Thread: 2011 draft and the lockout

Default 2011 draft and the lockout

If there is a lockout next year like most everyone thinks there will be, anyone know exactly what happens? Are we possibly getting hyped at the likes of Fairley and Bowers, when if everything is pushed a year back guys like Luck will likely be involved and others?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

The 2011 draft will take place no matter what.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

What happens though? If there is no CBA, the players drafted cannot sign. There are also 2 glaring problems with a lockout next year.

1) The NFL is not going to run the 2011 draft and the 2012 draft with teams drafting in the same position. They aren't going to give the Panthers the #1 pick 2 years in a row.

If they do have both drafts, how will they determine the 2012 draft? Drawing?

2) If they draft in 2011, and there is a lockout, no players can sign and they would all go back in to the pool for 2012 (assuming this is what's going to happen). This means Denver 2011 draft picks go back into the draft and Denver loses their rights for the 2012 draft. At least we would have more elite options to choose from.

I know the draft is a long ways off, but maybe it's a good idea if we don;t get too attatched to the players in Denver's draft this year.

4. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Seems like a screwy deal if they can't get things worked out by March!! hard to feel pity for either side!!

Do ANY of you really think there wont be, albeit shortened, a 2011 season? C'mon.
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    What happens though? If there is no CBA, the players drafted cannot sign. There are also 2 glaring problems with a lockout next year.

1) The NFL is not going to run the 2011 draft and the 2012 draft with teams drafting in the same position. They aren't going to give the Panthers the #1 pick 2 years in a row.

If they do have both drafts, how will they determine the 2012 draft? Drawing?

2) If they draft in 2011, and there is a lockout, no players can sign and they would all go back in to the pool for 2012 (assuming this is what's going to happen). This means Denver 2011 draft picks go back into the draft and Denver loses their rights for the 2012 draft. At least we would have more elite options to choose from.

I know the draft is a long ways off, but maybe it's a good idea if we don;t get too attatched to the players in Denver's draft this year.
    I am searching for confirmation but I assume that they players drafted will be property of said team until a new CBA is agreed to. No point to have a draft if players go into pool for next year.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Who knows whats going to happen but safe to say i bet they get a deal done. There is just too much money to be had and made as NFL football is still the best thing going in America.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    I am searching for confirmation but I assume that they players drafted will be property of said team until a new CBA is agreed to. No point to have a draft if players go into pool for next year.
    I agree, but it will be interesting if that's the case on what happens to the draft order the following year. I cannot see the NFL allow a team to hold the #1 pick to years in a row through a lockout season.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Got confirmation from Eric Edholm Pro Football Weekly that the teams have rights to the players drafted of course not negotiating, work outs, until new CBA.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Cameron Heyward-DL-Player Jan. 21 - 1:30 pm et

Ohio State DL Cameron Heyward reportedly had elbow surgery recently, "and may be out for a while."

It sounds like something that could knock Heyward out for February's Combine, and he definitely won't play in next week's Senior Bowl. A powerful down lineman at 6'5/288, Heyward was projected as a late first-round pick.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Cameron Heyward-DL-Player Jan. 21 - 1:30 pm et

Ohio State DL Cameron Heyward reportedly had elbow surgery recently, "and may be out for a while."

It sounds like something that could knock Heyward out for February's Combine, and he definitely won't play in next week's Senior Bowl. A powerful down lineman at 6'5/288, Heyward was projected as a late first-round pick.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx
    Maybe he'll fall into the top of the 2nd round. He looked pretty awesome in their bowl game.

15. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information