Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I phone 4

Default I phone 4

HAve been carrying a Black berry for a couple of years.

Have been thinking of moving to an I phone.

has any one got the 4 and what are your impressions.

I'm told that Verizon will be offering it after the new year.

Any pros or cons on the unit..

anyone else move to it from a blackberry.

Your web experience will be much better on the Iphone. You should also look at the Droid X, and whatever the Galaxy S Verizon variation is. The android phones are more flexible than Iphones, but a lot depends on what you want to do with the phone.

For instance, the Iphone doesn't have anyway to remind you of a missed call, voicemail or text message, where on the androids you can get an app that will beep every 5 minutes (Or whatever interval you set) until you have dismissed it, read SMS, etc.

Most of the modern phones have good and bad features, but you can't assume that a feature that you rely on with your Blackberry will be on the Iphone or vice versa.

3. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

A few days ago, I read some article that suggests not buying an iPhone4. The droids or others like it are the better option.
    This space available for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    A few days ago, I read some article that suggests not buying an iPhone4. The droids or others like it are the better option.
    Again, depends on your needs. For my wife, getting her an Iphone 4 was an easy choice, because it is a very good phone for a non techie / non power user. Very intuitive in terms of how you use it.

The new Windows PHone 7 is much the same. Not ideal for power users, people that want their phone to be a portable computer or highly customized, but great for someone that it fits out of the box.

The androids are not as polished, but much more flexible.

Blackberrys are great messaging phones (email/SMS), but so/so web phones. That's why they have been so dominant in the business world, but less so in the consumer world.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Lonestar, you seem to be a successful corporate wheeler dealer. I would maybe stay with the black berry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Blackberrys are great messaging phones (email/SMS), but so/so web phones. That's why they have been so dominant in the business world, but less so in the consumer world.
    This sums up the crackberry.
    This space available for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    This sums up the crackberry.
    I have a dingleberry.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

This just about sums up the Android v. iPhone discussion.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived UrbanBounca For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I have an iPhone for personal use and a Droid for work. Its honestly a push. Its nice to have a flash player on the Droid, but the apps, features, etc. are basically the same. I prefer the iPhone because my home computer is a Mac and naturally they work very well together.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way.

For me, the primary complaint I have with the Iphone is no repeating alarms. Unless something has changed recently, there is no app to accomplish this. If this server goes down, or there is a problem at work, I am alerted by SMS. However, the Iphone beeps once, and if you have the reminder option turned on, will remind you twice more. If you are out of the room, in a deep, deep sleep or whatever, and miss those three alerts, you will never know you have an SMS until you look at the screen.

It's those types of specific "what do you need from your phone" that I was talking about. In some cases, your specific needs can eliminate certain phones (for me Windows Phone 7 and Iphone are eliminated over a couple missing features).

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

For me, the primary complaint I have with the Iphone is no repeating alarms. Unless something has changed recently, there is no app to accomplish this. If this server goes down, or there is a problem at work, I am alerted by SMS. However, the Iphone beeps once, and if you have the reminder option turned on, will remind you twice more. If you are out of the room, in a deep, deep sleep or whatever, and miss those three alerts, you will never know you have an SMS until you look at the screen.

It's those types of specific "what do you need from your phone" that I was talking about. In some cases, your specific needs can eliminate certain phones (for me Windows Phone 7 and Iphone are eliminated over a couple missing features).
    Thats strange, never realized that. I have a 3GS Iphone and at work if I ignore a text it will beep again about every 2 minutes?

I looked it up, and it seems that with the 2.1 update as long as you get the SMS preview in the lock mode it will repeat the alert. Maybe if you set you phone to switch off to the lock screen that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Thats strange, never realized that. I have a 3GS Iphone and at work if I ignore a text it will beep again about every 2 minutes?

I looked it up, and it seems that with the 2.1 update as long as you get the SMS preview in the lock mode it will repeat the alert. Maybe if you set you phone to switch off to the lock screen that would help.
    Not sure what lock mode is, but I think maybe you mean if the SMS app was up when you locked the phone. If so, that is very possible, but for me, I fun various apps. So, if or instance I was looking at Twitter, put the phone down and walked away and an SMS came in (or missed call, or voicemail -- the big three for me), I want it to keep beeping every X minutes until I acknowledge the SMS, missed call or VM.

To the best of my knowledge, based on hands on, talking to all the guys at work with them, and posting on howardsforum, that isn't possible with the Iphone (or the new Windows Phone 7).

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Not sure what lock mode is, but I think maybe you mean if the SMS app was up when you locked the phone. If so, that is very possible, but for me, I fun various apps. So, if or instance I was looking at Twitter, put the phone down and walked away and an SMS came in (or missed call, or voicemail -- the big three for me), I want it to keep beeping every X minutes until I acknowledge the SMS, missed call or VM.

To the best of my knowledge, based on hands on, talking to all the guys at work with them, and posting on howardsforum, that isn't possible with the Iphone (or the new Windows Phone 7).
    Yeah, what it is is that when your phone is the "Slide to Unlock" mode and you get a Text, it will keep alerting you until you Unlock it. I have my phone set to lock immediately after I hit the top button so I get the repeat SMS text alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah, what it is is that when your phone is the "Slide to Unlock" mode and you get a Text, it will keep alerting you until you Unlock it. I have my phone set to lock immediately after I hit the top button so I get the repeat SMS text alerts.
    Which would work for my SMS at night. Am I correct, that while that would solve SMS alerts, you wouldn't get repeated alerts for missed calls and voicemails?

Apparently those of us worried about this are in the minority, since in the old days, repeating "reminders" were a standard feature on all phones, not so any more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Which would work for my SMS at night. Am I correct, that while that would solve SMS alerts, you wouldn't get repeated alerts for missed calls and voicemails?

Apparently those of us worried about this are in the minority, since in the old days, repeating "reminders" were a standard feature on all phones, not so any more.
    Yes, I do not believe it repeats for VMs or calls.

18. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information