Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rookie fullback earns starting job

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Rookie fullback earns starting job

Nice little read on Peyton Hillis...

Sept. 3, 2008

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Broncos fullback Peyton Hillis' willingness to hit anything in his way has made him a favorite among Denver's tailbacks.

It's also earned the rookie a starting spot, a week after worrying about whether or not he'd even make the team.

"Everything's moving so fast," Hillis said. "I've got to adjust in a big hurry ... and I've already got adjusted to it. I've been through that point where I was calling my family, telling them how excited I was. Now, it's to the point where I have to get down to business."

One teammate who quickly became a believer in Hillis was tailback Andre Hall.

"I'm loving Hillis. He doesn't really care, he'll hit whoever. And he hits and he keeps driving," Hall said during camp. "Most guys hit and twist and turn their body. Hillis hits you right down the middle, he's going to continue to drive right through the play."

Hall said there's more to Hillis than his hard-hitting style, too.

"I won't lie. I think Hillis could fight for the best hands on the team," Hall said. "Offensive wise, or in the running back room, he's got it, I can't fight with him. I'm going to give him a run, but he's probably got the best hands out of the running backs."

He also has arguably the best scouting report on Raiders rookie running back Darren McFadden. After all, Hillis blocked for the two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up while they were at Arkansas.

So, what's the secret to stopping the 6-foot-2, 210-pound McFadden?

"You've got to hit him low and hit him hard," Hillis said. "He's a big, strong guy. He's a tough runner and the sooner you stop him the better it is for us."

Hillis got off to a slow start in training camp, falling behind the other candidates with an injured left hamstring.

So concerned were the Broncos about their depth at fullback, they switched Michael Pittman over from tailback and rookie Spencer Larsen from linebacker.

But Hillis proved to be a fast healer, quickly working his way back into the mix. He was elevated to the top of the depth chart after incumbent Cecil Sapp suffered a left quad injury in the preseason finale.

Hillis is eager to be the lead blocker on a team that relishes running the ball.

"It's big for me," he said. "I've waited my whole life for this point and I'm going to take full advantage of it."

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

What a steal! I have a feeling this guy is going to be an absolute pleasure to watch play.

3. The Following 8 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Im pumped about Hillis. Corn fed country boys just make ya wanna bust a chew.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I'm a huge proponent of having a blocking fullback so this is awesome.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

so did hillis win the starting job by default because of injury to sapp or did his play on the field out right win it????
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

hillis has got the magic stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    so did hillis win the starting job by default because of injury to sapp or did his play on the field out right win it????

I think they finally recognized that Sapp sucks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Sapp doesn't suck. He's just not our prototypical FB. He's more of a RB. I'm glad that we've got Hillis now, and hopefully he can stay healthy and be the FB that our team needs him to be. I love that he can CATCH as well as block, and he can run. He's definitely a triple threat when it comes to the backfield. Great steal by Shanny in the draft. It's nice to finally have an actualy BLOCKING FB.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Italianmobstr7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Orton's plasma

Just show us what we have been missing since Howard Griffith has left us. Not too many fullbacks in the NFL get much love (or a chance to even be a real fullback), but I think Shanahan is happy with our depth and ability in the backfield and will use this not just when BM is out of the Raiders game but a total, complete package this 08 season. If he can catch like he has shown, you know Mike dug out the old Fullback swing passes from those SuperBowl days.

14. The Following User High Fived BCJ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

Yeah, that catch he made against the Pack from like the 3 yard line was a swing pass. Caught the ball, HUNG ON TO IT, and got a first down that got us so much out of the hole we completed a 99 yd drive. The guy's build is what's impressive... he is just THICK. Kind of a throwback FB build, but he can also move. Like the guy, and very glad he's gonna start, from what I've seen of him so far. We're getting a really good yoot movement on this team, 3 rookie starters (4 if punters count), and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players.
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

I really think Hillis will be a huge addition to our offense. He is a bull like Allstot with the hands of a receiver not to mention the blocking abilties. I expect some early mistakes in the pass blocking schemes but even with that will be a HUGE upgrade over Sapp.

17. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I love Hillis!

But I've got to comment on this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton Hillis
    You've got to hit him low and hit him hard. He's a big, strong guy. He's a tough runner and the sooner you stop him the better it is for us.
    Um...I don't think that's a good sign... our linebackers aren't known for wrapping up.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I love Hillis!

But I've got to comment on this:

Um...I don't think that's a good sign... our linebackers aren't known for wrapping up.
    They looked 10 X better in the preseason..... Not saying much, but we are far better this year than last. We look so much faster side to side. And I am glad Abdulla isnt starting as well.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

I think Hillis has Pro-bowl ability...but he's a Rookie. He's going to makes some really nice plays this year...but he's also going to make some really stupid mistakes.

Down the road though...this kid is like Daryl Johston...BMarsh is like Michael Ivin and Jay Cutler is like Troy Aikman...all we're missing now is that elite RB in the mix.

Adopted Bronco:
    John Albert Elway: Champion Forever!

Scheffler = Novacek

Shanahan > Norv Turner

Eddie Royal > Anthony Harper ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by hamrob View Post
    I think Hillis has Pro-bowl ability...but he's a Rookie. He's going to makes some really nice plays this year...but he's also going to make some really stupid mistakes.

Down the road though...this kid is like Daryl Johston...BMarsh is like Michael Ivin and Jay Cutler is like Troy Aikman...all we're missing now is that elite RB in the mix.
    That's right b!+ches, the Denver BRONCOS are Back!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information