Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to next year...

Default Looking ahead to next year...

The current season has come undone, pretty much, but on the bright side the team looks to have some high draft picks this coming spring, and at least a couple of hot trade commodities.

Most of the other teams looking at drafting in the first half of the first round have QB issues. Denver has a surplus, and could get a good return on a Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn, as well as teams wanting to trade up in the draft to get a shot at one of the top QB prospects.

Assuming they draft top 10 in the first round, I think that McDaniels will be fielding plenty of offers for the pick, with teams such as Carolina, Minnesota, Cleveland, Seattle, Tennessee, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington, etc., all looking to draft a future QB. There seem to be 4 or 5 QBs who figure to go high in the draft. They could trade their first for a later first, a second, and maybe a first next year, depending on the team they deal with. As it sits, they look to have two other second round picks in the top half of the second round.

Things are falling into place for the team to capitalize on a situation during the off season.
    Last edited by Tned; 11-23-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Too much is up in the air right now including McDaniels tenure as head coach of the Broncos. This is way too hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Klug View Post
    Too much is up in the air right now including McDaniels tenure as head coach of the Broncos. This is way too hypothetical.
    I think that McDaniels "tenure" is the one thing you can count on for next season. Josh is going nowhere unless he gets caught in a cheap motel room abusing young boys. But you have to grant the market for QBs at the moment. Lots of them getting injured, lots getting old or ineffective.

The fact that Orton is currently one of the top QBs in the league and most Denver fans consider him expendable speaks volumes. Brady Quinn has value as well, despite his inactivity. Also, they are one of the few teams who figure to end up with a high first round pick who don't need to draft a QB. Along with St.Louis and Detroit, I suppose. Although Matt Stafford is injured so often I don't know if you could even count the Lions out.

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    I think that McDaniels "tenure" is the one thing you can count on for next season. Josh is going nowhere unless he gets caught in a cheap motel room abusing young boys. But you have to grant the market for QBs at the moment. Lots of them getting injured, lots getting old or ineffective.
    The fact that Orton is currently one of the top QBs in the league and most Denver fans consider him expendable speaks volumes. Brady Quinn has value as well, despite his inactivity. Also, they are one of the few teams who figure to end up with a high first round pick who don't need to draft a QB. Along with St.Louis and Detroit, I suppose. Although Matt Stafford is injured so often I don't know if you could even count the Lions out.
    I dont agree. These kinds of losses can only happen so many times.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived Jake Klug For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

I think that McDaniels "tenure" is the one thing you can count on for next season. Josh is going nowhere unless he gets caught in a cheap motel room abusing young boys.
    If Childress can be fired after nearly going to the Super Bowl followed by having a second season that is pretty much crap, then McDaniels having a mediocre year followed by an even worse year is very expendable.

7. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    If Childress can be fired after nearly going to the Super Bowl followed by having a second season that is pretty much crap, then McDaniels having a mediocre year followed by an even worse year is very expendable.
    The only reason Childress was fired was because he went behind ownerships back in the Moss debacle. Up until that point Wilf ademently supported Childress' transition from Favre until his next QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    The only reason Childress was fired was because he went behind ownerships back in the Moss debacle. Up until that point Wilf ademently supported Childress' transition from Favre until his next QB.
    Doesn't matter, the precedence has been set. Because even though the Moss debacle might have played a factor, Wilf never claimed that it was that it was the reason behind the ordeal. Childress and Philips are both fired after having previously good seasons only to become bottom feeders, whereas we are a mediocre team that have become likewise; tolerance was in their corners because of previously solid seasons, McDaniels does not even have that...and there comes a time when others usually have to follow a set precedence to save face.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Mcd chasing Nolan out of town makes sense now, he was the only interim head coach option on the team.

Denver just sucks we are the worst team in the leagues worst division. I hate what this team has become and where they are headed. I fear the Rams this week, how sad is that?

11. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Mcd chasing Nolan out of town makes sense now, he was the only interim head coach option on the team.

