View Poll Results: If you could take back ONE McDaniels decision, which would it be?

Voters
84. This poll is closed
  • The Cutler Trade

31 36.90%
  • The Marshall Trade

0 0%
  • The Scheffler Trade

0 0%
  • The Hillis Trade

26 30.95%
  • The Alphonso Smith Draft pick

6 7.14%
  • Drafting Knowshon at 12 over Orakpo or someone else

9 10.71%
  • Allowing Nolan to leave (forcing him out)

10 11.90%
  • Allowing Turner and Dennison to leave (forcing them out)

1 1.19%
  • Drafting Tebow

0 0%
  • Spygate II

1 1.19%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: If you could take back just one thing...

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

you forgot....
    not retiring after his first 6 games !

2. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Voted for the Cutler Trade because that was absolutely idiotic but that incident forcing him to overpay for a "project" QB made it significantly worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Hiring McD.
    BINGO! Nothing could turn a LOSER of a coach into a WINNER!

He inherited talent. He got rid of it.
    He brought in failures and defended his choices.

In short everything he did was a total disaster. Undoing the Cutler trade would only have kept him around longer, because Cutler could carry a team to probably around a 7-9 record or something, just the way he and Marshall carried the team in 2008 despite the total lack of defense.

At least he would have done better than Kyle Orton -- which would only have kept McIdiot around long enough to permanently destroy this franchise! How many more drafts would it have taken McDaniels to sink the Broncos for an entire decade?

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    It start with Cutler and goes down hill from there. The trade of Cutler required Denver to revamp the offense and pull resources away for the defense.
    Sadly, if you give a wads of thousand dollar bills to a junkie he's just going to squander them. Give McDaniels unlimited draft picks and he'd just waste them. As he did.

He probably would have used the #1 overall pick on Tebow if Denver had had it! Or maybe he'd have drafted Ayers #1. God knows with that idiot!
    Last edited by Cugel; 12-21-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Our issue the last decade has been defense. We finally got a good DC and he shipped him out. That one infuriates me.

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Our issue the last decade has been defense. We finally got a good DC and he shipped him out. That one infuriates me.
    x2. I voted getting rid of Nolan as well. Just look how much our D has gone down without him this year. Sure there were problems last season on D... but could you imagine what Nolan could have down with a couple of high draft picks??

So many things that McD did bring up the question... What if??
    Sad really...

On a side note, with McD gone, my hatred of Jay Cutler seems to be gone. I wanted to blame Jay so bad for that whole issue... but after two seasons of watching McD, I'm pretty sure Cutler was only a small SMALL fraction of the problem.

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

10. The Following User High Fived camdisco24 For This Post:

should be a ranking of his stupidity not a single choice

1. the cutler fiasco

2. fireing nolan

3. wasting the 12th pick on moreno

4. trading hillis

5. setting the tone of who cares if your a solid player..if i get a chance to land a former pat, your history, with paxton

6. alphonso smith...from the wasted pick to tradeing him for a 7th rd TE

7. blowing 2 3rds on quinn

8. trading marshall

Adopted Bronco:
    the beer guy

Can we stop this thread.... Its staring to get depressing.....Hell it IS depressing. lol

13. The Following User High Fived Juriga72 For This Post:

GEM

On a side note, with McD gone, my hatred of Jay Cutler seems to be gone. I wanted to blame Jay so bad for that whole issue... but after two seasons of watching McD, I'm pretty sure Cutler was only a small SMALL fraction of the problem.
    I'm really not trying to pick a fight here, but I just never understood this attitude. Why would you so badly want to blame Cutler, when it was clear from the beginning that it wasn't really his fault?

I would put myself in Cutler's place and realize that I'd want to be traded too if someone treated me the way McDaniels did and said the things he did.

Why should the player have to be loyal to the team when the team isn't going to be loyal to him? How much loyalty would you show to your boss if that boss first told you what a valuable employee you were and how happy he was to be working with you.

Then he went behind your back and tried to bring in a guy he worked with in another branch office to replace you and take your job!

Then he tried to cover up and lie about it, and when people told you privately what REALLY went down, he flatly lied to your face and said he'd do it all again in a heart-beat!

What if you knew that lot of other companies would love to hire you? Would you sit around and tolerate the abuse and finger-pointing behind your back? Why put up with it if you don't have to?

McDaniels wanted "his QB" from the beginning. And Cutler was Shanahan's guy. McDaniels was just trying to figure out a face saving way to get rid of him from the beginning and get Matt Cassell.

And when that blew up in his face, he just made up an idiotic cover story and stuck to it, secure in the knowledge that many fans WANTED desperately to believe the lies.

