Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed High Five System (Discussion Thread Closes on Friday 9/28)

Interesting. . . thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Without too much difficulty am sure any reference under the post and in the top right of the post could be removed but I doubt without any serious php knowledge that it could be rewritten to only allow the user to view it in his/her own profile.

If it is implemented might just have to deal with a compromise that no one actually can see it on the face of a post but if they click a users profile they can see how many times they have been Hi Fived.

I have never actually used this MOD myself on my forums so I can't say 100% that it it isn't an option to only allow the individual user to view the hi fives in their own profile and no one else can see it but I just don't think that would be easily done.
    I agree with your assessment. Removing the totals from the area near the join date/adopted bronco and from the public profile will be fairly easy.

Adding a list of high fives given to the User CP will not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Perhaps could also just use the normal CP system but make all cps count as 0 contributer points so that their bars don't actually increase.

That way they still know someone appreciated the thread but they get no value from it and no one sees how many times or who from.

I believe this is possible though I have never really played with it.
    I agree. I have considered the Reputation system with zero points, essentially just a way to send quick messages to users tied to specific posts, but we opted to look at this system since a number of people talked about the Freaks' salute system being much better than the BM CP system, the zero point rep might be the better solution if we in fact implement something.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I agree with your assessment. Removing the totals from the area near the join date/adopted bronco and from the public profile will be fairly easy.

Adding a list of high fives given to the User CP will not be.

I agree. I have considered the Reputation system with zero points, essentially just a way to send quick messages to users tied to specific posts, but we opted to look at this system since a number of people talked about the Freaks' salute system being much better than the BM CP system, the zero point rep might be the better solution if we in fact implement something.
    The CP/rep system does have one advantage, in that a message can be
    left with the rep. A couple caveats:

1. The Mane has it where the issuer of the rep is automatically identified. I
    like that.

2. However, the Mane also has negative reps, which I don't like.

3. I also am not fond of the fact thatyou can rep someone, positive or
    negative, until the cows come home. That is one aspect of BM's system I
    prefer: You have to spread the love before coming back to the same
    person, and you can give out only so many CPs a day.

So if we were to revert back to a CP/rep system, my opinion is that it must
    come with some of these features.

So what does everyone think of that?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    The CP/rep system does have one advantage, in that a message can be
    left with the rep. A couple caveats:

1. The Mane has it where the issuer of the rep is automatically identified. I
    like that.
    This can be done. We can make the system automatically identify who sent the reputation message.

2. However, the Mane also has negative reps, which I don't like.
    Ability to give negatives is an option. It is possible to not allow any user to give negatives.

3. I also am not fond of the fact thatyou can rep someone, positive or
    negative, until the cows come home. That is one aspect of BM's system I
    prefer: You have to spread the love before coming back to the same
    person, and you can give out only so many CPs a day.
    This is an option. It can be just like BM, where there is a limit on how many (5, 10, 20) you can give a day, and how many people you have to give Reputation messages to before giving it to the same person again (again, like on BM). This number is also fully adjustable.

So if we were to revert back to a CP/rep system, my opinion is that it must
    come with some of these features.

So what does everyone think of that?
    Everything you pointed out is easily done in the built in vBulletin repuation system (BM's CP system is the vBulletin "Repuation" system with a few minor modifications).

Adopted Bronco:
    Billy Thompson

Please just pm me if you want to discuss further. I'm stepping out of this.

I don't appreciate my character coming into discussion just because I am pro-high five. None of you know me very well. If I'm considered shallow, have low self esteem, need ego strokes, just because I want to give love, what do you care? That is my personal problem. Geez, what a terrible problem to have, too.

And I'm not going to be bullied away! All opinions should matter here, that seems to be the common agreement, right? Please, let's keep the character attacks and "insights", whether perceived or real, out of the discussion.

Whatever the community decides regarding this issue is fine with me. Put me down for PRO KUDOS/LUV, 'cause i am chica.

ps. dogfish--i appreciate your acknowledgement towards me regarding cp abuse. never have.
    Thanks Mastershake!

Quote Originally Posted by Chica_Ang View Post
    Please just pm me if you want to discuss further. I'm stepping out of this.

I don't appreciate my character coming into discussion just because I am pro-high five. None of you know me very well. If I'm considered shallow, have low self esteem, need ego strokes, just because I want to give love, what do you care? That is my personal problem. Geez, what a terrible problem to have, too.

