Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams? More Like Special ED!

Default Special Teams? More Like Special ED!

HIXON: OK so somebody the other day was trying to explain how Hixon could take it to the house if he had a block or two. I'm sorry i'm just not buying it. In fact ive never bought into the whole Hixon idea. Alot of guys were really high on him last year before he was hurt and all I heard was "OMG!!! Watch out for Hixon, he's going to be a beast!!!" Then BAM he's out for the whole year. He doesn't ever look like a threat in the return game. In fact ID RATHER HAVE SUBWAY BOY BACK. At least Circus Kircus can knock you out. Well not really but is there anyone out there that legit in the return game? Bloom? Give one of our guys a try maybe? Selvin Young ( just hold on to the ball)? Bmarsh?

ST COACH: Bob Slowik, what is this guys day job? I dont see any changes. Why not mix things up? Anyone going to light a fire under his ass?

ST CAPTAIN: So Burns is now an assistant. Id really like to see Shanny make a change here. If Slowik doesnt show signs of improvement by our next game the I say give Burns a try. Burns has a long history in special teams. This would allow Slowik to concentrate only on DBs which I think is important. But who is the ST CAPTAIN on the field? Anyone know? Someone needs to take leadership here and not let onside kick bloopers happen like they did against Shoate. Someone needs to keep these guys focused.

Comments???

Do you or would you guys like to see the Broncos make any changes here?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

I was expecting good things from Hixon this year. Last year, after seeing some film of him in college, and the way the ocaches talked about him, he sounded like a solid prospect. However I will agree with you. The man doesn;t move downfield enough. Great returners like Hester immediately start getting downfield. They find holes while they are getting yards. Hixon dances to much. To much, hop to left and move forward type of crap. The blockign is terrible infront of him, but that is no excuse for poor running IMO. The fumble is just another reason to not like his level of play on ST so far....

As for putting someone in like Selvin in there, I am mildly pessimistic about such transitions. Young from my understanding has never been a return man. It is not easy to just slot someone into the position. That's how you get muffed kicks. Ala Cedric Cobbs last year. Awareness of both people coming downfield, and catching the ball are important. I think Young provides the things you want physically from a returner, but I wouldn;t want him to be fitted into the position unless he had a couple weeks experience catching and fielding kicks in practice.

As for Slowik, I thought the guy should of been canned last year. Some players were held onto (like Andre Hall) only because of how they could contribute to ST in the future (even though Hal ldoesn;t suit up ). I want to see ST shaken up, and soon. At this pace they may do worse then last year, and that's making a statement, and not the type you want to....

Yeah, ST suck so far, and if it wasn;t for all of last years problems I wouldn;t be to worried about it. But seeing little to no improvement on ST from last year, I'm ready to pull the trigger personally on ST, and call them for what I've seen in 3 games.
    Temp sig till I find another one

Quote Originally Posted by BigBroncLove View Post
    At this pace they may do worse then last year, and that's making a statement, and not the type you want to....

Yeah, ST suck so far, and if it wasn;t for all of last years problems I wouldn;t be to worried about it. But seeing little to no improvement on ST from last year, I'm ready to pull the trigger personally on ST, and call them for what I've seen in 3 games.

i didnt think that was possible...until this year of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBroncLove View Post
    I was expecting good things from Hixon this year. Last year, after seeing some film of him in college, and the way the ocaches talked about him, he sounded like a solid prospect. However I will agree with you. The man doesn;t move downfield enough. Great returners like Hester immediately start getting downfield. They find holes while they are getting yards. Hixon dances to much. To much, hop to left and move forward type of crap. The blockign is terrible infront of him, but that is no excuse for poor running IMO. The fumble is just another reason to not like his level of play on ST so far....

As for putting someone in like Selvin in there, I am mildly pessimistic about such transitions. Young from my understanding has never been a return man. It is not easy to just slot someone into the position. That's how you get muffed kicks. Ala Cedric Cobbs last year. Awareness of both people coming downfield, and catching the ball are important. I think Young provides the things you want physically from a returner, but I wouldn;t want him to be fitted into the position unless he had a couple weeks experience catching and fielding kicks in practice.

