Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed High Five System (Discussion Thread Closes on Friday 9/28)

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    As I said, while I saw those kinds of problems at BM with their system, I
    have seen none of that over at the Mane or Freak with their respective
    systems (have you?), and this one resembles them more than it does BM.

So I really don't forsee much of a problem in that area, if any, here.

-----

i only visit the mane infrequently, and i've never even looked at the freak, so i can't answer that. . . but i still feel that if it's not broke, don't fix it, and this place is very nice right now. . . i do think it should be put to a vote and decided that way, but my personal opinion is "why tempt fate?"
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i only visit the mane infrequently, and i've never even looked at the freak, so i can't answer that. . . but i still feel that if it's not broke, don't fix it, and this place is very nice right now. . . i do think it should be put to a vote and decided that way, but my personal opinion is "why tempt fate?"
    The way the board was set up was with an Advisory Board that represents
    the community. It is made up of seven posters. The Board decides on a
    course of action, then if appropriate it submits their decision to the members
    for discussion, which is the reason for this section on the message board. The
    Board then takes the suggestions back and revises their decision accordingly.
    That is they only feasible way to do it, and it is far better than the others,
    most that are subject to one person's (Admin's) whims.

But I have investigated the other boards closely, and BM is the only place
    where the CP system is even an issue. This is very close to the Freak's
    "salute" system, and nowhere do I see over there any problems whatsoever,
    or that anybody even pays much attention to it as an issue.

We do have a percentage here who would like to have something, so we
    very carefullly planned a system that, if one does not want it or doesn't
    care, it would be easy to just ignore, and one that will not cause any
    particular problems in the future.

I am one who initially had mixed emotions about it, but I am entirely
    comfortable with this one.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    It should be a poll in this trend
    BSD. I understand why you suggest that, and that was considered, but we feel it is much better to simply have threads like this where people can explain why they do or don't like a proposal, and suggest alternatives, modifications to the proposal, etc.

One specific problem I have seen with using polls to make important decisions, is that many times I have seen people that obviously quickly voted based on the poll question, but then after that poster read the dicussion that followed, they post something like, "I voted yes, but after reading this thread and thinking about it, I am against xxx".

Quote Originally Posted by broncosfanscott View Post
    When I posted over at BM before this board started I have to admit I like the idea of CPs and all. However, since I have been over here, I can honestly say that I haven't really missed it that much. If one is put up her, I think there shouldn't be a tally somewhere in the post and should only be visible to a member when they look at their profile so nobody else could see it. Like I said, if things remain the same without some sort of recognition for posts then I will be fine with it.
    This is a good post and I agree with you.I have stated before that I am not
    in favor of a CP system.I think the board is doing very well w/o one.

I don't agree tho that people who do want one are seeking attention or are
    lacking anything in their lives outside this board,I think to some people...its just having a little fun while on the board and there is nothing wrong with that.

I will go along with whatever Tned decides.Either way,I won't leave here if there is one or if there isn't one.

This system isnt like the CP system and I think it will be good in the long run for people who want this sort of thing.We should at least give it a try.
    Last edited by KCL; 09-23-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    BBL hit the nail on the head. . . whether you call it CP, rep, high fives, salutes, whatever, isn't going to make one bit of difference in the end-- people will still end up viewing them as "rep" and coveting them for the little bit of gratification they get, begging for them, arguing about them, and all the other drama. . . one of the reasons i was ready to jump from BM to another board was the chance to get AWAY from all that, let's not start it up again over here. . . .

why do people need additional incentive to come here and enjoy what's shaping up to be a very nice board? isn't it enough to come talk football and whatever else you want with your friends and (mostly) fellow broncos fans?

IF we have to have such a system, i ABSOLUTELY don't think the number you've gotten should be displayed publicly, because that will encourage the begging and bickering. . . personally, i don't even think post count should be displayed or recorded-- how about some true equality, where people can judge each other on their words and the worth of their posts, if they feel the need to judge and quantify at all. . .

regardless, i want to salute you, tned and co., for putting forth a sincere effort to follow up your "mission statement" and give the people what they want. . . i hope we decide against it in the end, but either way it's very much appreciated that you're taking the time to actually consider our feedback-- it creates a much more welcoming atmosphere than the old "we got the money, this is how it's going to be, don't let the door hit ya in tha butt on the way out if you don't like it," and IMHO that in and of itself should be enough incentive for people to come here. . .
    I wish I could give you a high five for this post.......

