Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun: who do you think will be surprise cuts this year?

Default Just for fun: who do you think will be surprise cuts this year?

Both for tomorrow, and the final cut down?

Proceed...

2. The Following User High Fived scott.475 For This Post:

Tom Nalen?
    I think that would be surprising.

Maybe Sheffler?
    Didn't see that one coming.

I don't know but it's a good question.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I'm not sure it is a surprise at this point, but if you had told me at the beginning of training camp that Abdullah would be cut, I would have been surprised. I think he's gone.
    "Uh.....UMM.....Uh......Lipstick......Uh......UMM. ......Pig........Uh......Well.....Uh.......
    -Another teleprompterless moment from the Chosen One

Adopted Bronco:
    Selvin Young

Ekuban

950TheFan was saying the other day that CB's were definately on the block. I'm sure Poole is gone, anyone else? Foxy has been terrible at allowing receptions, but decent on after catch tackles. Paymah has just been awful all around.

I know one for sure that will be gone....one of the punters...

Adopted Bronco:
    Selvin Young

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    950TheFan was saying the other day that CB's were definately on the block. I'm sure Poole is gone, anyone else? Foxy has been terrible at allowing receptions, but decent on after catch tackles. Paymah has just been awful all around.

I know one for sure that will be gone....one of the punters...
    Poole is history...........But Foxworth has played very well.............Good enough to start over Bly IMO..........And Paymah isn't going anywhere either.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived HolyDiver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDiver View Post
    Poole is history...........But Foxworth has played very well.............Good enough to start over Bly IMO..........And Paymah isn't going anywhere either.

yes!............yes,...........Not even close, fox wont be on blys level for a long time if ever,.....................i also agree here too. However, he could be gone to make room for jmfw (although he hasnt looked all that spectacular either.)
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I wonder if we will start shopping Bly around.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDiver View Post
    I love Foxy as a player, that aside, he doesn't know how to break up a play prior to it happening. He sits an waits for the play to happen and then tackles. I am under the impression that a natural part of being a cornerback is to break up plays and an instinct to make a play. Not allowing long passes to be caught. I just don't think Foxy has that instinct. I know he isn't going anywhere, but there is a lot to be desired in his play.

Paymah was terrible period.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

With Manuel's broken thumb and no Lynch, Abdullah's not gone. We don't have enough safeties lying around for that. Though I suppose we could go get Josh Gattis (isn't he the guy you liked a couple years ago, Coach?) who was just cut by the Bears. He's been cut twice in 2 years, but being cut by the Jags and the Bears doesn't make him worthless to us.

But then I think people know I don't like Hamza as a starter.

Scheff isn't gonna be cut. His position is so secure he didn't even have to play this pre-season. Now if he tears up his foot again this year and Nate Jackson stays healthy (about as likely as the sun rising in the west) then I could see Scheff being a debate next year.

My surprise cuts would be:

1) Nalen, as mentioned above. If he really CAN'T go, then having him take up a roster spot is hard. However, I think Lichtensteiger could be cut and shoved (hopefully) on the PS while Nalen takes up a roster spot this year, healthy or not. Hamilton's our backup center so Lick is down the depth chart, and I just don't see us flat out cutting Nalen. He might retire though, so he's still here as a surprise not to make the roster. I think his knee's worse than they're admitting.

2) Keary Colbert - If we start using Martinez again on punts to save Royal's strength, and Russell can get open and catch more passes, and have D-Jack and Royal and Marshall, then Keary's a bubble guy. I don't like him, but I think he probably squeezes onto the team. Still, a guy can hope.

3) Ekuban - first the Achilles, now his back. If he can't go, he's no good to us. Ebenezer might be out of here. I wish he'd stay, because I like his energy and leadership - and oh yeah, he doesn't suck - but if injury is gonna make him suck then he's gone.

4) Paymah - I think he has a real chance to get cut. He's been miserable in the pre-season. It's not necessarily his fault; he's stupid. It's hard for him to switch schemes. But it's HIS COACH that took over the reins of the defense and if he can't grasp it, he can't play for us. Foxy and JMFW have picked it up better and tackle better. Paymah wants to be a run-supporting safety who sucks in coverage apparently, which is a problem since he's a cornerback.

