Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 111

Thread: Proposed High Five System (Discussion Thread Closes on Friday 9/28)

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I don't know if it would be possible to do or not - tned would have to answer this, but if possible, maybe for any member who does not want to participate, they could disable this feature. and if I understand it correctly, the high fives a member receives will not be visible to any one else, but will be in the member's profile. Correct me if I am wrong tned.
    All High Fives are visible to everyone. They show up below the post they were given to. It is not possible for a single person to 'opt out'.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    727

    Default

    i would like to opt out of recieving high fives if thats possible...

    or at least not showing my high five numbers below my post count...
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson



  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hudson, CO
    Posts
    3,447

    Default

    I like it.

    For those who don't want to use them, DON'T. If you don't want anyone giving one to you, ask them to stop.

    I don't think OPINIONS about people "needing" recognition are called for, and don't contribute to the discussion.

    If you don't like it, that's fine. The additional comments are uncalled for.

    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    303
    Adopted Bronco:
    chris harris, terrell davis, dr. velcro
    Posts
    35,644

    Default

    BBL hit the nail on the head. . . whether you call it CP, rep, high fives, salutes, whatever, isn't going to make one bit of difference in the end-- people will still end up viewing them as "rep" and coveting them for the little bit of gratification they get, begging for them, arguing about them, and all the other drama. . . one of the reasons i was ready to jump from BM to another board was the chance to get AWAY from all that, let's not start it up again over here. . . .

    why do people need additional incentive to come here and enjoy what's shaping up to be a very nice board? isn't it enough to come talk football and whatever else you want with your friends and (mostly) fellow broncos fans?

    IF we have to have such a system, i ABSOLUTELY don't think the number you've gotten should be displayed publicly, because that will encourage the begging and bickering. . . personally, i don't even think post count should be displayed or recorded-- how about some true equality, where people can judge each other on their words and the worth of their posts, if they feel the need to judge and quantify at all. . .

    regardless, i want to salute you, tned and co., for putting forth a sincere effort to follow up your "mission statement" and give the people what they want. . . i hope we decide against it in the end, but either way it's very much appreciated that you're taking the time to actually consider our feedback-- it creates a much more welcoming atmosphere than the old "we got the money, this is how it's going to be, don't let the door hit ya in tha butt on the way out if you don't like it," and IMHO that in and of itself should be enough incentive for people to come here. . .

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman
    Posts
    6,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    No, I don't like this idea. It's just another reason for people to "feel good" about themselves on the internet.

    Why do people need that sort of gratification? Seriously?

    Personal short comings or what?
    I agree.

    We have done without any type of system now for almost 2 months of board existence and our numbers are still going up.

    Dream, your post reminds me of a country song on the radio right now....its called "Online" by Brad Paisley. The jest of it is .....I am soooo much cooler online.

    We are here to talk....anything and everything but most importantly Broncos. If someone wants to agree with me in a post, then respond and give me a thumbs up, say you agree, and add to it. Thats the main thing.....ADD to it.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sasquatch country
    Adopted Bronco:
    Billy Thompson
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Well, I personally don't consider it a shortcoming to want to "feel good" online.

    I like the high-five idea, and I will honor earlier posters with my promise that I won't high-five any of their posts.

    Sorry---feeling a little -ive.
    Thanks Mastershake!

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    I don't think OPINIONS about people "needing" recognition are called for, and don't contribute to the discussion.

    If you don't like it, that's fine. The additional comments are uncalled for.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, and I'm more than welcome to share it. After all, it's an opinion. To each his own.

    I personally believe that people want a system like this because it makes them feel better about themselves through internet gratification, perhaps because they lack that sort of gratification in real life.

    It's just really sad. It's like you're always "asking" for a pat on the back. Everyone here in some way or another has established themself on another forum. For the most part, everyone knows who is who and what they bring to the table. A guy like Dogfish I respect because of his breakdowns on the games, and the immense football knowledge he displays. I don't think he needs a "pat on the back" or "hand clap" (whatever this is) to demonstrate that he did something well. Knowing Dogfish on 'Mania for a whlie, we're accustomed to his fabulous posts. That's what I expect from him. He doesn't need that gratification.

    I've never been a fan of people who always seek and want attention. That's exactly what the CP system is. People seeking gratification and attention.

    The cliques here and elsewhere have already been formed, and there will be similar abuse through this system as there was elsewhere.

    To me, it's not a good idea.

