Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has the balance shifted?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Has the balance shifted?

Has the balance shifted?

By MissouriBronc

Has the balance of the league shifted again?

When the Broncos won the Super Bowl for the first time on January 25, 1998, it was significant for more than one reason. It marked John Elway’s accession to the greatest quarterback of all-time, and, maybe more importantly to the future of the league, it ended a 13 year run for the NFC. That started way back in 1985 with the 49ers beating the Dolphins. Ironically, it was Dan Marino’s only appearance in a Super Bowl.

Likewise, the Giants stunning upset of the undefeated Patriots ended a period of time where the AFC won eight of 10 Super Bowls, with the Rams and Bucs being the only two teams to win the Super Bowl from the NFC in a 12-year period.

Historically, there have been several shifts in power between the conferences. One occurred in 1998, during that Super Bowl, and another may have happened last year.

What are the similarities between last year’s Super Bowl, and the Broncos win? Both were underdogs that were given little chance, if any at all, by the media, and by fans of other teams. Both teams were lead by a good pass rush, and a great running game. (However…as a side note, no one is anointing Eli Manning as the next great quarterback, but he was brilliant in the playoffs)

So could this be another shift in power between the two leagues?

Absolutely.

Let’s take a look at the AFC, and the teams expected to be at the top – the teams that make this conference so “dominant.”

New England Patriots – Tom Brady is hurt, and they are being led by a quarterback who hasn’t STARTED a game since high school. Not to mention that their offensive line and defense are aging, and their running game is deteriorating.

Indianapolis Colts – Peyton Manning appears to be hurt, and they barely squeaked one out against a Minnesota team that couldn’t even get it in the endzone. Defense has always been a question in Indianapolis, and the answer has always been the high octane offense. Manning isn’t old by any standard, but he is starting in his 11th season.

Jacksonville Jaguars – A perennial dark horse, yet they sit at 0-2, and haven’t played well at all. Is it possible that Fred Taylor, the lack of talent at wide receiver and the utter obsession over big players has finally caught up with the Jaguars?

Pittsburgh Steelers – Maybe the only argument for AFC dominance still left. Roethlisberger is the real deal, and continues to be. Willie Parker is a good running back, and Mendenhall lies in waiting. Meanwhile Santonio Holmes is up and coming and Hines Ward continues to produce.

San Diego Chargers – 0-2 again. LaDainian is hurt, Rivers is still whining and still is trying to throw with that noodle, and Michael Turner is running over people in the NFC.

Denver Broncos – The Broncos have a great offense – maybe the best in the league, and certainly the best in the first two weeks – but the defense is questionable.

Buffalo Bills – Are we seriously putting our faith in the AFC over the Bills, who aren’t even sure where they will host home games in the next few years?

Meanwhile, the NFC continues to build. Green Bay looks like it could be a contender in the next five years, the NFC East is the best division in football with two teams that look better than the defending champs, and Seattle is a contender out west. Don’t forget about Drew Brees, the most under-rated quarterback in the league, and the Saints in the South.

Its hard to say if there’s been a complete shift in the dominance of the NFL, but judging off the first two weeks of play, and the Super Bowl back in February, control of league dominance may have just shifted back to the NFC.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 12 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Good article, well written

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Not quite yet, but in another year or so look for Denver to regain their dominance of the AFC West. Excellent article MB.

MB,

I think NFC East is the tougher division in NFL right now. That makes me back to 20 years ago, when NFC East teams had terrific D and a great ball control.

I think Peyton will rebound. He was hurt and lacks ryhtm.
    Broncos look like Colts : great O, questionable D indeed.

AFC is opened this year for sure. We have a chance to have another exciting superbowl !!!

Very good article. Thanks.

Froggy's back !

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfan View Post
    MB,

I think NFC East is the tougher division in NFL right now. That makes me back to 20 years ago, when NFC East teams had terrific D and a great ball control.

I think Peyton will rebound. He was hurt and lacks ryhtm.
    Broncos look like Colts : great O, questionable D indeed.

AFC is opened this year for sure. We have a chance to have another exciting superbowl !!!

Very good article. Thanks.

This comment is probably not going to be real popular, but I see the Broncos as the Bengals of about two or three years ago (on the field, not off of it), now the Broncos have to turn the corner that the Bengals couldn't turn. And they have to build their defense, to where they then become the next Colts, a great offense, decent defense, and then a Super Bowl contender.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Great article, MB but I don't know that I agree Seattle is a contender. They look terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Great article, MB but I don't know that I agree Seattle is a contender. They look terrible.
    Agreed, Seattle is an average football team at best.

11. The Following User High Fived Flatinum For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Flatinum View Post
    Agreed, Seattle is an average football team at best.
    MB thinks Seattle is a good team? what an idiot

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    MB thinks Seattle is a good team? what an idiot
    Has he actually watched them play this year? If he has there's no way he can possibly think they're a good team. They lost at home to the Niners, who spotted them 14 pts.

15. The Following User High Fived Flatinum For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek "aaarrruuuuuu" Wolfe

Not sure how good Pitt is gonna be in the long run, as Big Ben is playing with a sprained shoulder.....they say it COULD get worse....not will, but could....

PEACE!!!
    SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO

^Thanks MasterShake^

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I did watch Seattle on my second television on Sunday...and yes, they had a bad week. But when Engram and Branch come back, they will easily walk away with that division. And you get into the playoffs with an experienced quarterback, anything can happen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I did watch Seattle on my second television on Sunday...and yes, they had a bad week. But when Engram and Branch come back, they will easily walk away with that division. And you get into the playoffs with an experienced quarterback, anything can happen.
    Did you happen to catch the Seattle/Buffalo game in week one? Both lines played absolutely atrociously. They would have a lot of work to actually go anywhere except division title (and only that because their division is so incredibly weak).

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

19. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Did you happen to catch the Seattle/Buffalo game in week one? Both lines played absolutely atrociously. They would have a lot of work to actually go anywhere except division title (and only that because their division is so incredibly weak).
    Mo?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    Mo?
    Sorry...sticking to what I think...I still think Seattle, come playoff time can be right there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Sorry...sticking to what I think...I still think Seattle, come playoff time can be right there.
    Agreed to disagree.

— Marilyn Monroe

23. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information