5) Green - I think it's him or Beck, and Beck is the same level of ST player with fewer injury concerns. I don't think we can sneak Woodyard onto the practice squad and he's also proven to be a great STer, so with LB spots needed for Woodyard, DJ, Boss, Webster, Kou and Winborn, as well as extra roster spots for other positions...one of Beck/Green has to go I think. I'm assuming Larsen gets cut and shoved on the PS here, but even if he doesn't I'd keep him over Green.

6) Alridge. I think we try to get him on the PS. In order to do that we have to cut him. It's gonna be an interesting numbers game this year.

7) Hackney. See Alridge.

PS guesses:

1) Alridge (love him, but I think the Broncos are gonna try to sneak him through. I wish they wouldn't, cuz I'd hate to lose him)
    2) Hackney (nobody else needs a 6-nothing backup with a good arm, right?)
    3) Lichtensteiger (if Nalen does not retire - Polumbus probably interests more people as a potential LT so Lick is an easier guy to keep around once we cut him)
    4) Larsen (great guy, terrific tackler, might get caught in a numbers crunch)

I'm not sure if I'd hate that or love it. Hate it because I want all those guys on the team, love it because at least they're still on our practice squad so they can come back to us in our time of need. I think we'd lose at least one and possibly more if we cut em, though - don't take the chance Shanny! All 4 of those guys could contribute to our next Super Bowl team!

Um...done rambling now...

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

13. The Following 6 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I know its not going to happen, but I wish it would, but Ramsey needs to go.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

In previous years, Shanny has cut some older veteran players on the first cutdown date. If that happens this year, then I'd guess it would be Ekuban. But I really don't see any surprise cuts happening tomorrow.

Other than Ekuban, my guess at "surprise" cuts would be Abdullah, Sapp, and Louis Green not making it to the final 53.

I would expect that at least one of our cuts will be playing for the Raiders this year.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Grover For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I love Foxy as a player, that aside, he doesn't know how to break up a play prior to it happening. He sits an waits for the play to happen and then tackles. I am under the impression that a natural part of being a cornerback is to break up plays and an instinct to make a play. Not allowing long passes to be caught. I just don't think Foxy has that instinct. I know he isn't going anywhere, but there is a lot to be desired in his play.

Paymah was terrible period.
    In the Hard Knocks episode last week, something really stuck out at me as being true about Foxworth.

One of the Dallas players (I think maybe TO), was talking to one of the young WR's who was lining up against Foxworth.

He said, "Right now he's not seeing the ball so just go right at him, and you can beat him to the ball." (or something closely resembling that statement.)

Watching Foxworth these past few weeks that seems pretty accurate. He's not really getting beat. . he seems to be in the middle of the play, but he's not seeing the ball. He has no chance to make a play on the ball or break-up the pass because he is spending all his concentration and energy just staying with his man.

He's got to learn to get his head around and see the ball too.

19. The Following 7 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    In the Hard Knocks episode last week, something really stuck out at me as being true about Foxworth.

One of the Dallas players (I think maybe TO), was talking to one of the young WR's who was lining up against Foxworth.

He said, "Right now he's not seeing the ball so just go right at him, and you can beat him to the ball." (or something closely resembling that statement.)

Watching Foxworth these past few weeks that seems pretty accurate. He's not really getting beat. . he seems to be in the middle of the play, but he's not seeing the ball. He has no chance to make a play on the ball or break-up the pass because he is spending all his concentration and energy just staying with his man.

To me he seems like the good athlete who keeps going to the next level because he is really smart, no the great athlete who can be taught how to play the game. I like Foxy, I just don't see him getting any better than he is today.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    To me he seems like the good athlete who keeps going to the next level because he is really smart, no the great athlete who can be taught how to play the game. I like Foxy, I just don't see him getting any better than he is today.
    Exactly! He's missing those CB instincts that guys like Champ and Bly have. The instinct to know where the ball is.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information