Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Should The Broncos Re-Sign Champ Bailey And Move Him To Safety?

The thing that impressed me most with Champ this year was his rematch against Bowe.

Even though Denver did lose that game Champ made it certain that Bowe wasnt gonna have a good day vs him again..

A true professional who I hope retires a Bronco.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived EMB6903 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well, its not a reasonable question.

1) Champ will have to agree to the contract offered if he thinks its fair or not.

2) He will have to WANT to move to safety.
    Um, we're talking about CHAMP BAILEY not Albert Haynesworth. Champ will play whatever the hell the coaches tell him to play once he's under contract.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'm cool w drafting Peterson. Champ still needs to stay at CB. He's still a top notch CB. No reason to move him to safety

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Um, we're talking about CHAMP BAILEY not Albert Haynesworth. Champ will play whatever the hell the coaches tell him to play once he's under contract.

Dont be so sure. Do i think he would make as much a ruckus as Fat Albert? No.

But, if Shaw was right about the contract having the wording of Champ playing safety and then it got pulled then maybe thats something Champ has changed his mind on. Even the best and nicest players in the league sometimes dont want to do something.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Dont be so sure. Do i think he would make as much a ruckus as Fat Albert? No.

But, if Shaw was right about the contract having the wording of Champ playing safety and then it got pulled then maybe thats something Champ has changed his mind on. Even the best and nicest players in the league sometimes dont want to do something.
    Champ did indicate he is open to moving to safety, but he added that he
    didn't think he was yet ready for that . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    didn't think he was yet ready for that . . .

-----
    I realize this but thats why i say he may have actually changed his mind depending on how the contract was spelled out. Maybe it was just a money issue i dont know. But i wont assume he will move to safety as players change their minds all the time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I realize this but thats why i say he may have actually changed his mind depending on how the contract was spelled out. Maybe it was just a money issue i dont know. But i wont assume he will move to safety as players change their minds all the time.
    Well, only Champ really knows whether he can keep up with the receivers.
    But if we are worried about his speed, Champ really impressed me on one play
    against the Chiefs where Charles broke one (of his several ). Champ was
    too far away to run Charles down, but he ended up right behind him, and
    Charles could not create any space from Champ. So, if Champ has lost a half-
    step from his original 4.19, he probably can manage only a 4.35 or 4.42
    now. Horrors!

-----

10. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    didn't think he was yet ready for that . . . .-----
    My point was that he would stay at CB for next season, and then move over to S in 2012 when he would be 34.

My point is that Denver has NEVER had a great cover safety since Steve Awater -- they've had John Lynch and Brian Dawkins -- prototypical STRONG safeties who are not particularly FAST and not great cover guys, but who were excellent in run support and hammered WRs coming over the middle.

Champ would be that Ed Reed type FS who has excellent cover skills. You wouldn't have to worry about him in any coverage situation, and if he weren't the #1 CB we'd need a new one -- hence Patrick Peterson.

As for fixing the DL first, that does NOT mean taking just ANYBODY at #2 if they're not WORTH that pick!

What if, now that Luck is staying in school (the moron!) the Panthers take DE Bowers? Now the Broncos are on the clock.

How do they rate Nick Fairley? He's had ONE great season, but before that he wasn't all that much. Is he really worth that #2 pick? What about his off-field issues? Who else is really worth that pick? They don't need a QB or OT.

For anybody who thinks the Broncos can't "afford" to take the best player available" -- who the hell are you kidding?

They have nothing BUT needs and you don't draft by the BIGGEST NEED, but you evaluate who is the BEST PLAYER at a position of need available!

Well the ENTIRE DEFENSE is ALL "positions of need!" There are no "not a position of need."

The Broncos could seriously draft:

NT
    DT
    DE
    OLB
    ILB
    S
    CB

as long as the player was worth the pick, and slot the guy right into the defense. Outside Champ Bailey and Dumervil there is NOT ONE PLAYER who can't be replaced with a better one! So, go right ahead and draft whoever is the best player -- secure in the knowledge that they have MORE NEEDS than they can fill at this point.

