Thread: Broken Arrow High School defeats Union (Okla) High school ending 18 year and 22 game drought

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default Broken Arrow High School defeats Union (Okla) High school ending 18 year and 22 game drought

Maybe not big news to most outside of Oklahoma, but last night the Broken Arrow Tigers (where I graduated from, and where my little sister currently goes) beat the Union Redskins 24-9. It's the first time in 22 meetings, and the first time since 1989 that Broken Arrow defeated their most heated rival in football. It's about dang time...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/ext...3_Broken892555

BROKEN ARROW — While in the midst of the pandemonium as Memorial Stadium's Tiger Field was filled with celebrating students and fans, Broken Arrow senior center Kevin Easley seemed to sum up well the thoughts of his teammates after a 24-9 victory over Union on Friday night.

"This is the greatest feeling in my life," Easley said.

Broken Arrow snapped a 22-game losing streak to Union. The Tigers had not defeated the Redskins since 1989.

The Broken Arrow heroes were numerous in the season opener for both teams. Steven Hopper, a backup tailback who made his first start as a replacement for injured Jerrod Green, rushed for 130 yards on 31 carries and a touchdown.

Senior quarterback Cale Fulps was nearly perfect as he completed 10-of-15 passes for 103 yards and a TD. J.T. Goins had two interceptions, including a 47-yard return for a TD to cap off a stellar night for the Tigers' defense that limited Union tailback Jeremy Smith to 93 yards on 22 carries. Smith had rushed for a combined 314 yards in Union's previous two wins over Broken Arrow.

Although Broken Arrow held a 14-7 lead with nine minutes left and its defense had dominated most of the game, Fulps knew it was no time to go into an offensive shell against Union. The Redskins had just scored on Chase Boyce's 30-yard TD pass to Tracy Moore, who dragged a few tacklers with him the final few steps into the end zone.

"We had to make something happen," Fulps said.

Fulps completed three clutch passes on a drive that ended up with Carl Salazar kicking a 38-yard field goal that made it 17-7 with 5:24 left. The key play was a 33-yard completion to Neal Pinkney.

"We stepped up and didn't lay down when Union challenged us," Fulps said. "That's the difference between tonight and the last 22 times we had played Union."

Fifty-five seconds later, the Broken Arrow fans were rocking the stadium after Goins' interception return sealed the fourth-ranked Class 6A Tigers' victory over the No. 2 Redskins.

"This is a special night," Broken Arrow coach Ron Lancaster said.

Broken Arrow began the scoring on a 20-yard pass from Fulps to Pinkney in the first quarter.

That 10-play, 59-yard opening drive that chewed up almost half of the first quarter set the tone as Union committed three costly offside penalties.

One of the penalties occurred on the opening kickoff and that enabled Broken Arrow to start at its own 41 instead of its 20.

Another offside penalty gave Broken Arrow a first down on a 4th-and-4 punting situation.

"Our inexperience showed," said Union coach Kirk Fridrich. "But my hat's off to Broken Arrow. They played a great game."

Neither team scored in the middle two periods. Hopper made it 14-0 when he raced 67 yards \with lineman Aaron Kannard leading the way with 10:59 left.

Hopper was filling in for Green, an 1,104-yard rusher last year. Green underwent a hernia operation on Friday and it's undetermined how long he will be sidelined.

"Steven is an incredible story," Lancaster said. "He hadn't played football in two years and to do what he did tonight is incredible. He and Jerrod are tight and when he found out Jerrod couldn't play he knew it was going to be on him. At halftime I told him something big was going to happen in the second half. To see him go down the sideline on that long run was unbelievable."

2. The Following User High Fived Italianmobstr7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

A little late but yeah it was freakin great - I hate the town of BA now - too big - cops are dics, etc but the Union elitists needed a good ass whoopin

My daughter works in a daycare that is all Union people (due to its location) she is BA of course and she was so happy - even though she cant stand sports
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I like BA. The cops are dics though. My grandma lives in Union's district, and my best friends Mom works for them, so I don't hate Union, but it was nice to see BA finally snap the streak. It's too bad it came 3 years too late. Wish we could've beat them when I was in High School. There would have been some massive parties!

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

BA cops are the biggest dics on the face of the planet

Ever single one - except the black coach dude - he's cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information