And I'm not going to be bullied away! All opinions should matter here, that seems to be the common agreement, right? Please, let's keep the character attacks and "insights", whether perceived or real, out of the discussion.

Whatever the community decides regarding this issue is fine with me. Put me down for PRO KUDOS/LUV, 'cause i am chica.

ps. dogfish--i appreciate your acknowledgement towards me regarding cp abuse. never have.
    Chica, I hope you don't drop out of the conversation. The view you are referring to is a minority view held by a handful of posters that also believe that the Internet and its anonymity give people the right to disregard all pretenses of the civility that you would have in face-to-face conversations.

I think what is overlooked about these systems is it is not just about getting, but it is a way to acknowledge people that you think have made good contributions. That is why the CP/Reputation system is built into the vBulletin board software, because it is that popular.

It has nothing to do with people being shallow, or lacking something in their 'real' life that must be made up for on the Internet. That is a ridiculous and acidic statement that should never have been made, and you should give it as much credit as it deserves, which is none.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    how about a instead?
    .......how many points is this worth?

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I believe Tned wants the members here to know that he is not the one who
    will be making the decision. He wants the Advisory Board, who represents
    the community, to make the decision.

I wanted to emphasize that so people would understand that this message
    board is not run by the whims of one person. Tned did not want that from
    the start, which is why we set up an Advisory Board out of the chute.

-----
    sorry top....you are correct!

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

i think its evident that just discussing this topic is causing dessention among members.

So is it really worth it to have a system?

If those that want it can live without it, and those that don't want can't live with it, does this even need to be a discussion anymore?

Just read through the posts and when you only have 180 or so members all voices need to be heard and losing one is valuable.

If they come up with a system that no one but the one receiving it and the one that sent it knows about the cp given then why would someone leave over it?

Completely understand the animosity towards everyone knowing what people have as it becomes a status thing but if they do the cp with no rewards given just a note to the poster that only he/she sees it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    i think its evident that just discussing this topic is causing dessention among members.

So is it really worth it to have a system?

If those that want it can live without it, and those that don't want can't live with it, does this even need to be a discussion anymore?

Just read through the posts and when you only have 180 or so members all voices need to be heard and losing one is valuable.
    Yes, it needs to be discussed, because that is the only way we can 'guage' the desires of the forum members. There have been multiple CP discussions up to this point (I believe three threads prior to this) and there were many members that felt strongly that some type of system was needed. So, we attempted to come up with an alternative to a CP/Reputation system, and proposed it here and opened it up for discussion.

If we don't discuss these things that only leaves us with two options:

1. Never make any change or proposal for fear some may not like it.

2. Make the changes that we think best without discussion or 'listening' to the community.

I think discussing issues is the best approach.

Well, I've about had it.

I didn't realize telling someone "good job" was tantamount to needing psychological counseling.

I guess those who "know" others true motives should get their way. I'm out of it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I like the high five system...

My name is Reid and I was a cp whore over at Mania..

I do not need internet gratification, I get that from my Wife and Daughter every day...

It makes people feel good to get praise for things, don't deny it, you know you like it too..It's not a necessity, but reality that a compliment make's someone happy...

I also agree to make the system viewable only to the poster receiving the high fives, that way they can't tout how many they've received.

Adopted Bronco:
    Billy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Chica, I hope you don't drop out of the conversation. The view you are referring to is a minority view held by a handful of posters that also believe that the Internet and its anonymity give people the right to disregard all pretenses of the civility that you would have in face-to-face conversations.

I think what is overlooked about these systems is it is not just about getting, but it is a way to acknowledge people that you think have made good contributions. That is why the CP/Reputation system is built into the vBulletin board software, because it is that popular.

It has nothing to do with people being shallow, or lacking something in their 'real' life that must be made up for on the Internet. That is a ridiculous and acidic statement that should never have been made, and you should give it as much credit as it deserves, which is none.
    Thanks tned---you are right.

High five!
    Thanks Mastershake!

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    Well, I've about had it.

I didn't realize telling someone "good job" was tantamount to needing psychological counseling.

I guess those who "know" others true motives should get their way. I'm out of it.
    Mtnman, check out Tned's responses to Chica. If you want some kind of CP/rep
    system, then it behooves you to remain here and advocate for it. For you to
    vacate it only gives strength to those who oppose it via numbers. We need
    you here so both sides of the argument can be represented.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information