Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Proposed High Five System (Discussion Thread Closes on Friday 9/28)

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    To me its npot about the high fives you get but the ones you give - we have a pretty close knit group at the moment and I cant see the members we have abusing (if its even possible) this system
    Also, tned and crew arent dumb they will pick up on the tards that abuse it
    I think it's mroe keepign an eye to the future then the present. Just like the fore fathers and the constitution . Sure, now I think everyone won't abuse it, but say the baord grows and grows. There's no way for the moderators to police everyone in the use of high fives, and there is no guaruntee that new posters when influxed into the board won't change the landscape of how high fives are viewed or used.

I think by staying cautious now, and implementing the system that is limited but even handed, the results will be good. Even if it is approached again later, it can be expanded, but as far as bringing in new systems, I think baby steps are an essential part of proportioned and mindful growth.
    Temp sig till I find another one

Again, we really appreciate all the great input. Since we have another day of discussion, I have a question to pose.

I fully understand why some people have said if there is a system, that it should not have any totals (in terms of becoming a status thing like the CP on BM). However, I am struggling to understand how just showing the Hi Fives under each post could result in the same kind of problems that the bars, point totals and status/privilages that became so common on BM.

Without totals, this is really the extent of the Hi Five system:

I hope some of you that have those concerns jump in, because I don't think anyone wants to do anything detrimental for the board.

Switching to my personal view. I don't feel strongly about having a system one way or another. I know for myself, and I think several, if not all, of the other board members, what has driven us to try and come up with a system that would allow people to recognize others, but not have some of the downsides of the CP system was not so much our personal desire for the system, but quite a few requests from the very beginning to have a system.

However, since there were also people that raised concerns about a CP/Reputation system, we worked to try and come up with a system that would address what people wanted in terms of allowing you to recognize a good post without quoting it and simply saying "good post", but also had little, if any, of the negatives associated with the BM CP system and other boards reputation systems.

Whether or not it is a good solution, or is even needed, is obviously what this discussion is all about.

So, we would love to better understand the concerns about how the above (names of people who thought a particular post was worth congratulating) would create the cliques or other problems that existed with the CP system.

3. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

I guess I am still lost on why we need any kind of system at all?

Why does it really matter?

Why do we need someone to tell us good post, high five, cp...or whatever to make a quality post?

I feel we have had great discussions around here since the board has begun. People are posting without any "hidden" objectives and its been nice to read the posts.

There is no over the top flaming or praising of particular subjects, players, coaches..etc.

A system - regardless of what type it is - is going to bring all the flaming back. Maybe not at first, but trust me..it will.

This board has flourished without any kind of system for a month now. I would hate to see it stop just because of a silly system.

5. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Here's my thoughts Tned....

The reason I think listing the names under the posts of who "high-fived" you is because it is about ike and dislike. When you recieve a high five from an individual three or four different times, it makes you appreciate their posts even more. I think it's a natural human response. When you have someone who agrees with your ideas at a dinner table, or a class room, or at work, you tend to like them a little more. Compeltely normal IMO...

However when you start to like people because of thigns of this nature, you are also quicker to defend them, quicker to disagree with people who do not agree with their point of view, and hence th clique thing starts. Take P&R for example. It's a very polarized board right, due to the nature of American politics. Groups form. Republican posters naturually side with one another, and sometimes go a little over board. Same with Democratic posters. Veterans seem to have a bit of clique as well. The point being that this is a symptom that we are likely to see happen because of high fives...

Now does that mean that won't happen without high fives? no. People will always gravitate more towards people they are similar to. If I enjoy your posts, I'll likely open yours before another. Post in that thread before others, and so on and so forth. It will hapeen, but what I believe the "high five" system will do is amplify that and speed such things along. It will make it easier to not like or like someone, especially since it's viewable by all....

One thing I did like about BM's CP system is that the CP's you recieved are hidden from all but you. You knew who liked you, but didn;t throw that in the face of others. I can imagine people reading a post they don't agree with and seeing a bunch of high fives by people who give one poster a lot of high fives o na regualr basis, and saying "oh, of course they gave that person high fives, that's all they do."

As dogfish said, it wil lalos make some people feel under valued because they don't recieve enough. That is also about the human condition. So by taking the names out of the high five system I think you remove some of that. My opinion....
    Last edited by BigBroncLove; 09-27-2007 at 10:59 PM.

7. The Following User High Fived BigBroncLove For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post

Why do we need someone to tell us good post, high five, cp...or whatever to make a quality post?

I feel we have had great discussions around here since the board has begun. People are posting without any "hidden" objectives and its been nice to read the posts.

There is no over the top flaming or praising of particular subjects, players, coaches..etc.

A system - regardless of what type it is - is going to bring all the flaming back. Maybe not at first, but trust me..it will.

This board has flourished without any kind of system for a month now. I would hate to see it stop just because of a silly system.

I do agree completely. I am against a system incase that was lost in my many wordy posts, I am just throwing ideas out there incase the system is infact implemented to make it as enjoyable to all parties....

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post

A majority of us want it to give a shout out w/o having to post a comment or send a PM - I figure them as mini PMs i can tell you i like your post and a few quick hellos and it shows the person im still thinking about them

I understand we are doing good without it

BUT

Is there a way to take it away when we start getting those retard members who have no life but to come to boards and flame

If they can take it away anytime they want - then why not give it a chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information