Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Metallica: Death Magnetic

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i'll take the blame. . .

let's just say that you were conspicuous by your absence. . . .

classic. . . . it was all down hill from there. . . .

Oh yea.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I'll fight anyone who says Metallica sold out on the Black album... All they did was write an epic album that appealed to a shit-ton of people...

And I was actually one of the people who got "sued" by Metallica and banned from Napster. I thought it was an A-hole thing to do, and I hate it when Lars opens his mouth-- But that doesn't change the fact that Metallica ******* rules, and are one of the better live shows you can see as a rock/metal fan.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I just saw them at Ozzfest and James sounded better live than he does on the new album. That being said, it is a ton better than Crap and Re-Crap and St. Crap

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I'll fight anyone who says Metallica sold out on the Black album... All they did was write an epic album that appealed to a shit-ton of people...

And I was actually one of the people who got "sued" by Metallica and banned from Napster. I thought it was an A-hole thing to do, and I hate it when Lars opens his mouth-- But that doesn't change the fact that Metallica ******* rules, and are one of the better live shows you can see as a rock/metal fan.
    Where to go with this....

Firstly, sucks you got sued. That whole ordeal was garbage so sorry to hear that. Secondly, the Black Albums was "ok" but i wouldnt call it epic. I dont think they sold out on it but they were definitely pushing the commerical aspect a bit more. I think even they were a bit surprised of how well received the video and single for "one" was. And thirdly, i got a chance in 2001 to catch them live for the first time. I was terrified i was going to hear a lot of newer stuff but i was pleased that a majority of the show consisted of older material. So yes, they do kick ass live although not quite as good as Slayer live.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Where to go with this....

Firstly, sucks you got sued. That whole ordeal was garbage so sorry to hear that. Secondly, the Black Albums was "ok" but i wouldnt call it epic. I dont think they sold out on it but they were definitely pushing the commerical aspect a bit more. I think even they were a bit surprised of how well received the video and single for "one" was. And thirdly, i got a chance in 2001 to catch them live for the first time. I was terrified i was going to hear a lot of newer stuff but i was pleased that a majority of the show consisted of older material. So yes, they do kick ass live although not quite as good as Slayer live.
    It's all subjective of course. I've seen Slayer a couple times and I just don't think they're in the same echelon as Metallica-- But I tend to lean toward more melodic rock than I do true metal in terms of my music taste, so I can understand where true metal fans would enjoy Slayer more than Metallica. That being said, I definitely enjoyed Slayer's shows, just not as much as the Metallica shows I've seen.

As far as getting sued went, I didn't take it too personally, I figured it was a business decision. A decision I didn't agree with, but I could somewhat see their motivation. I think I probably became more disenchanted with the band when I saw Some Kind of Monster and realized what egomaniacs Lars and James are.

I have sort of a love hate relationship with them now. I hate the fact that they charge $118 for 1 freaking ticket, I hate their egos, but I like their music so damn much I feel obligated to stick with em.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    It's all subjective of course. I've seen Slayer a couple times and I just don't think they're in the same echelon as Metallica-- But I tend to lean toward more melodic rock than I do true metal in terms of my music taste, so I can understand where true metal fans would enjoy Slayer more than Metallica. That being said, I definitely enjoyed Slayer's shows, just not as much as the Metallica shows I've seen.

As far as getting sued went, I didn't take it too personally, I figured it was a business decision. A decision I didn't agree with, but I could somewhat see their motivation. I think I probably became more disenchanted with the band when I saw Some Kind of Monster and realized what egomaniacs Lars and James are.

I have sort of a love hate relationship with them now. I hate the fact that they charge $118 for 1 freaking ticket, I hate their egos, but I like their music so damn much I feel obligated to stick with em.

For me, its not really about enjoying Slayer's music more than Metallica's. Just their live shows but like you said, its subjective. To me, Master of Puppets is still one of the best albums ever made. As for the Napster thing, it rubbed me the wrong way because Metallica themselves made a name by doing virtually the same thing only not through the internet. They as a band and label did a lot of tape trading early in their career to get their name out and it eventually caught the ears of Ozzy Osbourne. From there is was history but for them to turn around and try and sue or crush the type of media outlet that would allow other bands to get recognition was absurd in my opinion. And of course then there was the music change but i can live with that as i just didnt bother with them much anymore after that. I too caught some of Some Kind of Monster and was angry that Lars gave Kirk such a hard time about wanting to do solos on the record. It just blew my mind and i was surprised Kirk just didnt walk out all together.

8. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information