Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gregg Williams withdraws name from Broncos job

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Honestly, I think the charm and appeal of the Broncos HC job is a little tarnished as of late and is probably just not very appealing. The Elway, Ellis, Xanders triumvirate may also be giving some of the bigger named, more experienced candidates pause.

Some of the re-tread types like Williams and Mularkey may actually want full control the second time around and so they may be avoiding interviewing because they really just don't want the job. If I was a highly paid and respected coordinator, especially if I was a previous HC, I'm not sure that I'd want to be held repsonsible by and potentially handicapped (personnel wise) by a brain trust consisting of a GM who has never really been a GM (Xanders), an ex-player who has never been a VP (Elway), and a suit who is the voicebox for a potentially infirm owner (Ellis).

Combine that with a team that really doesn't have a lot of talent, player wise, including some big pieces to replace (potentially Champ and Harris leaving) and you've got a situation that looks like it's almost more trouble than it's worth. McDaniels has screwed this team up so badly, I strongly doubt many guys with a lot of HC experience really want to go through potentially having to right the ship.

I'd really love to see us bring in an experienced guy like John Fox, but I think we're going to end up with a first time guy like a Dennison or a Fewell. I just don't know if a 1st time guy has what it takes to get this team turned around.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Honestly, I think the charm and appeal of the Broncos HC job is a little tarnished as of late and is probably just not very appealing. The Elway, Ellis, Xanders triumvirate may also be giving some of the bigger named, more experienced candidates pause.

Some of the re-tread types like Williams and Mularkey may actually want full control the second time around and so they may be avoiding interviewing because they really just don't want the job. If I was a highly paid and respected coordinator, especially if I was a previous HC, I'm not sure that I'd want to be held repsonsible by and potentially handicapped (personnel wise) by a brain trust consisting of a GM who has never really been a GM (Xanders), an ex-player who has never been a VP (Elway), and a suit who is the voicebox for a potentially infirm owner (Ellis).

Combine that with a team that really doesn't have a lot of talent, player wise, including some big pieces to replace (potentially Champ and Harris leaving) and you've got a situation that looks like it's almost more trouble than it's worth. McDaniels has screwed this team up so badly, I strongly doubt many guys with a lot of HC experience really want to go through potentially having to right the ship.

I'd really love to see us bring in an experienced guy like John Fox, but I think we're going to end up with a first time guy like a Dennison or a Fewell. I just don't know if a 1st time guy has what it takes to get this team turned around.
    And we could hire John Fox and he could have a stint comparable to Mangini's in Cleveland. There are no guarantees and sadly that's what a majority of us would like to have.
    - Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Let's not put the cart before the horse.

I bet Fox is the guy they really want.
    john clayton is reporting that we're "seriously" considering fox because we prefer someone with previous head coaching ability, but i'm not gonna hold my breath. . .

we'll see. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    john clayton is reporting that we're "seriously" considering fox because we prefer someone with previous head coaching ability, but i'm not gonna hold my breath. . .

we'll see. . .
    I would prefer Dennison, re-tread head coaches fail as often as they succeed.

Dog will just have to be on suicide watch for a little longer!
    - Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

6. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

we'll see. . .
    That is what John said at his initial presser (and why I think Fox is the front runner). He said the next coach will be someone with experience...so based on the people they are interviewing that leaves Fox, Fewell (interim), Studes (interim) and Koetter (if you count college HC experience, which I hope they don't).

I would be surprised if they don't hire Fox (assuming Fox wants the job).
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

or maybe he did not want to have to deal with the mess that the denver broncos are in, kind of a lose lose situation...

I'm starting to lean towards Dennison. I was impressed that when asked about how he would convince ownership that he could restore the defense he said that would be dependant on bringing in a great coordinator. Paraphrasing, of course, but I thought it was excellent that he recognized that. Hopefully if he gets the job, we will find an outstanding d coord and let him run the defense without stepping on his d#$& all the time.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigSarge87 For This Post:

I think its Dennison. I'm more in favor of getting a guy with his experience, but not had the failure of being an HC before. Look at the Playoff coaches of today. 2 of 12 are the re-tread HCs.

Dennison has experience, he's Denver through n through.. and understands the rivalry of the AFC West. He knows the city, the people, he owner, the GM, and the expectations.

I wasn't on board with him initially, but now I am. I would prefer him over Fox.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think its Dennison. I'm more in favor of getting a guy with his experience, but not had the failure of being an HC before. Look at the Playoff coaches of today. 2 of 12 are the re-tread HCs.

Dennison has experience, he's Denver through n through.. and understands the rivalry of the AFC West. He knows the city, the people, he owner, the GM, and the expectations.

I wasn't on board with him initially, but now I am. I would prefer him over Fox.
    With Dennison the Broncos get a team player...
    a guy they know really well.

Fox... he may have too big of an ego for the setup they are going with.
    Some local talk show host today described Fox as a "diva".
    If he comes across as arrogant at all in the interview.. I doubt they hire Fox.
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

14. The Following User High Fived PAINTERDAVE For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
    With Dennison the Broncos get a team player...
    a guy they know really well.

Fox... he may have too big of an ego for the setup they are going with.
    Some local talk show host today described Fox as a "diva". If he comes across as arrogant at all in the interview.. I doubt they hire Fox.
    John or Samantha?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Agent of Orange For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

I think Fox is pissed off and cant wait to redeem himself. I would be happy with him or dennison.

Id prefer Dennison over most I guess. I know him and Elway love the Broncos as much as I do. Maybe Elway, Dennison, and Tebow can create something special.

We lost that twinkle somewhere. I think its in Buff's shoes. Old twinkle shoes.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I think Fox is pissed off and cant wait to redeem himself. I would be happy with him or dennison.

Id prefer Dennison over most I guess. I know him and Elway love the Broncos as much as I do. Maybe Elway, Dennison, and Tebow can create something special.

We lost that twinkle somewhere. I think its in Buff's shoes. Old twinkle shoes.
    So, that's why they call him "Twink".
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information