

According to Cutler on the Jay Cutler Show (CBS4 and FSN Rocky Mountain), Royal was not the primary receiver. In both cases, Marshall was the primary receiver and if he was single covered, then Cutler would throw one of those high fade passes to the back right corner for Marhsall.

Then, Stokely was the second option, running a sideways curl (Cutler called it something else, but I forget, where Stokely ran like he was going for the back left corner, but then curled back and stopped to catch a pass right on the goal line. Royal running the Jerk route was the third option.

8. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    According to Cutler on the Jay Cutler Show (CBS4 and FSN Rocky Mountain), Royal was not the primary receiver. In both cases, Marshall was the primary receiver and if he was single covered, then Cutler would throw one of those high fade passes to the back right corner for Marhsall.

Then, Stokely was the second option, running a sideways curl (Cutler called it something else, but I forget, where Stokely ran like he was going for the back left corner, but then curled back and stopped to catch a pass right on the goal line. Royal running the Jerk route was the third option.
    That's funny, because according to Marshall on the Dan Patrick show on Monday, Marshall wasn't even one of the first three options...that Eddie was the No. 1 on both, according to him.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    That's funny, because according to Marshall on the Dan Patrick show on Monday, Marshall wasn't even one of the first three options...that Eddie was the No. 1 on both, according to him.
    Well, Cutler drew out the play (both of them) on the telestrator, and claims he told Marshall that if he was single covered, to be ready for a pass into the corner.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Scheffler ran a corner route to the back pylon, Stokley ran a quick out to the flat, and Eddie Royal ran what is referred to as a "jerk route." A jerk route is when the receiver releases hard inside like he will attack across the field, stops as if he will break back to the outside, and then starts again in his original direction. The stopping and starting nature of the route makes it ideal for a quick receiver such as Royal.
    Posted in April:
    Double moves, quick hitches, WR screens, pitches...Eddie Royal is gonna win. In the open field, Eddie's likely to win. Corners who like to bite on angles? Eddie can change direction FAST - he's gonna win.

Where he's not gonna win are jump balls, Deep routes w/o double moves (That give the faster cb's time to recover), and currently sharp post routes (he rounds off routes right now which will allow DBs recovery time as well - Stokley will teach him how not to do that).

Press coverage shouldn't bother him too much - that's the reason he's a strong, STRONG dude, to make up for his size that way.

I look forward to watching Royal take WR screens to the same side that Marshall is on and having Giant Marshall seal the side for Royal to explode down the sideline.

That should be fun.

Double moves making a guy look stupid as Royal stops and starts again while the DB's shoes are falling off should also be amusing.

We'll see how much of that we see from him the first year and how much has to wait for year 2+ as he learns his way around the pros.
    Between Hall getting embarrassed the first week and the touchdown and 2-point conversion the second week, I'm so glad we don't have to wait for year 2 like I was expecting. And Eddie's change-of-direction ability is being put to immediate use by our offense.

He's soaked up pro coaching like a sponge and is spitting it all back out on the field in points and yards come game day.

I love it.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A 300 pound DT on Royal is a match made in heaven.

15. The Following User High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Cutler is probably throwing up some smoke screens saying Brandon was #1 option...

Shanny taught him good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

I like how there were 3 DBs on Marshall's side of the field on the TD and then 2 guys blanketing him on the 2 point conversion. Marshall's beastliness totally opened up the middle of the field on both plays.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

18. The Following User High Fived honz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    I like how there were 3 DBs on Marshall's side of the field on the TD and then 2 guys blanketing him on the 2 point conversion. Marshall's beastliness totally opened up the middle of the field on both plays.
    Which is exactly what Cutler said. Marshall being on the side by himself was designed to draw coverage over there, but if they decided to single cover him, then Cutler would go to him, like he had 18 times earlier in the game, but if Marshall drew double coverage, then Stokely and Royal were the options.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

It nice that right now Denver has options in the passing game. Double cover Marshall means Royal, Stokely, and Scheffer have the opportunity to make plays. Play a zone to cover all four, let Marshall destroy his defender.

I still am concern about the ability to run the ball right now.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    It nice that right now Denver has options in the passing game. Double cover Marshall means Royal, Stokely, and Scheffer have the opportunity to make plays. Play a zone to cover all four, let Marshall destroy his defender.

I still am concern about the ability to run the ball right now.
    Our RBs are averaging 5.3 YPC as a group right now. Our running game has been pretty decent, but we just haven't had to run very much.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    Our RBs are averaging 5.3 YPC as a group right now. Our running game has been pretty decent, but we just haven't had to run very much.

wait till they have to run and I suspect that the 5.2 will not hold up..

25. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information