Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Should The Broncos Re-Sign Champ Bailey And Move Him To Safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Too soon to tell, but he's progressing nicely, and the similarities are marked.
    Actually, the similarities aren't marked at all. Champ was the 7th pick of the draft. He was considered an elite CB from day 1. Chris Harris was 10th on the depth chart at the start of last season. He's made lots of progress and is now solidified as the #2 CB which is nice.

But, he's no Champ Bailey and never will be.

He's very good in coverage, has good instincts/anticipation and is a great wrap up tackler who never misses, sometimes even coming up to make plays against the run. All classic Champ Bailey habits, and he's in, what, his second year? Everyone keeps talking about how "improved" Rahim Moore is in his second year (though not so much after last week,) but if he'd improved half as much as Harris we'd be suiting up to host the AFCCG tomorrow.
    Well, Harris is certainly a better player now than Rahim Moore. That's rather a straw man. But, is he really a #1 CB in this league? Probably not. At least not yet.

If he keeps improving then fine. But, Champ Bailey is a first ballot consensus Hall of Famer. If you think Chris Harris is anything like that you have drunk WAY too much cool-aid.

My earlier post stands.

IF the Broncos moved Bailey to S (they won't) it would create a log-jam with all the safeties (Quinton Carter, Rahim Moore, Mike Adams and Champ, not to mention Jim Leonhard who will make the team because of Special Teams).

It don't add up!

Then they would be terribly short on CBs with only Harris and Tony Carter being any good. IF Bolden develops tremendously in this off-season they would have a nickel back, but that is not a lot of depth.

And Bolden has not impressed anybody yet.

This whole discussion is pointless because the Broncos have ZERO intention of moving Bailey to safety this year. And they would need to get at least TWO CBs via FA to do it. (They also have to replace Tracy Porter).

Frankly, I predict that the Broncos will NOT sign a FA CB this off season. They might draft one, but I wouldn't expect much change at all in the secondary.

They have much bigger issues up front.

Ty Warren is going to have to retire. They're getting back starting LDE Jason Hunter and Jeremy Beal, but are those two good enough? Can Derek Wolfe bulk up enough to become a starting DT or do they need to find one in FA? Will they take another DT in the draft?

D. J. Williams is due $6 million next year and Wesley Woodyard has taken his spot. He's gone.

Keith Brooking may retire, and even if not, he's old enough to remember men's platform shoes and bell bottom pants.

Joe Mays signed a $4.5 million contract just this off-season, but the thought of him covering Rob Gronkowski over the middle does not inspire confidence. They need an upgrade at MLB.

There's even bigger problems strengthening the OL where Chris Kuper has been seriously slowed by injury and Manny Ramirez is less than stellar. They need an elite G in the worst way.

And of course, a big bruising RB who can move the pile wouldn't hurt.

All in all, there are lots of things to worry about more than CB.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

I have always felt that champ could make a greater impact at safety.
    Not to discredit his one on one play, quite the contrary.
    he has been so good for so long, opposing QBs have sought success elsewhere.
    CUGEL, points out the greater needs of the team at this time and the current mix of CBs and S does noit favor a move at this time.
    I can appreciate that, he makes a valid arguement.
    he does not pretend that champ is ill suited for the role.
    he does not feel compelled to call other posters moron or idiot or lunatic.
    he just makes a convincing arguement as to why moving champ at this time is not in the best interest of the team.
    and that has ALWAYS been my focus, what is in the best interest of the team.
    thanks for your perspective, cugel.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

4. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The only game he "lost a step" in was the Baltimore game. Maybe you could say that against A.J. Green. Maybe.
    So Champ is the same athlete at 35 as he was at 25. Ya, that's rational. If you haven't seen he's had more balls caught on him over the past couple years than he used to (non-elite #1s never used to get a sniff, now they'll convert a key 3rd down here and there) you're either not paying attention or not wanting to see it.