They can always draft a 3-4 DE in the 2nd or later rounds you know. They mostly are designed to soak up blockers. The Steelers got their DE Brett Keisel in the 7th round, and his backup Nick Eason was drafted by the Broncos in the 4th round. Their highest drafted DE was Ziggy Hood, taken 32nd in 2009.

And the Steelers' 3-4 has been among the top of the NFL for years. So, don't pretend we desperately need to use the #2 pick of the entire draft on a 3-4 DE!

As for a NT there's not ONE in the entire draft worthy of the #2 pick. Taking one there would be a HUGE REACH -- the one thing we CANNOT afford.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

resign champ and play him were he is best fit, if that at corner fine if free safety great, dont matter guy is still good enough for cb,
    kyle "the fainting goat" orton!
    Josh McDinkieDoink McDaniels
    Greatest HC QB Duo, starring in "MY OFFENSE IS OFFENSIVE"

I would have a semi for a week if this happened.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet but everyone already knows is that he's one of the best open field tacklers EVER. Dude rarely misses a tackle. He would provide unbelievable run support right off the bat. Also, depending on the defensive philosophy, I would imagine he'll get many more opportunities to blitz.

I just got chills.

EDIT: I guess he would more likely be playing FS, but I don't know why he wouldn't be a stud at either position, unless he just didn't want to take the hits a SS takes.
    Last edited by BigSarge87; 01-06-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Champ Bailey has already openly stated that he wants to switch to the safety position to prolong his career. I don’t see him having a problem switching to safety as soon as next season and he’s not some bitchy-whinny player to make a fuss. I think he wants to return, I really do, but now it’s up to the front office to get back to the table or not.
    - Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

16. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by BigSarge87 View Post
    I would have a semi for a week if this happened.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet but everyone already knows is that he's one of the best open field tacklers EVER. Dude rarely misses a tackle. He would provide unbelievable run support right off the bat. Also, depending on the defensive philosophy, I would imagine he'll get many more opportunities to blitz.

I just got chills.

EDIT: I guess he would more likely be playing FS, but I don't know why he wouldn't be a stud at either position, unless he just didn't want to take the hits a SS takes.
    You would seem to have a point there. It seems that so many are pointing
    to declining athletic abilities that would force a CB to the safety position.
    But we need to realize that safeties can be superior athletes. Look at Reed.
    Look at Polamalu (sp?). Look at Woodson.

If Champ is moved to safety, I would look at it as a dramatic upgrade to
    safety, rather than moving a player because of declining abilities . . .

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 01-06-2011 at 09:54 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Well, its not a reasonable question.

1) Champ will have to agree to the contract offered if he thinks its fair or not.

2) He will have to WANT to move to safety.
    I don't think the one more year and move to safety holds any water, but Champ's agent is on record saying that Champ would like a front end heavy, back end light contract with the thought that he would play 3-4 more years at CB and then transition to safety, where he would expect to make less money (I'm obviously paraphrasing).

Champ is clearly still playing at an elite level. There is no way to know if he will remain one of the top CBs in the league for another year, or four, but 2-4 years is a good bet.

This just makes way too much sense for everyone. I hope they can convince Champ they're going in the right direction and pay the man.

Another thin to point out is that Champ seems to really like playing on the same team as Tebow. Not that that would be a factor in him staying, but it does show you he's completely sincere about staying in Denver if the situation is right.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by BigSarge87 View Post
    This just makes way too much sense for everyone. I hope they can convince Champ they're going in the right direction and pay the man.

Another thin to point out is that Champ seems to really like playing on the same team as Tebow. Not that that would be a factor in him staying, but it does show you he's completely sincere about staying in Denver if the situation is right.
    Oh, I doubt Champ is a Tebow groupie like so many here.

A perfunctory compliment is not to be taken seriously. Champ is out for
    Champ. He wants a chance at a SB. He doesn't care if Brady Quinn is the QB.

------

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information