Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beating Texans Didn't Cost Broncos #2 Pick

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Beating Texans Didn't Cost Broncos #2 Pick

Thanks to Cincinnati's win over the Chuggers, the Broncos were able to enjoy a late-season win without costing them the #2 pick overall in next spring's draft.

The Broncos, Bengals and Bills are all at 4-11 but the Broncos win the strength-of-schedule tie-breaker since they play in the weak AFC West and their schedule includes the WAC-like NFC West as their interconference foes.

Denver's SOS is currently at .508
    Cincinnati's SOS is currently at .580
    Buffalo's SOS is currently at .582

which means that a loss at home to San Diego next Sunday assures them of the #2 overall pick while a win might cause them to fall as far as sixth depending on other results.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Thanks to Cincinnati's win over the Chuggers, the Broncos were able to enjoy a late-season win without costing them the #2 pick overall in next spring's draft.

The Broncos, Bengals and Bills are all at 4-11 but the Broncos win the strength-of-schedule tie-breaker since they play in the weak AFC West and their schedule includes the WAC-like NFC West as their interconference foes.

Denver's SOS is currently at .508
    Cincinnati's SOS is currently at .580
    Buffalo's SOS is currently at .582

which means that a loss at home to San Diego next Sunday assures them of the #2 overall pick while a win might cause them to fall as far as sixth depending on other results.
    The question will be, will the Sparklers mail it in with nothing left to play for? Tebow and the Broncos are going to play to win at home, I worry the Sparklers won't. Not that I'd be upset with another win, but I would love to be at #2 overall and really being able to have our choice of the best defensive talent.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

So, if Luck doesn't come out this year who does Carolina take? Bowers?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

But be careful what you wish for. You have to go all the way back to 2002 (Julius Peppers) to find an overall #2 draft choice who has earned multiple Pro Bowl selections:

2010: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska, Lions
    2009: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor, Rams
    2008: Chris Long, DE, Virginia, Rams
    2007: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech, Lions
    2006: Reggie Bush, RB, USC, Saints
    2005: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn, Dolphins
    2004: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa, Raiders
    2003: Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan St., Lions
    2002: Julius Pepper, DE, North Carolina, Panthers

Not that this is a bad list by any means but some haven't been the future Hall-of-Famers we might have expected when they were drafted.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Seems like a win-win for us. Letting optimism prevail...

If we lose, we get a great pick that will likely fill a huge need for our franchise for years to come. If we win, it means Tebow had another great game, we finish our season with promise for next year, and we still get a good (less expensive) pick that will help our team for years to come.

Beat the Chargers!

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    So, if Luck doesn't come out this year who does Carolina take? Bowers?
    Here's this guys opinion!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...ford-whos-no-1

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BigSarge87 View Post
    Seems like a win-win for us. Letting optimism prevail...

If we lose, we get a great pick that will likely fill a huge need for our franchise for years to come. If we win, it means Tebow had another great game, we finish our season with promise for next year, and we still get a good (less expensive) pick that will help our team for years to come.

Beat the Chargers!
    I agree with this, it's not really bad news either way.

But I know one thing. The Tebow-led Broncos will not go down without one Hell of a fight.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold a pale Bronco
    And his name that sat on it was Tebow
    And Hell followed with him

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

May be we will trade down to add more pics (we have only 6) or we will trade Orton to do that... Bowers or not, it seems there are some good talent for our front 7 anyway
    Froggy's back !

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I would love it if they were able to trade down. It just doesn't happen that ofter. The cost of the higher picks in both money and draft picks makes it unlikely that any team will want to jump up to get the #2 pick.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I would love it if they were able to trade down. It just doesn't happen that ofter. The cost of the higher picks in both money and draft picks makes it unlikely that any team will want to jump up to get the #2 pick.
    Unless they knock out a CBA. Which would be a good year for that to happen (for us).

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Unless they knock out a CBA. Which would be a good year for that to happen (for us).
    Good point, this would be the best time ever to have a rookie salary cap.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Supposedly, a new CBA will have to be worked out before the new draft class can sign their contracts if there's a lock-out (there will still be a draft, regardless). In that new CBA, both the players and owners appear to be in favor of a rookie draft pick pay scale that cuts rookie salaries tremendously so the owners can pay vets and retirees more and give them better benefits.

I think the whole Jawalrus Russel scenario has left a bad taste in both the players' and owners' mouths. I expect it to be easier to trade down because the big payout won't be anywhere near as high for top draft picks anymore. That's the rumor, anyway. It's one of the few things the owners and players agree on...

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

18. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

At the sake of the owners adding 2 more games, which pretty much everyone besides them thinks is a lame idea.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Supposedly, a new CBA will have to be worked out before the new draft class can sign their contracts if there's a lock-out (there will still be a draft, regardless). In that new CBA, both the players and owners appear to be in favor of a rookie draft pick pay scale that cuts rookie salaries tremendously so the owners can pay vets and retirees more and give them better benefits.

I think the whole Jawalrus Russel scenario has left a bad taste in both the players' and owners' mouths. I expect it to be easier to trade down because the big payout won't be anywhere near as high for top draft picks anymore. That's the rumor, anyway. It's one of the few things the owners and players agree on...
    It still doesn't change the draft value board and the fact that a team has to give up much of it's draft to move up a few spaces in the top five. I would bust a nut if someone did a Ricky Williams with us.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I would bust a nut if someone did a Ricky Williams with us.
    OMG I would fly out to you if that happened.

23. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information