As for Slowik, I thought the guy should of been canned last year. Some players were held onto (like Andre Hall) only because of how they could contribute to ST in the future (even though Hal ldoesn;t suit up ). I want to see ST shaken up, and soon. At this pace they may do worse then last year, and that's making a statement, and not the type you want to....

i dont get how you want hixon to move around more . . . .im by no means down on hixon but im not high on him either, i just think he deserves a chance, look at hesters room when he fields the kick people are knocking the gunners and everyone else around and he has at least 10-15 on almost every return.

hixon usually has someone around his ankle so hes trying to get out of that while at the same time avoiding the 2-3 guys in his face. and he sonly had 1 fumble although costly i bet if you put hixon in our return game you wouldnt get much better results maybe on a risk or 2 but not consistently
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

As to Selvin Young's experience as a returner, here are his stats from UT
    Speedy, quick and explosive fifth-year running back ... played in 49 career games, starting 16, and rushed 365 times for 1,713 yards (No. 19 on UT's all-time list) and 25 TDs ... also returned 43 kickoffs for 994 yards (23.1 ypr) and a TD and eight punts for 139 yards (17.4 ypr) and two TDs .

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.c...ange_well_id=2

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    i dont get how you want hixon to move around more . . . .im by no means down on hixon but im not high on him either, i just think he deserves a chance, look at hesters room when he fields the kick people are knocking the gunners and everyone else around and he has at least 10-15 on almost every return.

hixon usually has someone around his ankle so hes trying to get out of that while at the same time avoiding the 2-3 guys in his face. and he sonly had 1 fumble although costly i bet if you put hixon in our return game you wouldnt get much better results maybe on a risk or 2 but not consistently
    It's not that he doesn;t move around enough, it's that he doesn't start moving downfield while he's doing it. Watch Hester, or ROssum, or Carr, or some of the better returners IMO in the league. When they get the ball, they make people miss while moving downfield. Hixon on the other hand tends to dance a little. Stays near the same field position, but tries to juke them. That's what I am talking about. By doing that also, it's harder to start accelerating and makes it easier for people moving upfield to tackle him. Speed increases your chance of people being blocked out of the way, or missing the tackle, and something I don't see Hixon using to his advantage (because he has plenty of it). Just my opinion, but that's what I get from watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by wandlc View Post
    Speedy, quick and explosive fifth-year running back ... played in 49 career games, starting 16, and rushed 365 times for 1,713 yards (No. 19 on UT's all-time list) and 25 TDs ... also returned 43 kickoffs for 994 yards (23.1 ypr) and a TD and eight punts for 139 yards (17.4 ypr) and two TDs .

Wow, I had no idea. Were any of his many injuries on ST? if not, I'd say fit him in the lineup, because the kid has speed, vision, and some power...

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Wasn't or isn't Slovik the DB coach?

Either way.....if you have Champ, DJ, and others (starting D) on there how can you fault the coach?

Quote Originally Posted by wandlc View Post

thanks for the stats,

thats why i brought up his name in the first place. i think he's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Wasn't or isn't Slovik the DB coach?

Either way.....if you have Champ, DJ, and others (starting D) on there how can you fault the coach?
    he's coaching both special teams AND dbs. imo i think thats too much. special teams is too important to skimp on and needs someones full devotion to it. slowik needs to only coach dbs...he does fine here.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    he's coaching both special teams AND dbs. imo i think thats too much. special teams is too important to skimp on and needs someones full devotion to it. slowik needs to only coach dbs...he does fine here.
    Maybe that explains why Champ is out there...or Champ wants to be out there.

All I know is thank God Champ has been out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Maybe that explains why Champ is out there...or Champ wants to be out there.

All I know is thank God Champ has been out there.
    i think champ has saved 2 or 3 touchdowns on special teams already this year. in reality he shouldnt be out there but he said it himself he wants to be out there and more involved. in fact he would play wr if they let him. but having him out there risk a big injury...i really dont like it only for that reason.

i thought scott o' brian was our special teams coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    i thought scott o' brian was our special teams coach
    yep, yep he is...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...contentID=6955
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    a couple of weeks back it had Slowik listed.

anyhow....hixons still a problem.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information