Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive coordinator gets to call plays for Fox's Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I still dont like it. We are talking about tim tebow here. Not ryan leaf.

Tebow does not need to be handled with kids gloves and conservative play calling. He is not the kind of person that gets his confidence shattered. I dont care if he tossed 4 pick 6s. Do you think that will phase him?

Of course not. It will only piss him off more. Remeber his college speach? He does not get down on himself. He gets revenge. He would be in the film room all night, and throwin passes into buckets he tapes on walls til 3 in the morning. We do not need to keep him in check. What we need to do is loosen the slack, cut him loose and see what he has got.

All i know is we can not/could not score many points in the first half, then when we let tim do his thing he lights up the score board and brings us wins or within a couple plays of winning.

I do not like the obvious qb keepers, the runs, runs and runs out of the same formation on first down. I do not like little check down passes or bubble screens that we kept and kept calling. I DID like that when we needed to move the chains we did, and that when we needed to score we did and that when inside the redzone TT always got us a TD 100% of the time..except for the texans game where he through the int.

I am not saying he is ready to go all out, but he is a different type of player and different type of person, who does not need to be cradled into the game. He is more a trial by fire and better off when we do not limit him.

I suspect you will see more this coming year. I wouldnt fret that much over the playcalling for 3 games homie.

2. The Following 7 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    Now everyone supports McCoy for his playcalling? Everyone thinks that running our QBoTF into a hungry defense over and over again with horrible QB draw plays was actually a GOOD thing for Tebow now? Running the same horrible off-tackle against the Raiders in our own endzone was ok...? Come on guys...

Come on... It was some of the worst playcalling the NFL has ever witnessed. He didn't look like an NFL playcaller until the 2nd half of the Houston game. Supporting your team is one thing, but ignoring an obvious and blatant deficiency in what McCoy did is another.

I'm all for giving him this year to prove he is an adequate OC, but to say that he did the right thing by calling some of the worst plays in NFL history really doesn't help justify it.
    Well if you watched the Raiders game and were paying attention it was mentioned several times at the beginning of the game that the gameplan was scaled back for Tim Tebow-with Tim's input!

McCoy was smart enough to go straight to Tebow and allow him to assist in creating the gameplan and picking the plays that would be used against the Raiders. So why should McCoy take ALL of the heat for that gameplan?

Tebow wasn't named the starter until later in the week and that played into the situation.

At the end of the day they opened up the playbook against Houston and SD and Tebow looked as good as you could expect from a 3 game starter and McCoy's playcalling got better despite it being McDaniels' system and plays.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived jhildebrand For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    The play calling at the end of season was frustrating but honestly McCoy was right in how he handled Tebow those last three games. Maybe there were a few more things he could have done with Tebow but overall I think McCoy did the right thing.
    Honestly, Tebow/McCoy scored more points than Orton/McDaniels. I think with a good TC and a running game, we should be fine.

6. The Following 7 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Honestly, Tebow/McCoy scored more points than Orton/McDaniels. I think with a good TC and a running game, we should be fine.
    A young quarterback especially has three BFFs.

1.) A solid running game.

2.) A solid receiving tight end.

3.) A strong defense.

Give a young quarterback with talent those three things and he'll have a very good chance of succeeding.

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    A young quarterback especially has three BFFs.

1.) A solid running game.

Matt Forte

2.) A solid receiving tight end.

Olsen

3.) A strong defense.

Bears defense

Give a young quarterback with talent those three things and he'll have a very good chance of succeeding.

Sounds really familiar doesnt it? Cant be coincidence.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yep.

It is also basically formula that the Falcons, the Ravens, and the Steelers have used for their franchise quarterbacks. I guess you could also put the Chargers in that category as well.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Put your cutlerboner away.....

...its scaring the pets.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

That is just to name one example. There are a few more and the Broncos are not one of them.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

15. The Following User High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

What was McCoy supposed to do? He was a lame duck situation if there ever was one.

17. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    Well if you watched the Raiders game and were paying attention it was mentioned several times at the beginning of the game that the gameplan was scaled back for Tim Tebow-with Tim's input!

