Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Xanders:McDaniels had the final say on all roster matters.

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    He was promoted to position of more power based on company structure - to your point he really had no power - In my world that is a pawn.
    (not his fault- or is it?)
    If he knew this going and was just glad to be there then he was incompetent of holding that job.
    If he found this out later and still remained in his job (meaning didn't force them to fire him or quit) then he was weak..

and no he's not my whipping boy - but he does not get a pass..
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post

Yes, because what I am suggesting is so much of a stretch that you need to belittle it as a conspiracy theory as opposed to take it head on. Childish tactics aside, I will oblige your pettiness.

Furthermore, following this team and being on these boards as much as you and I are, I would think you could recall the articles I am referencing. They have been used several times before. But will play the silly little link/article/quote game

I guess in your world a manager is above General Manager?

Again to my point that Xanders seems willing to simply go along with whatever anybody in the fo/ownership want.

He is considered a TRUE GM? But now that josh is fired he couldn't speak up or stand up to McDaniels for fear of losing his job?

Then I don't want that as a GM even if it meant him losing his job! It tells me he would rather take a paycheck then do what he has been hired and touted-in the media-to do.

Oh and let's not forget his quote

Xanders obviously knew how the press worked back then. He was supportive of McD to the very end! Only now is he the innocent bystander

As to my point that he was simply a cap and contract guy!

Funny, they didn't hire someone else. They obviously felt comfortable with McDaniels and Xanders working relationship. If they hadn't I would think we would have seen that hire made. They didn't hire someone and Xanders never spoke up or made known any differences UNTIL McD was gone. Just like Ellis is trying to distance himself from McD now.

Make up your mind. Xanders has done nothing; or, at a minimum, he was in lockstep with McDaniels and simply too weak-DESPITE PUBLICLY BEING NAMED GM-to stand up to McDaniels or agreed with the moves as they were made.

Either way, I still dont see anything that would excite me as a fan should Xanders be given more power.
    I don't know if Xanders was originally given final say in personnel decisions, as Bowlen's "true GM" statement would indicate, but would was very clear is that sometime shortly after that (it not at that time), McDaniels was given final say in player moves.

The only real place you and I disagree is that you are calling Xanders all kinds of names for DOING what his bosses, and the owner of the organization, told him to do.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Sorry, this makes no sense.

You do realize that different companies have different job descriptions for any given title, right?

In one company, VP of sales might be over every aspect of sales, including marketing, advertising, salesforce, etc.

In another, it might only be in charge of the sales force. Etc.

To say he is a pawn for accepting a role that appears to have been to work on contracts and cap issues, makes no sense.

It makes sense but I may not be able to convince you.

was he not promoted to a higher position? was he not previously in postion focusing on contracts and cap? so he was promoted to the same job? why would they do that?
    Was he not mentioned as a leader in the organization to work along side Josh to build a team? a lot of face time for the defacto pencil pusher.

why is not possible he actually was working with Josh in lock step -- until the day Josh get's fired and he sees an opportunity to distance himself.. Happens all the time..

anyway.. almost game time..

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    It isn't to you? The Elway back to the organization was moving quickly and going to happen very fast then things stalled out. Who was the first on record? Ellis. What were his comments? Distancing the idea of Elway being a major power in the organization. Only then did Elway come out and clarify his interests. There was another post I read that Bowlen's family (brother or kid don't recall) that indicated they wanted Ellis gone.
    Come on I appreciate an overactive imagination, but reallly???

I don't know if Xanders was originally given final say in personnel decisions, as Bowlen's "true GM" statement would indicate, but would was very clear is that sometime shortly after that (it not at that time), McDaniels was given final say in player moves.
    Here's my take on it and this has been my take for almost 2 seasons now. McD was never officially given full control. He took it and nobody stepped up to stop him-not Ellis, not Bowlen, and not Xanders.

I think McDaniels saw that he could sell his good relationship with Xanders as a way to remove the Goodmans. Remember Jim Goodman had been here 11 years and I am sure McDaniels questioned or at least feared how much influence Goodman had especially knowing the drafts under Goodman had been much better than they were with Shanahan having the complete control.

Ultimately McDaniels knew that Xanders was either weak and wouldn't disagree or knew Xanders would go along with McDaniels' vision. At the least, McDaniels may have felt X would be an easy scapegoat later on. Who knows.

In the end, I have always said that McD had full control. People always countered that X was the true GM. I never stood by that and have always said he is simply a cap and contract guy. I always pointed to the lack of questions being pointed at Xanders with ANY OF THE PERSONNEL MOVES!

However, he was NAMED GM. Why take that title and do it in a public fashion if you aren't going to try to put your mark on the organization as such?

The only real place you and I disagree is that you are calling Xanders all kinds of names for DOING what his bosses, and the owner of the organization, told him to do.
    I guess that was done in haste on my part. I will edit that post. Like nevercraw has pointed out, either side of the argument doesn't reflect well for Xanders.
    Last edited by jhildebrand; 12-19-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    It makes sense but I may not be able to convince you.

was he not promoted to a higher position? was he not previously in postion focusing on contracts and cap? so he was promoted to the same job? why would they do that?
    Was he not mentioned as a leader in the organization to work along side Josh to build a team? a lot of face time for the defacto pencil pusher.

why is not possible he actually was working with Josh in lock step -- until the day Josh get's fired and he sees an opportunity to distance himself.. Happens all the time..

anyway.. almost game time..
    Why was Dennison promoted to OC when he wasn't really the OC? Come on, you know that titles don't mean crap in the NFL or in business.

Because the reporters that are in Dove Valley every day said at least as early as this past off season that Xanders had no real power, that McDaniels had Shanahan like power.

You are saying "why is it not possible" as your proof, rather than believing the people that make their living covering the team, which happens to correlate with the 'official' team version.

Anyway, as fun as this has been, I'm going to go watch the savior of our franchise.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information