    It's just an alternative Contribution Point system. I don't see the benefit at all. Perhaps we should analyze what it does for the community here, and what it doesn't to. It's quite obvious from this thread right now, that it's going to be a perpetual cycle of bickering back and forth that will never resolve anything.

    Say no to "Egostroking" - do not install any sort of CP System.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell
    Posts
    30,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, and I'm more than welcome to share it. After all, it's an opinion. To each his own.

    I personally believe that people want a system like this because it makes them feel better about themselves through internet gratification, perhaps because they lack that sort of gratification in real life.

    It's just really sad. It's like you're always "asking" for a pat on the back. Everyone here in some way or another has established themself on another forum. For the most part, everyone knows who is who and what they bring to the table. A guy like Dogfish I respect because of his breakdowns on the games, and the immense football knowledge he displays. I don't think he needs a "pat on the back" or "hand clap" (whatever this is) to demonstrate that he did something well. Knowing Dogfish on 'Mania for a whlie, we're accustomed to his fabulous posts. That's what I expect from him. He doesn't need that gratification.

    I've never been a fan of people who always seek and want attention. That's exactly what the CP system is. People seeking gratification and attention.

    The cliques here and elsewhere have already been formed, and there will be similar abuse through this system as there was elsewhere.

    To me, it's not a good idea.

    It's just an alternative Contribution Point system. I don't see the benefit at all. Perhaps we should analyze what it does for the community here, and what it doesn't to. It's quite obvious from this thread right now, that it's going to be a perpetual cycle of bickering back and forth that will never resolve anything.

    Say no to "Egostroking" - do not install any sort of CP System.
    We appreciate your input, Dream. You make some good points.

    Most everyone, however, likes compliments, especially those that stay. This
    "point" system is that. A person can look at accumulated points and feel
    gratified at the degree to which they contributed to the board. There is no
    "ranking" system or exclusive forums as there is on BM. Just the
    complimentary points. The Mane has such a system, as does Freak, and it
    does not seem to be causing any problems there.

    To those of use who don't want them or don't care, pfffft . . . let's just
    ignore them. We have that right, too. But for those who like them, it will
    be there for them. It should be neither here nor there to us.

    Does that make sense?

    -----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    When I posted over at BM before this board started I have to admit I like the idea of CPs and all. However, since I have been over here, I can honestly say that I haven't really missed it that much. If one is put up her, I think there shouldn't be a tally somewhere in the post and should only be visible to a member when they look at their profile so nobody else could see it. Like I said, if things remain the same without some sort of recognition for posts then I will be fine with it.
    2007-08 MVP

    Thanks MasterShake for the sig



    On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    303
    Adopted Bronco:
    chris harris, terrell davis, dr. velcro
    Posts
    35,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    We appreciate your input, Dream. You make some good points.

    Most everyone, however, likes compliments, especially those that stay. This
    "point" system is that. A person can look at accumulated points and feel
    gratified at the degree to which they contributed to the board. There is no
    "ranking" system or exclusive forums as there is on BM. Just the
    complimentary points. The Mane has such a system, as does Freak, and it
    does not seem to be causing any problems there.

    To those of use who don't want them or don't care, pfffft . . . let's just
    ignore them. We have that right, too. But for those who like them, it will
    be there for them. It should be neither here nor there to us.

    Does that make sense?

    -----

    top, i see what you're saying, but my concern is that no matter how it's intended, if one's number of high-fives, or whatever they end up being called, is public knowledge, then certain people will make a competition or ego thing out of it-- the system could be started with the best of intentions, but anything is corruptible, and i'm afraid that pretty soon we'll have to hear complaints from some people about how they're not getting enough high-fives, can someone please give them some high-fives. . . that's the thing-- if they're intended to make people feel good, people who aren't getting them may end up feeling the opposite. . .

    it's a fair point that you can ignore it if you don't like it, but back on BM i sometimes found it difficult with the sheer volume of threads dealing with the issue, and the fact that it quite often spilled out into unrelated threads. . . it always frustrated me when half a dozen CP threads would pop up in one day and drive more interesting threads off the front page of ABF. . . it was also tough to ignore the bad feelings that it sometimes generated between certain posters, as those also carried over to unrelated threads in plenty of instances. . .

    i certainly don't want to make chica or anyone else feel defensive, as i do understand why people like the system (of course, i never felt that she was one of the ones abusing it and making a bigger deal of it than it was worth, either)-- i liked it myself when i first joined the board, until i saw how much of a distraction it was becoming. . . JMHO, and it's not worth any more or less than anyone else's, but i just can't help feeling that the good outweighs the bad, and that the potential drama and spam the system is likely to create isn't worth the positives it may generate. . .




    oh, and thanks for the props dream. . . .

