Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did it seem like Gruden was calling out McDaniels?

Default Did it seem like Gruden was calling out McDaniels?

Toward the end of the game, he made a scathing comment about Orton's stats being inflated because of garbage time.

But he also hammered the Broncos on their lack of balance. When he said this, Im sure I wasnt the only one that kind of read between the lines that he was sctunizing why Denver got rid of their old system.

For an offensive coach like McDaniels, this is a fairly substantial rebuke from another member of the coaching community. Give credit to Gruden for doing his job and setting fraternity affiliation aside.

2. The Following User High Fived Jake Klug For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

eh, who cares what he says?

4. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    eh, who cares what he says?
    Well, I can think of a lot of people who would take his word as gospel if he would have praised McDaniels.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Klug View Post
    Toward the end of the game, he made a scathing comment about Orton's stats being inflated because of garbage time.

But he also hammered the Broncos on their lack of balance. When he said this, Im sure I wasnt the only one that kind of read between the lines that he was sctunizing why Denver got rid of their old system.

For an offensive coach like McDaniels, this is a fairly substantial rebuke from another member of the coaching community. Give credit to Gruden for doing his job and setting fraternity affiliation aside.
    IMO, he's right. Time to bring in the young guys and see if they can play because if they can't McDaniels is toast. Now that I think about it, maybe there's a reason he's hesitant to play him.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    IMO, he's right. Time to bring in the young guys and see if they can play because if they can't McDaniels is toast. Now that I think about it, maybe there's a reason he's hesitant to play him.
    Another thing that I remembered after my original post is that, he was also talking about the AFC West and how the teams hate each other...like he was either waxing nostalic or he was wanting to be a part of it again...or both.

In other words, it kind of seemed like he may have let his guard down in, sort of, expressing that Denver is a place that he might be interested in...not that this is what he explicitly said or meant to say but...but maybe it was calculated?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jake Klug For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    i agreed with Gruden because McDaniels should of brought in the younger guys during the 4th!

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Manning

Talking

While I have never been much of a Norv turner fan, it was like he was saying to little mcnugget..."This is how its done in the big leagues BOY!" Maybe these veteran coaches (chucky included). Will keep taking him to task.maybe, just maybe it will give chucky the motovation to yank the reins away from our high school coach!
    Last edited by BroncoDiva87; 11-23-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: never attempt coherent thought before having your coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    i agreed with Gruden because McDaniels should of brought in the younger guys during the 4th!
    Its not Top of the Muffin TO YOU!

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Of course he was calling out McDaniels. What person with an ounce of football sense wasn't calling out McDaniels last night? Oh that's right, Tom Jackson on the pregame show was praising him... It would've been nice to hear what TJ had to say after the game.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Of course he was calling out McDaniels. What person with an ounce of football sense wasn't calling out McDaniels last night? Oh that's right, Tom Jackson on the pregame show was praising him... It would've been nice to hear what TJ had to say after the game.
    Yeah, true, but there might have even been a slip that Denver is a job Gruden would be interested in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Lol what? Orton's stats inflated by garbage time? Did he REALLY say that? The Broncos have only been in two games where there was significant garbage time(Baltimore, Oakland) so what the hell is he even talking about? The Broncos have been playing people close this year just like they did last year only this time things just aren't going in our favor.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Klug View Post

Gruden was spot on. I hope he is the one on the Denve sideline next season.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoStud For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

A lot of people are calling out Mcd. Add Grudens name to the list....

22. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Orton's stats are inflated because he throws the ball 50 times a game, not because of garbage time. Still, I know plenty of QBs in the league who are not capable of racking up those stats, so if we're gonna throw it everywhere at least our QB is capable of it. He's not the guy I would choose but there are plenty of worse choices...which is why if and when Tebow gets his number called we'll have plenty of suitors for Orton. Competency is worth something, even if it doesn't come in the red-zone or the 4th quarter.

But our rushing offense is an abortional misery, our defense can only get pressure when we do that thing that Josh hates - blitz - and because he hates it we won't stick with it, we still suck at play-calling and blocking and coordination, we make stupid decisions on the field and we play like next week might be more important than this week.

Our inverted sense of urgency really bugs me. This is the game I expected to see after last week, sadly. We can get up for one game. One time. But not for every game.

We'd better be able to get up for KC better than we did for SD. Gruden is right, the AFCW was a league of rivals hating each other, and the other guys seem to have the proper fury again. We showed well against KC when everything went our way. Time to see what happens in two weeks.

Any bets on whether that means we look past the Rams on the way, as is our wont?

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

24. The Following 7 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    Gruden was spot on. I hope he is the one on the Denve sideline next season.
    Heard it, and Gruden is absolutely right and everyone knows it.
    Theres no balance on the offense, and most of Ortons yards come from "garbage yards". Meaningless yards that the offense gives Orton underneath which he gladly takes.....until he gets sacked yet again.
    Then theres the other yards, where Bandon Lloyd makes circus catch after circus catch to keep the offense on the field much longer than it deserves.

I dont think Gruden meant garbage time, like late game yardage. But garbage yards. Inflating the QB's stats. Thats the MCD system. Fake yards that done mean anything.

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information