Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4-3/3-4/Tampa 2

Default 4-3/3-4/Tampa 2

Can anyone find a list of teams that run the 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses? Also, can you explain the difference of how the Tampa 2 is different than a normal 4-3? Is there really any other big techniques out there?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I don't know about any of the particulars of any of those. However, on the fan this afternoon, Stink was saying that many times he and Alfred discussed the fact that the Broncos had players on defense this year which fit the 4-3 much better than the 3-4. So possibly the problem on defense was not lack of talent, but the scheme they were playing.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

For the 3-4 I believe there are 13 teams, if you go to ESPN and check the depth chart tab, it tells you what the team runs. I've probably seen a list but forget where...

Here's a couple links that describe the 3-4 & Tampa... If you look at the bottom of the NY Times article you'll see links to the other parts of the series...

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutaz...mpa-2-defense/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...fenses-part-1/

Enjoy...

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived SpringsBroncoFan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Can anyone find a list of teams that run the 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses? Also, can you explain the difference of how the Tampa 2 is different than a normal 4-3? Is there really any other big techniques out there?
    That would be a long explanation. I'd like to see it though.

Wade Phillips 3/4 is different from Rex Ryan's 3/4. Everyone uses cover 2 but not the "Tampa 2". Also you left out the "zone-blitz" scheme used in PIT from a 3/4 alignment. Though Perry Fewell ran some of this from the 4/3 alignment with the Giants. Then there's the PHI defense, an attacking 4/3 and...

Really the alignment doesn't matter, 4/3 or 3/4. What matters is what fits what you want to do as a defense.

Yeah, except for that OTH NT we brought in that gets blown 4 yards off the ball and paid 5 million for!

Edit: that was for Carol above, I hit the quote button but the text went to never never land...

From what I've seen..
    4-3 is better against the run.
    3-4 offers a better pass rush.
    Tampa 2 offers a better pass coverage.

I guess it really depends on personnel.

Can anyone find a list of teams that run the 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses?
    There are fifteen 3-4 teams, fifteen 4-3 teams and two hybrids. The two hybrids are Arizona and New Orleans.

Also, can you explain the difference of how the Tampa 2 is different than a normal 4-3? Is there really any other big techniques out there?
    The 4-3 is a defensive alignment. The Tampa 2 is a coverage scheme that drops a LB into coverage between the two deep zones, essentially turning it into Cover 3. You can, technically, run the Tampa 2 out of any defensive formation, although I don't know of many teams who do and the Tampa 2 is universally linked to the 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by red98 View Post
    Wade Phillips 3/4 is different from Rex Ryan's 3/4.
    Exactly. You have one gapping 3-4 defenses like what Wade Phillips and Dick Lebeau run, and then you have the two gaps, which is basically every other 3-4 defense.
    “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

--Vince Lombardi

9. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    the beer guy

From what I've seen..

A couple of things.....
    4 out of the 5 best run d's this year....3-4 (Chicago Tampa-2 other)

ONLY 2 out of the top 5 pass d's were the 3-4

3 out of 5 "most sacks" 3-4 teams....

What works best is the players you have.... a great defense is great cause they are REALLY good...LOL

The Tampa-2 is probably the best pass defense out there... YES it gives up a ton of yards in small increments. They were the only ones who stopped Rodgers this year. His three games against Chicago's Tampa-2??? IF the CB's make that first tackle its a great defense, and thats what Chicago has....very good tacklers.

Guess what happens when they dont tackle??? See the New england game....

2 td passes 4 picks..... the only game UNDER 113 qb rating in the playoffs? Chicago and he had a 55.4 VERY Orton like

Adopted Bronco:
    Joe Mays

No one runs a true Tampa 2 anymore. Everyone has a different variation of it. Its Monte Kiffin's Defense. People have taken the things they like about it away and made it their own. If we switch to the 4-3 with a Tampa 2 style there is a MLB who knows the system very well. Mays played college ball for Craig Bohl who coached DB's for Kiffin at Nebraska. They ran the same Tampa 2 that Kiffin put in in Tampa.

From what I've seen..

Absolutely not.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Beer Girl

Tampa 2 system, and the Bill Bates 4-3 system.
    No Guts, No Glory

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Tebow is a virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Absolutely not.
    What valuable input!

Only in Westy fashion. Lol
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Doesn't Indy still run the Tampa 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Doesn't Indy still run the Tampa 2?
    At times. They've moved away from it some with Dungy leaving and Coyer being given more control over the schemes, but they still it when it fits them.
    Last edited by Bosco; 05-16-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

--Vince Lombardi

17. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    At times. They've moved away from it some with Dungy leaving and Coyer being given more control over the schemes, but they still it when it fits them.
    Coyer....he was not given a fair shake here. We made a huge mistake when we let him go.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information