McCoy was smart enough to go straight to Tebow and allow him to assist in creating the gameplan and picking the plays that would be used against the Raiders. So why should McCoy take ALL of the heat for that gameplan?

Tebow wasn't named the starter until later in the week and that played into the situation.

At the end of the day they opened up the playbook against Houston and SD and Tebow looked as good as you could expect from a 3 game starter and McCoy's playcalling got better despite it being McDaniels' system and plays.
    Everyone KNOWS the playbook was scaled back lol... NO ONE is arguing that. It still doesn't justify the horrible playcall we all witnessed, it was embarrassingly bad playcall at every inopportune moments of the game. Of course it was scaled back, Tebow hadn't had any reps during the season thanks to McDumbass, but the playcalling was still very suspect.

As I said before, McCoy came around in the last 2 games. He absolutely SUCKED in the first 2 games he called, don't forget he called the Arizona game as well.

I'm not worried about McCoy, I think he showed enough improvement to have hope. I wanted to retain him if for nothing more than the fact he has worked with TT and knows what Tim can and can't do right now. I was glad to see McCoy come back as the OC, but I will simply not be a HOMER and justify his playcalling in the Arizona, Oakland, and 1st half of the Houston game, it was putrid, absolutely horrible.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    Put your cutlerboner away.....

...its scaring the pets.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Indeed, if i was banging this i would have a boner for sure.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Everyone KNOWS the playbook was scaled back lol... NO ONE is arguing that. It still doesn't justify the horrible playcall we all witnessed, it was embarrassingly bad playcall at every inopportune moments of the game. Of course it was scaled back, Tebow hadn't had any reps during the season thanks to McDumbass, but the playcalling was still very suspect.

As I said before, McCoy came around in the last 2 games. He absolutely SUCKED in the first 2 games he called, don't forget he called the Arizona game as well.

I'm not worried about McCoy, I think he showed enough improvement to have hope. I wanted to retain him if for nothing more than the fact he has worked with TT and knows what Tim can and can't do right now. I was glad to see McCoy come back as the OC, but I will simply not be a HOMER and justify his playcalling in the Arizona, Oakland, and 1st half of the Houston game, it was putrid, absolutely horrible.
    How do you know that the calls made, the ones you seem to have such a problem with, weren't made by McCoy at Tebow's request for the given situation? Nobody knows. Tebow could have had more to do with that than McCoy.

At the end of the day, if this team can run the ball effectively 25 times per game average, I don't care what plays they call. A good running game and Tebow and all the side discussions about him i.e. mechanics don't matter.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    How do you know that the calls made, the ones you seem to have such a problem with, weren't made by McCoy at Tebow's request for the given situation? Nobody knows. Tebow could have had more to do with that than McCoy.

At the end of the day, if this team can run the ball effectively 25 times per game average, I don't care what plays they call. A good running game and Tebow and all the side discussions about him i.e. mechanics don't matter.
    So your theory is the OC acquiesced to a rookie QB?

I hope to God that is not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

23. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

I got sick of the draws too, but in hind site, I think he made a good decision choosing to be so conservative.

It's not like winning was at the top of our priority list by that time, and had Tebow gone in and thrown a bunch of pick-6's to close out the season, his confidence would have definately been shaken. Not to mention how much that would have fueled all the doubters for the entire offseason.

I think the draws served their purpose. Get him some experience, let him learn for himself that running all the time isn't going to cut it. They opened it up a bit as the season closed out and Tebow took advantage of it. The conservative playcalling could very well be the reason we're all so excited about his potential for next season.

Great job by McCoy if you ask me.

you admit tebow never got snaps in the season so his knowledge was extremely lacking

you admit mccoy didnt call the offense all season and used mcds for the last games

you admit both tebow and mccoy were thrust into it

you admit what we could do was scaled back because of the previous mentioned items

you admit his playcalling got better the further he got into it

and yet you still cant get over some calls in his first game with a rookie qb that never took meaningful snaps all season

sounds like your aurgueing for the sake of aurgueing

26. The Following 3 Users High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information