Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Xanders:McDaniels had the final say on all roster matters.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

it doesnt matter who is coach or GM, its clear the new man in charge of denver is joe ellis and as long as that continues we will be fudged in dove valley for a very long time....It doesnt matter what happens that dude runs shit for bowlen and the fans will suffer as a result, it will probally take blacked out games for Bowlen to realize its joe and nothing else thats destroying this franchise....i feel sorry for john elway now knowing he has to deal with that tool more frequently.....i hope to god elway has the balls for a power push over joe ellis when the time comes....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Exactly. I believe 100% that McD had the final say on things but that just makes Xanders a sheeple and when your a GM there is no place for that. That just spells trouble and Xanders is guilty of being a yes man which makes him just as guilty. The fact that Bowlen and Ellis allowed this makes them guilty too.
    sheeple = People + sheep

4. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Exactly. I believe 100% that McD had the final say on things but that just makes Xanders a sheeple and when your a GM there is no place for that. That just spells trouble and Xanders is guilty of being a yes man which makes him just as guilty. The fact that Bowlen and Ellis allowed this makes them guilty too.
    sorry folks dont buy it here....jim goodman probally wishes he was a yes man at the time....he would have been employed still......and then we could be looking at him as GM right now.....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    I find it it extremely easy actually..

complicity [kəmˈplɪsɪtɪ]
    n pl -ties
    1. the fact or condition of being an accomplice, esp in a criminal act

and he if he could not stop them or deter or whatever - than IMO he is has no business being a GM of a multi-billion company.
    He wasn't a GM in any real sense. He was a contract/cap guy. I posted this back in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Well, now that's Klis from DP.com and Schwab from Spings Gazette that have said that McDaniels, like Shanahan, has final say on personnel issues. Xanders, like Sundquist did, has input, but the final say is McDaniels. "Autocratic power" kind of says it all.

For what it's worth, I'm not part of the school of thought that thinks it's wrong for the head coach to have significant, if not total, power. However, there is no sense in pretending that Xanders is simply getting input from McDaniels, with Xanders ultimately making the decisions, because there is no evidence that that is the case.
    The beat reporters were very clear in stating that McDaniels had the same type of power as Shanahan.

I have no idea if Xanders is capable of being a real NFL GM, but I'm not going to judge him by what McDaniels did. Their are three people to blame. McDaniels first and foremost, followed by the combo of Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen for giving a young, rookie ego-maniac full control of the team.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

He wasn't a GM in any real sense. He was a contract/cap guy. I posted this back in May.

The beat reporters were very clear in stating that McDaniels had the same type of power as Shanahan.

I have no idea if Xanders is capable of being a real NFL GM, but I'm not going to judge him by what McDaniels did. Their are three people to blame. McDaniels first and foremost, followed by the combo of Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen for giving a young, rookie ego-maniac full control of the team.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    sorry folks dont buy it here....jim goodman probally wishes he was a yes man at the time....he would have been employed still......and then we could be looking at him as GM right now.....
    My thoughts exactly. If you weren't a McFired "yes man" you were shown the door.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I don't disagree with the unloading of McDaniels. I don't believe the Broncos
    were given a choice. But I also believe it should start at the top (well, as
    close as possible - Mr. Bowlen is untouchable, of course). I know it can't be
    done during the season, but come the offseason, I personally would like to
    see Ellis and Xanders looking for jobs elsewhere . . .

JMO

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

I can't find it but I remeber reading that Xanders reported to Bowlen. could be wrong.
    so -- if what you say is true - and we are talking about a mulit-billion dollar company with BOD's, compliance people, HR, etc. would allow a strucuture for a 6 figure salary guy with a GM title to basically have no real roll but bean count and get McD a sandwich.. and if that's true -- then you are willing give the same guy a shot at the real deal.. I say no way...

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Our later round picks seem like the better of the bunch. Maybe Zanders was in charge of that.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

15. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    I can't find it but I remeber reading that Xanders reported to Bowlen. could be wrong.
    so -- if what you say is true - and we are talking about a mulit-billion dollar company with BOD's, compliance people, HR, etc. would allow a strucuture for a 6 figure salary guy with a GM title to basically have no real roll but bean count and get McD a sandwich.. and if that's true -- then you are willing give the same guy a shot at the real deal.. I say no way...
    It's the same structure Bowlen has had in Denver for a long time. He originally said he was going to have a real GM position, but clearly became infatuated with McDaniels and gave him Shanahan-type power when he fired the Goodmans.

It's the same structure Bowlen has had in Denver for a long time. He originally said he was going to have a real GM position, but clearly became infatuated with McDaniels and gave him Shanahan-type power when he fired the Goodmans.
    Was it Bowlen or Ellis that were infatuated with McDaniels. I remember Bowlen being very stern that no coach would have that kind of power again....then Ellis got McDaniels hired and all that Bowlen had said went out the window. I don't think Bowlen is senile, I don't think he's crazy. It sounds more like he's got a really bad football guy in his ear. Ellis is a moron when it comes to running an NFL franchise. Unfortunately, Bowlen has valued him far too highly.

Like Elevation said...until Ellis is gone, we're in for the same amount of bullshit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    My thoughts exactly. If you weren't a McFired "yes man" you were shown the door.
    this may sound sarcastic but It's not..

It would be real easy to wrap it up in a neat litlle bow, but it's not and cannot be this simple in a Organization id this size and structure.

Let me explain it this way -- Xanders for all acounts is well liked acoplished young executive with bright future and mid executive level postion - he was some how (another possible place of complicity) the benifactor of a promotion based on the Goodman's demise and an MCd's rocket ship. This was his ticket to the corner office..
    He wasn't a MCD yes man because he had to be to keep his job -- He was a McD yes man because McD got him his big break. Either way to me it does not matter.. I don't want this type of weakness in a GM.

19. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Was it Bowlen or Ellis that were infatuated with McDaniels. I remember Bowlen being very stern that no coach would have that kind of power again....then Ellis got McDaniels hired and all that Bowlen had said went out the window. I don't think Bowlen is senile, I don't think he's crazy. It sounds more like he's got a really bad football guy in his ear. Ellis is a moron when it comes to running an NFL franchise. Unfortunately, Bowlen has valued him far too highly.

Like Elevation said...until Ellis is gone, we're in for the same amount of bullshit.
    Let's remember, and I know I am a broken record in this regard, it wasn't Ellis that "got McDaniels hired" it was Bowlen. It was well reported that after the initial interview that Bowlen had with McDaniels that Bowlen decided he was the guy. Ellis, Xanders and the Goodmans (or maybe one of them) went back for a follow up interview and to finalize the deal, but McDaniels was the guy.

As to who gave McDaniels the power, clearly Bowlen was involved, because plenty of posters give McDaniels a pass on trading Cutler by pointing out that Bowlen said to do it -- not Ellis.

There is zero evidence that Ellis gave McDaniels the power.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    toad, i don't doubt that mcdaniels did in fact have final say-- but that doesn't do anything to make xanders more competent. . . he needs to take some blame too, not come out of this smelling like a rose. . . i'm fine with the guy being retained in his current bean keeper role-- i just don't want him handed the keys to the franchise, which is what they're greasing the skids for here. . .
    Yeah, that's what I think most of us are worried about, too. More lunatics running the damned asylum in Denver...

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

It's the same structure Bowlen has had in Denver for a long time.
    then by all means promote the weak ass yes man with no balls and no say into Captain Unicorn Pixie Dust Sprinkler - since GM really doesn't mean anything.
    Last edited by nevcraw; 12-19-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information