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I love the proposal. I have just few thoughts/suggestions...

Even without giving "prizes" by showing a total number "high fives" publicly a public rep is being created.

By publicly showing who gave a high five to the post I think we would be dividing ourselves here. I think the bickering and what not would follow soon after.

Your high fives, IMO, should be viewable from your control panel, but not show a total number publicly.

I feel it would be a good idea to show high fives received on individual posts, but not who they came from. Just show "This post received (2) High Fives" or something along those lines.

Or maybe we could call them "Mile High Salutes"?

In a nutshell I like the idea of a CP system. However my "status" I don't feel should be out there for all to see, nor do I feel it should be out there for all to see who game me a "High Five".

Other than those minor changes I think that's a great system.

as ive said before...

i dont like it...

i have never liked it...

ive never begged for cps, or "high fives" as you want to call them here...

ive never really cared...

i think most of us here would still contribute just as much without this...

but if i could suggest anything, it would be that you create a totally private section that can only be viewed by the individual poster in the cp section...

so if i like a post i can click on the "high five" and when the individual in question logs on and wants an ego stroke, they would see that i gave them one, and perhaps even wrote a note...

but if the public dont see it, then there would be no trouble imo for nobody...

and those who dont want it or care about it just need not click on the "user cp" section of their own profile...

that is all...

the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

I really like this idea.

The only thing I'd suggest is to make both Hi 5s received, and Hi 5s given only viewable in the users' CP.

If everyone can see them it may look like somewhat of a CP system and people would complain.

If ONLY you could see how many Hi 5s you've gotten and given, I think that would work out better.

I like the Hi 5s under the post though.

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver View Post
    I really like this idea.

The only thing I'd suggest is to make both Hi 5s received, and Hi 5s given only viewable in the users' CP.

If everyone can see them it may look like somewhat of a CP system and people would complain.

If ONLY you could see how many Hi 5s you've gotten and given, I think that would work out better.

I like the Hi 5s under the post though.
    I think if the system could be altered to do this...it would be a good thing.

Without too much difficulty am sure any reference under the post and in the top right of the post could be removed but I doubt without any serious php knowledge that it could be rewritten to only allow the user to view it in his/her own profile.

If it is implemented might just have to deal with a compromise that no one actually can see it on the face of a post but if they click a users profile they can see how many times they have been Hi Fived.

I have never actually used this MOD myself on my forums so I can't say 100% that it it isn't an option to only allow the individual user to view the hi fives in their own profile and no one else can see it but I just don't think that would be easily done.

Perhaps could also just use the normal CP system but make all cps count as 0 contributer points so that their bars don't actually increase.

That way they still know someone appreciated the thread but they get no value from it and no one sees how many times or who from.

I believe this is possible though I have never really played with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by KCLady View Post
    I wish I could give you a high five for this post.......

how about a instead?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by KCLady View Post
    This is a good post and I agree with you.I have stated before that I am not
    in favor of a CP system.I think the board is doing very well w/o one.

I don't agree tho that people who do want one are seeking attention or are
    lacking anything in their lives outside this board,I think to some people...its just having a little fun while on the board and there is nothing wrong with that.

I will go along with whatever Tned decides.Either way,I won't leave here if there is one or if there isn't one.

This system isnt like the CP system and I think it will be good in the long run for people who want this sort of thing.We should at least give it a try.
    I believe Tned wants the members here to know that he is not the one who
    will be making the decision. He wants the Advisory Board, who represents
    the community, to make the decision.

I wanted to emphasize that so people would understand that this message
    board is not run by the whims of one person. Tned did not want that from
    the start, which is why we set up an Advisory Board out of the chute.

-----

Who is all on the Advisory Board? The moderators. . . who else?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Who is all on the Advisory Board? The moderators. . . who else?
    Denver Native, Jrwiz, Mtnman, KClady, TXBronc, Tned, and me.

-----

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information