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51,908

    Default

    FWIW, the system could be implemented with no totals at all. Not in the users profile, or in the area near Join date/post count.

    In that configuration, it would be an alternative to creating a quoted post with just the words "great post".

    In the CP discussion threads, one of the reasons people said they liked some type of CP system was as a way of letting the poster know they liked/agreed with their post, without quoting them and posting "I agree" or "great post".

    So, in that configuration, essentionally all you would have is this, but without the totals in the upper right that say "High Five: 0" and "High Fived 2 times in 1 Posts":




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oakland,CA
    Adopted Bronco:
    Shaun Phillips
    Posts
    91

    Default

    It should be a poll in this trend

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Well, if we were to have the high five thing, this is how I would prefer to have it. A lot of good discussion in here. I don't think quantifying someones like of a "CP" like system to having a need for online gratification is fair, but that's opinion. It's not that I disagree with it, because for some cases I think it is true, but I hate generalizations of any kind. To lump everyone in the same catagory are dangerous statements IMO....

    However if you were to have the high five system, I would prefer the high fives to be anonymous. At the bottom of the post have, 2 high fives for this post, 5 high fives for this post... etc, etc.....

    I wouldn;t want anything near the post count or the upper right corner that tallies high fives in a single post, or total altogether. I would prefer for the system to be completely anonymous, to be listed only in the post the high fives are given, and for no totals given anywhere (whetehr totals of most HF's in one post, or totals altogehter), privately or otherwise....

    Just my opinion for what little it's worth
    Last edited by BigBroncLove; 09-23-2007 at 01:08 AM.
    Temp sig till I find another one

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman
    Posts
    6,845

    Default

    This might be a little off topic...but those of you in FAVOR of some kind of CP, rep, high five system...how often do you go back to BM and check your CP status?

    Be honest.

    I was a top member over there....a Captain in the top 10 before I was banned and could easely come over here and say YES we need that kind of system over here..but I don't care.

    Who cares about some CP, REP, or High FIve? IF you do, then go back to the other board because if you are only concerned about gaining some status while talking on an internet message board and your "real life friends or family could care less" then what does it matter??

    I have enjoyed reading the posts, articles, threads...etc. on this board over that past month because I have KNOWN that there was NO hidden objective to someones post, article, or opinion. Over at the "other" board it was evident when someone was posting a certain thread, bashing a certain player/coach...that they were in it for CP's.

    This place is new, fresh and thriving and doesn't need a system of any kind.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell
    Posts
    30,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    top, i see what you're saying, but my concern is that no matter how it's intended, if one's number of high-fives, or whatever they end up being called, is public knowledge, then certain people will make a competition or ego thing out of it-- the system could be started with the best of intentions, but anything is corruptible, and i'm afraid that pretty soon we'll have to hear complaints from some people about how they're not getting enough high-fives, can someone please give them some high-fives. . . that's the thing-- if they're intended to make people feel good, people who aren't getting them may end up feeling the opposite. . .

    it's a fair point that you can ignore it if you don't like it, but back on BM i sometimes found it difficult with the sheer volume of threads dealing with the issue, and the fact that it quite often spilled out into unrelated threads. . . it always frustrated me when half a dozen CP threads would pop up in one day and drive more interesting threads off the front page of ABF. . . it was also tough to ignore the bad feelings that it sometimes generated between certain posters, as those also carried over to unrelated threads in plenty of instances. . .

    i certainly don't want to make chica or anyone else feel defensive, as i do understand why people like the system (of course, i never felt that she was one of the ones abusing it and making a bigger deal of it than it was worth, either)-- i liked it myself when i first joined the board, until i saw how much of a distraction it was becoming. . . JMHO, and it's not worth any more or less than anyone else's, but i just can't help feeling that the good outweighs the bad, and that the potential drama and spam the system is likely to create isn't worth the positives it may generate. . .




    oh, and thanks for the props dream. . . .
    As I said, while I saw those kinds of problems at BM with their system, I
    have seen none of that over at the Mane or Freak with their respective
    systems (have you?), and this one resembles them more than it does BM.

    So I really don't forsee much of a problem in that area, if any, here.

    -----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM
  2. Please review: New Location for Forum Feedback and Proposed High Five System
    By Tned in forum What's on your Mind (Chit Chat)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group