Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shanny shocks his players with the call.

After we got that call on the fumble...I thought...why not? I mean we just lost the game and a miracle gave us new life...why not go for it. But, it sounds like they new they were going to go for two...long before Cutler fumbled that ball. BMarsh said that Coach/Cutler made the decision before they started that final drive. Pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by jrelway View Post

"On the last play, it was clearly a fumble," Turner said. "This is a high-level performance game, and it is not acceptable to have a game decided on that play ... it was just disappointing to have that kind of performance spoiled by that call."

What an idiot. That wasn't the last play moron. If it were the last play, you'd have reason to whine. You had 3 more tries to stop what was coming, you didn't. You lost.

FFS, I'm tired of hearing it already. You make your own destiny SD, stop the TD or stop the 2 pter and you win. It's not that hard to understand.

Any Broncos fan who says they aren't proud of this win is nuts. Our boys went out there and scored 39 pts on a team we couldn't score 7 on in 2 games last year. This game was NEVER given to us. Try telling that to the boys on offense. I'm sure they'd have something to say about it.

3. The Following 9 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think Shanny was trying to make a point with the call. We had seen so many close losses at the end of games we should have won (like come from behind losses to the Colts in previous years). It seems in the past three years our defense has ceased to exist at the end of games. He made the call with regard to how unreliable the defense has been and also to give Cutler and the offense a chance to show that they can execute when it's for all the marbles. As risky as it is, the fact that the D is unreliable gives it more thoughtfulness, and it also gives the team a chance to instill the proper winning mentality. The reward from the call, if they convert, was too great to ignore. Shanny said it was a 'gut', but I think it came from too many crushing come-from-behind losses in recent history.

Talk about a confidence boost for the offense. I'll bet those guys (the offense) feel like they are unbeatable. What a great feeling to give a team--the concept that you can always win it with #6 pulling the trigger. You could only have the team believing that deep down with something like this. And the message to the D: you're not there yet, so pick it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    What an idiot. That wasn't the last play moron. If it were the last play, you'd have reason to whine. You had 3 more tries to stop what was coming, you didn't. You lost.

FFS, I'm tired of hearing it already. You make your own destiny SD, stop the TD or stop the 2 pter and you win. It's not that hard to understand.

Any Broncos fan who says they aren't proud of this win is nuts. Our boys went out there and scored 39 pts on a team we couldn't score 7 on in 2 games last year. This game was NEVER given to us. Try telling that to the boys on offense. I'm sure they'd have something to say about it.

We got a lucky break, kind of like some "tuck Rule" that happened a few years ago. A win is a win is a win and I will take it.

I just hope our leaky defense gets fixed or we will still struggle to win 10 games and this team is capable of a great year if our defense can just be mediorce even.
    Last edited by Medford Bronco; 09-15-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I think Shanny was trying to make a point with the call. We had seen so many close losses at the end of games we should have won (like come from behind losses to the Colts in previous years). It seems in the past three years our defense has ceased to exist at the end of games. He made the call with regard to how unreliable the defense has been and also to give Cutler and the offense a chance to show that they can execute when it's for all the marbles. As risky as it is, the fact that the D is unreliable gives it more thoughtfulness, and it also gives the team a chance to instill the proper winning mentality. The reward from the call, if they convert, was too great to ignore. Shanny said it was a 'gut', but I think it came from too many crushing come-from-behind losses in recent history.

Talk about a confidence boost for the offense. I'll bet those guys (the offense) feel like they are unbeatable. What a great feeling to give a team--the concept that you can always win it with #6 pulling the trigger. You could only have the team believing that deep down with something like this. And the message to the D: you're not there yet, so pick it up!
    It also came from losing the toss too many times that led to ot losses in recenty memory. Gutsy and great call Shanny

8. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post

Great post GEM - I am really getting tired of hearing nothing but comments on the blown call - Yes, it was a BAD call; HOWEVER, to hear most talk, you would think the BAD call also included the ref giving the Broncos a TD, and giving the Broncos the 2 point conversion. Neither the TD or the 2 point conversion was AUTOMATIC - the Broncos had to execute on BOTH plays - AND SAN DIEGO'S DEFENSE HAD THE CHANCE TO STOP EITHER PLAY - AND DID NOT

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

I honestly think that blown calls in sports is actually a good thing, on RARE occasions though. Here's why. Take this game for example, as Denver Native (Carol) mentioned, even after the blown call by the ref, the Chargers had TWO chances to stop the Broncos in the end zone. They did allow the touchdown for 6 points. They had another chance to still win the game by stopping a two point conversion, but failed to do so. To blame the loss on one blown call is dumb, because the 4th quarter is not the only chance to win the game. It's a game of FOUR quarters. Where were the Chargers in the 1st and 2nd quarter?