Denver just sucks we are the worst team in the leagues worst division. I hate what this team has become and where they are headed. I fear the Rams this week, how sad is that?
    Speaking of the Rams, I heard that there was a rumor that Bowlen and Kroenke would swap teams and Pat would move the Rams to LA while Kroenke would own the Broncos in Denver. It doesnt even seem remotely realistic though.

meh, Unless Bowlen comes to his senses and hires a real personnel guy it doesn't matter what Denver does with their pick(s) - there's a great chance they'll be wasted anyway.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

The current season has come undone, pretty much, but on the bright side the team looks to have some high draft picks this coming spring, and at least a couple of hot trade commodities.

Most of the other teams looking at drafting in the first half of the first round have QB issues. Denver has a surplus, and could get a good return on a Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn, as well as teams wanting to trade up in the draft to get a shot at one of the top QB prospects.
    It's not even clear that Orton would be a hot trade commodity, so I don't really see how we can label Quinn one.

Based on most accounts of what happened in the offseason, we traded a backup FB and two 6th round picks for Quinn, and he wasn't even capable of being real competition for the starting job, and lost out to a rookie for the backup job. Quinn has done nothing to his increase his value, so it's hard to imagine we get as much for him as we gave.

Orton is hard to peg. Yes, he has put up big numbers, but we don't know how GM's are going to look at those numbers. The result of a "system"? The result of a massively throw heavy offense because of having the worst running game in the league?

It's hard for me to believe anyone is going to give more than a mid round pick for Orton, and very possibly not that high.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Adamant support from the owner means little. In fact, its often the kiss of death.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

It isn't only the numbers with Orton. It is the fact that he hasn't won the big game. Takes a lot of sacks or makes mental mistakes when the game is on the line.
    I notice it, people on here notice it. I am sure NFL GMs notice it too. If the game is on the line pressure Orton and he will make a mistake.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    It's not even clear that Orton would be a hot trade commodity, so I don't really see how we can label Quinn one.

Based on most accounts of what happened in the offseason, we traded a backup FB and two 6th round picks for Quinn, and he wasn't even capable of being real competition for the starting job, and lost out to a rookie for the backup job. Quinn has done nothing to his increase his value, so it's hard to imagine we get as much for him as we gave.

Orton is hard to peg. Yes, he has put up big numbers, but we don't know how GM's are going to look at those numbers. The result of a "system"? The result of a massively throw heavy offense because of having the worst running game in the league?

It's hard for me to believe anyone is going to give more than a mid round pick for Orton, and very possibly not that high.
    Youre right that Orton is hard to peg. Im not sure that the main criticism against him is the system as much as its a lot of his numbers are kind of inflated from garbage time and also that he hasnt performed that well when he was needed to most.

But if theres a team out there that feels theyre one QB away, say some teams like the Vikings, Orton may be worth a lot more than a mid round pick.

I think the other teams where Orton is a candidate to be traded are teams where the coach is desperate to stabilize the QB situation. Orton did OK with learning this offense. So there are teams that dont see him as great but the best option available if they have little time to develop a QB they drafted or someone else.

But Kolb will be another QB out there that might knock down Ortons value a little. Still though, Orton has accomplished more than Kolb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Klug View Post
    Youre right that Orton is hard to peg. Im not sure that the main criticism against him is the system as much as its a lot of his numbers are kind of inflated from garbage time and also that he hasnt performed that well when he was needed to most.

But if theres a team out there that feels theyre one QB away, say some teams like the Vikings, Orton may be worth a lot more than a mid round pick.

I think the other teams where Orton is a candidate to be traded are teams where the coach is desperate to stabilize the QB situation. Orton did OK with learning this offense. So there are teams that dont see him as great but the best option available if they have little time to develop a QB they drafted or someone else.

But Kolb will be another QB out there that might knock down Ortons value a little. Still though, Orton has accomplished more than Kolb.
    Maybe if the GM of the other team can get the Broncos to include Lloyd as a package deal, since Lloyd's acrobatic throws are a BIG part of Ortons production this year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information