Thread: Shanahan knew Kubiak was destined for success

Default Shanahan knew Kubiak was destined for success

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5153115.html

Sept. 21, 2007, 12:48AM

Shanahan knew Kubiak was destined for success
    Texans reaping reward for getting right coach for job

By JOHN McCLAIN

In 2000 and 2005, I sat in Denver coach Mike Shanahan's office at the team's practice facility and the subject of conversation was the same each time.

I asked Shanahan what he thought about his offensive coordinator as a head coaching candidate. On both occasions, Shanahan responded like a Washington power broker pushing a candidate for national office.

"I'm telling you, Gary's going to make a great head coach, and teams that pass him up are going to regret it," Shanahan said of Gary Kubiak. "I know what I'm talking about. I've watched him at every level. I've been around him since 1984."

That was Shanahan's first season as a Broncos assistant under Dan Reeves. It was Kubiak's second season as the backup quarterback to John Elway. Shanahan coached receivers that season and moved to offensive coordinator the next year.

"Gary has everything you want in a head coach," Shanahan said. "He understands the game. He knows how to conduct practice. He knows how to devise game plans. He knows how to make adjustments. He works his tail off. He's organized. And he's smart.

"Gary communicates well with his players and coaches. He knows how to get a point across. He's demanding. He's tough when he needs to be. Players want to play for him because they respect him. If a team has an opening, and they don't go after Gary, they're making a big mistake."

Shanahan was right.

Texans owner Bob McNair passed up Kubiak as the franchise's first coach. He didn't want to make that mistake again.

McNair hired Kubiak for Sundays like this one. And Kubiak came back home for weekends like this.

The day before the unbeaten Texans host the unbeaten Colts in the most important game in the franchise's six seasons, Kubiak will be with his wife, Rhonda, and youngest son Klein at the Colorado State-University of Houston game.

Kubiak's oldest son Klint is the starting free safety for Colorado State. Middle son Klay is a redshirt freshman for the Rams.

The day after the Rams-Cougars game, of course, there will be a playoff-type atmosphere at Reliant Stadium. Indianapolis is the defending Super Bowl champion and an AFC South rival that owns a 9-1 record against the Texans.

The Colts have a six-game winning streak, and the Texans have won four in a row. If Indianapolis wins, it's no big deal. The Colts are supposed to win. But if the Texans win, it will send shock waves reverberating around the NFL. The Texans will be 3-0 and on top of the division by themselves.

"A game like this means a lot because of how I feel about our players," Kubiak said after practice this week. "We've brought in a lot of new guys since we came here, and we've tried to get them to commit to the program — to get them believing in what we're
    doing.

"It's very rewarding for me to see them play a game like this. They've busted their butts to get to this point. I'm excited for them."

And Kubiak's family and friends, who had to cheer for him from afar during his 20 years in Denver as a player and coach, can cheer for him in person.

"For me personally, this is even more special because it's in Houston, my hometown," Kubiak said. "This city and the people here mean so much to me. It means a lot to me to see everybody so excited."

There's no pressure on the Texans. They're supposed to lose. Their quarterback has started only four games in four seasons. Their four wide receivers Sunday have combined for four catches this season.

The pressure's on the Colts. Their quarterback has a Super Bowl ring and wants to pick up a few more on his way to Canton, Ohio. Their two best receivers have twice as many Pro Bowls (eight) as the Texans' wide receivers have
    catches.

"I've been getting more calls this week than I've gotten before any game in my playing and coaching career," Kubiak said. "And I've been involved in a lot of big games."

Yes, but the Texans haven't been. Now they are. Sunday can't come soon enough.

John McClain covers the Texans and the NFL for the Chronicle. He can be heard on 610 AM Monday at 7:30 a.m., Tuesday at 10 a.m. and Friday at 4:30 p.m. john.mcclain@chron.com.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

There was a reason he was out O-Cord for so many seasons.
    The bronco chemist.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Thanks, Omac.

There's only one thing I don't like about Kubiak . . .

He's not here anymore.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSoldier View Post
    There was a reason he was out O-Cord for so many seasons.
    It's ironic, because when he was here, a great many posters for years said he had no impact on the offense, it was all Shanny.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Thanks, Omac.

There's only one thing I don't like about Kubiak . . .

He's not here anymore.

-----
    Yeah, we lost a good coach, but good for him. He desserves to be a head coach, and Houston is much improved because of him. Hopefully, his name will be as revered in the Texans organization as Shanny's is with the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    It's ironic, because when he was here, a great many posters for years said he had no impact on the offense, it was all Shanny.
    It makes me think, which critical offensive designs were Shanny's and which were Kube's?

No matter, that Texans team is looking a whole lot like the Broncos, except they have an even better front-line defense.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information