I'll just never understand it.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I had to think about this and I realized that once you conclude that McDaniels was an epic mistake, all these decisions contributed to his quick dismissal which, otherwise, might have continued another 1-2 seasons. So, I think each misstep is a positive in the eventual process of removing the real cancer, which was McDaniels.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Hiring McD.
    You beat me to it . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by dunk7 View Post
    Voted for the Cutler Trade because that was absolutely idiotic but that incident forcing him to overpay for a "project" QB made it significantly worse.
    Actually, I didn't think the trade itself was so bad. I thought at the time,
    "Now, there's our chance at building a defense."

Hmmph . . . bet me . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I'm really not trying to pick a fight here, but I just never understood this attitude. Why would you so badly want to blame Cutler, when it was clear from the beginning that it wasn't really his fault?

I would put myself in Cutler's place and realize that I'd want to be traded too if someone treated me the way McDaniels did and said the things he did.

Why should the player have to be loyal to the team when the team isn't going to be loyal to him? How much loyalty would you show to your boss if that boss first told you what a valuable employee you were and how happy he was to be working with you.

Then he went behind your back and tried to bring in a guy he worked with in another branch office to replace you and take your job!

Then he tried to cover up and lie about it, and when people told you privately what REALLY went down, he flatly lied to your face and said he'd do it all again in a heart-beat!

What if you knew that lot of other companies would love to hire you? Would you sit around and tolerate the abuse and finger-pointing behind your back? Why put up with it if you don't have to?

McDaniels wanted "his QB" from the beginning. And Cutler was Shanahan's guy. McDaniels was just trying to figure out a face saving way to get rid of him from the beginning and get Matt Cassell.

And when that blew up in his face, he just made up an idiotic cover story and stuck to it, secure in the knowledge that many fans WANTED desperately to believe the lies.

I'll just never understand it.
    Honestly, I agree with all that.
    I can't explain it either now that I look at the big picture. I wanted to make the guy still with the Broncos look good, and the kid on the bears look like a Diva. Now... that entire thought process was wrong, but I didn't realize it until McD was shown the door (and watching all the other douchy things he did...)

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Cutler. We would be a competitive team with Cutler behind center. We would have been able to focus more on the defense, rather than bringing in guys like Tebow and Quinn to replace Orton. Granted, we would have had less draft picks, but with only one in 2010, presumably, McD wouldn't have wasted one on Smith. Hard to say with only one, if we would have wound up with Moreno, Orakpo or Ayers.

Regardless, his baggage aside, Cutler is damn good QB and would have actually given McDaniels offense a chance to win. Ironically, McDaniels would almost certainly be the HC in 2011 if he hadn't fired Cutler.
    Not a big fan of Cutler's attitude, but he has the tools of a great QB... No doubt about that...

I'm on boards with Tned because I thought we would have focused on D rather than to dismantle our good O... OK, we weren't efficient in the RZ, but there was something we could have adressed IMO. May be Jay would have learned a lot with McD... Who knows?
    I would be comfortable with Jay and a D ala Ravens or Steelers anyday ! I would give up Moreno, Hillis & co for that in a heartbeat.

Instead of building a good D to support our good O, we built another O with a very poor D... I'm totally sick of that.
    Damn, how good it would be to have taken Orakpo and to know what a D is...

Hope the next HC has learned the lesson and won't go on O during the next draft... We need a D... Play Tebow and build a good team (O, D and ST) around him... Then I think we could talk about playoffs again...
    Froggy's back !

21. The Following User High Fived frenchfan For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    the beer guy

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfan View Post
    Not a big fan of Cutler's attitude, but he has the tools of a great QB... No doubt about that...

I'm on boards with Tned because I thought we would have focused on D rather than to dismantle our good O... OK, we weren't efficient in the RZ, but there was something we could have adressed IMO. May be Jay would have learned a lot with McD... Who knows?
    I would be comfortable with Jay and a D ala Ravens or Steelers anyday ! I would give up Moreno, Hillis & co for that in a heartbeat.

Instead of building a good D to support our good O, we built another O with a very poor D... I'm totally sick of that.
    Damn, how good it would be to have taken Orakpo and to know what a D is...

Hope the next HC has learned the lesson and won't go on O during the next draft... We need a D... Play Tebow and build a good team (O, D and ST) around him... Then I think we could talk about playoffs again...
    Like I said in the other thread....
    Mcd COULD have made the Cutler trade into Herschel Walker II, instead he turned it into Jerome Bettis for Lawrence Phillps II.......

I still will piss on his grave someday for that......

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information