Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tarvaris Jackson Benched, Frerotte Starting rest of Year

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Default Tarvaris Jackson Benched, Frerotte Starting rest of Year

Now that didn't take long.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Vikings bench Jackson for Frerotte

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Vikings are benching quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in favor of Gus Frerotte.

Coach Brad Childress said Wednesday that Frerotte will start Sunday against the Carolina Panthers.

Jackson started the first two games, both losses. He completed just 51 percent of his passes in those starts, prompting the coach to turn to 37-year-old journeyman Frerotte.

Frerotte was signed in the offseason to be Jackson's backup, but now finds himself trying to turn around a team that had high expectations to start the season.

Childress said that barring injury, Frerotte will be the quarterback for the rest of the season. However, Childress added he hasn't given up on the 25-year-old Jackson as an option for the team's long term.

2. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Frerotte played pretty well in the pre-season when Jackson was out hurt. They had to do something.

4. The Following User High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I think teams get stuck in the "well we drafted him pretty high, we better give him a shot" and the "pull the plug before I get fired" game too much. What did Tarvaris have to demonstrate he was getting better? Part of last year as a rookie and two games into this year. Maybe he showed no signs of getting it.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Didn't watch the game, but he had a tight end drop a wide-open touchdown pass, right...that probably would've won the game. Quick pull...although I think in the long run probably a good decision.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Didn't watch the game, but he had a tight end drop a wide-open touchdown pass, right...that probably would've won the game. Quick pull...although I think in the long run probably a good decision.
    I'm definitely not a Tarvaris Jackson fan, or really even care for that mater, but why not go and get another QB last year before he even had a chance to play if they weren't sold on him?

He might get it down the road. to much pressure put on QB's to early IMO ruins alot of them..

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    He might get it down the road. to much pressure put on QB's to early IMO ruins alot of them..
    I can't remember where I saw it or heard it, but a former NFL player was talking about how most NFL franchises have no idea on how to really develop a young QB. I think he was using David Carr as an example of a QB who never had a chance due to the coaching he had around him, by the time he had some experience he was too gun-shy and afraid of being sacked or benched by the coach to have the confidence to be a decent player.

It's an interesting way to look at things.

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

i swiped up frerotte with a quickness for my fantasy team.

13. The Following User High Fived jrelway For This Post:

another not ready for primetime QB
    new boss....possibly better than old boss

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Good move for the Vikings. Jackson cant hit the broadside of a barn much like Vick. He has great mobility but needs to hon his accuracy skills in the passing game. If Gus had started they would probably be 2-0 right now, 1-1 at the very least. They really needed to get some 1st downs late in both their first two games and couldnt get it done when the opposing defense shut down the run. I think Gus will flourish in that offense but he probably wont be the final answer there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I can't remember where I saw it or heard it, but a former NFL player was talking about how most NFL franchises have no idea on how to really develop a young QB. I think he was using David Carr as an example of a QB who never had a chance due to the coaching he had around him, by the time he had some experience he was too gun-shy and afraid of being sacked or benched by the coach to have the confidence to be a decent player.

It's an interesting way to look at things.
    David Carr is an excellent example that a qb should never start his rookie season unless there is an established line and some skill players to go.
    The same thing happens to Jackson, it happend to Harrington, akili Smith and countless others. And this is what is happening to Vince Young I think.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived haroldthebarrel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Frerotte played pretty well in the pre-season when Jackson was out hurt. They had to do something.
    Frerotte is better at this stage than Jackson, who sucks really. He is down with Rex Grossman and Brodie Croyle as some of the worst Qbs in the NFL.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Default Not a permanent fix

Gus is not a permanent solution to the Vikings quarterback problem. Remember we had him here to. he is not the greatest quarterback out there. He is 37 now. Remember, this is the guy who had a shot in Washington. He screwed it up by hurting himself by headbanging the wall after a touchdown. however, with the talent they have in the backfield, Gus doesn't have to make alot of plays for them. He just needs to be a facilitator like Trent Dilfer was when he was with the Ravens.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived itsdasteve For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by itsdasteve View Post
    Gus is not a permanent solution to the Vikings quarterback problem. Remember we had him here to. he is not the greatest quarterback out there. He is 37 now. Remember, this is the guy who had a shot in Washington. He screwed it up by hurting himself by headbanging the wall after a touchdown. however, with the talent they have in the backfield, Gus doesn't have to make alot of plays for them. He just needs to be a facilitator like Trent Dilfer was when he was with the Ravens.
    No, but with a defense and a running game like that all you need is a qb who doesnt make mistakes. Garcia would make the Vikings a much better team, but Gruden rather have him whining on the bench.

23. The Following User High Fived haroldthebarrel For This Post:

Gus should do a better job for them I think. He's definitely not a long term solution, but should be better then Jackson at this point.

Nothin' but nothin' but Great in 2k8!

25. The Following User High Fived REB For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information