Anyway, in my eyes, blown calls truly show how good teams really are. A true good team would be able to just keep playing regardless of blown calls, injuries, i.e. And a good coach would at least acknowledge the fallacies of his team and admitting that he still had two chances to stop Denver, regardless of the bad calls made by refs.

This happens in basketball too. Being a Sacramento Kings fan in Los Angeles, all I hear about is bad officiating against Kobe and the Lakers. If they were really a good team, they would just keep playing and not whine and b*tch about a missed foul call throughout the whole game.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ikillz0mbies View Post
    I honestly think that blown calls in sports is actually a good thing, on RARE occasions though. Here's why. Take this game for example, as Denver Native (Carol) mentioned, even after the blown call by the ref, the Chargers had TWO chances to stop the Broncos in the end zone. They did allow the touchdown for 6 points. They had another chance to still win the game by stopping a two point conversion, but failed to do so. To blame the loss on one blown call is dumb, because the 4th quarter is not the only chance to win the game. It's a game of FOUR quarters. Where were the Chargers in the 1st and 2nd quarter?

Anyway, in my eyes, blown calls truly show how good teams really are. A true good team would be able to just keep playing regardless of blown calls, injuries, i.e. And a good coach would at least acknowledge the fallacies of his team and admitting that he still had two chances to stop Denver, regardless of the bad calls made by refs.

This happens in basketball too. Being a Sacramento Kings fan in Los Angeles, all I hear about is bad officiating against Kobe and the Lakers. If they were really a good team, they would just keep playing and not whine and b*tch about a missed foul call throughout the whole game.

Adversity makes you stronger, unless you're the Chargers. Then it just turns on the whine.

14. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Case in point - Week one Damon Huard hits a crossing pattern against blown coverage to get the Chiefs to the Patriots 5 yard line, in a position to pull off a shocking upset. 1st and goal, and enough time to use the whole playbook. The Pats are a good team, and the Chiefs are not, so four plays later they are still at the 5 - game over.

This game Jay Cutler makes terrible plays in each of the Broncos final two drives - but doesn't let it get in his head. He then redeems himself completely. As for the Chargers? Jake Delhomme and Jay Cutler say their pass defense isn't very good, especially when the chips are down.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

I was all for the 2 point call. We hadn't been able to stop them all day. |If they win the toss they were gonna score. Everyone was tired ... and ... they hadn't been able to stop us either. I thought it was a gutsy call and it worked!

18. The Following User High Fived deacon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

HAHA I LOVE IT!

BRONCOS @ FALCONS
    NOVEMBER 16, 2008

Great call. Great execution. Lets not forget young Bates - Shanahan's right hand man. These play calls are like none other. Awesome. Cross your fingers folks this could be an exciting team to watch the next couple months!

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived JONtheBRONCO For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

2 for 2 for 2.

2 passess, 2 rececptions for 2 points for 2-0. 2 plays called in our favor in 2 different quarters.

Coincidence? You decide.

I liked the call.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

The call to go for two sends a great message to the offense by Shanahan that he has 100% confidence in them to get the job done. Now for the Defense, thats another story. No confidence to stop SD with 24 seconds left, or if we didn't get the coin toss in OT.

24. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

If me and a few others thought it was a good idea, I don't think we should refer to Shanny as the "Mastermind" again just yet. My theory for doing it was simple and may very well have been the hidden reason why Shanny did it.

Why tie the game and hope to win the toss. If SD had won the toss, odds are they'd have come up with some big 60+yard play like they did all day long and fot the field goal quick. The 2 point decision seems like it was based more on his lack of faith in the ST and defense than on his faith in the offense.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information