He's still a Top 5, All Pro corner, and it's not because the other players aren't good enough to be top 5 (nice little pot shot at Bailey though). It's because he's a top 5 corner. So instead of gambling on moving him, find a safety. Thankfully, I don't think Del Rio is an idiot. A little lazy maybe, but not stupid.
    Pot shot? You're such a drama queen. Champ's still playing at a high level and deserves his All-Pro nod. My point is that they guy is 34 and there's not really many elite man-cover guys nipping at his heals to be the best in the game. Guys that were supposed to be those guys--Revis, Asomugha--have lost their luster a bit. Look at the other 3 All-Pro corners: Sherman of the Seahawks, and Tillman/Jennings from the Bears, are big, physical Cover 2 type guys.

The question at hand though isn't whether Champ was a top CB in 2012--he was. It's whether he will be in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

My earlier post stands.

IF the Broncos moved Bailey to S (they won't) it would create a log-jam with all the safeties (Quinton Carter, Rahim Moore, Mike Adams and Champ, not to mention Jim Leonhard who will make the team because of Special Teams).

It don't add up!

Then they would be terribly short on CBs with only Harris and Tony Carter being any good. IF Bolden develops tremendously in this off-season they would have a nickel back, but that is not a lot of depth.

And Bolden has not impressed anybody yet.

This whole discussion is pointless because the Broncos have ZERO intention of moving Bailey to safety this year. And they would need to get at least TWO CBs via FA to do it. (They also have to replace Tracy Porter).

Frankly, I predict that the Broncos will NOT sign a FA CB this off season. They might draft one, but I wouldn't expect much change at all in the secondary.

They have much bigger issues up front.
    That's a fair point, Cug, to a degree. But running with 4 safeties is pretty normal so that wouldn't really be that much of a log jam. The four would be used situationally.

The shortage of CBs is off-set some by Champ being the 'nickle back'. Against 3 wide sets, Rahim would replace the LB instead of a CB. I think we'd have to add a vet CB through FA--a Mike Adams equivalent--and then let the vet/Carter/Boldin compete for the #2 spot in base. I'd also add one early in the draft.

It would be a downgrade on our CBs in relation to THIS season, but the theory is that the stronger safety play would lead to net gains in performance. We wouldn't ask any of our corners to be isolated 1on1 with a top WR, so it wouldn't matter that we don't have a top 5 CB.

Look at this year's Superbowl...how many top 5 CBs? Now name 4 better safeties than the 4 playing in NO. Can't help but notice the team with TWO All-Pro CBs...didn't make the playoffs.
    If not me, who?

6. The Following User High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

1 on 1 corners are easy reads for a QB.
    a versatile, talented safety helps a defense disguise its cover scheme.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    1 on 1 corners are easy reads for a QB.
    a versatile, talented safety helps a defense disguise its cover scheme.
    That's false. It has nothing to do with what position the player plays, but how the coach sets up the coverage. And quarterbacks nowadays (or the smartest ones, like Manning, Brady, Rogers, Brees, etc.) know where the safety is going too.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

I think they should move Champ Bailey to free safety and give him an opportunity to play on offense. He could play wide receiver for part time. Just like Deion Sanders with the 49ers and Devin Hester with the Bears. It would be interesting to see Champ Bailey plays on offense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

sorry guys, i hate random bumps as much as anyone, but i can't help myself after this beauty popped up. . .

mods, please transfer this piece of shit to the lounge/black hole at your discretion. . .

Did he ever turn into a great safety?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    sorry guys, i hate random bumps as much as anyone, but i can't help myself after this beauty popped up. . .

mods, please transfer this piece of shit to the lounge/black hole at your discretion. . .
    What are you talking about? This should go into the thread hall of fame! This thread sparked a legendary meme.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I believe the answer is yes.

14. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Why would you want to create work for the mods? I thought we were friends.

Ain't nobody watch nothing dogfish do. You got served. You sorry.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Why would you want to create work for the mods? I thought we were friends.

Ain't nobody watch nothing dogfish do. You got served. You sorry.

damn, babycakes, just bring the hammer down why don'tcha?

18. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

damn, babycakes, just bring the hammer down why don'tcha?
    I had to use my Talib lingo one more time before that monster Elway sends my mainest man packing.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I had to use my Talib lingo one more time before that monster Elway sends my mainest man packing.
    Talib's legacy will live forever in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Talib's legacy will live forever in our hearts.
    I will miss Talib 100x more than Champ Bailey.

23. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information