Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TheTampaTribune:He's Itching To Contribute

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default TheTampaTribune:He's Itching To Contribute

By BOB BELLONE
    Sep 19, 2007

DENVER - The doors to the Denver locker room swung open and a wave of reporters streamed into a sea of happy Broncos after Sunday's stirring 23-20 overtime victory against the hated Oakland Raiders.

Simeon Rice wasn't in the mood to hang around and celebrate with his new teammates, slipping past the media and into the hallway.

Before he disappeared through a stadium exit, the former Buccaneers defensive end was approached about his home debut in front of a roaring crowd at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"It wasn't too exciting," he said. "I didn't play that much, you know what I mean?"

The usually affable Rice immediately answered his own question.

"Nah, I came here to play. I'm healed up. I'm good," he said. "I'm going to start getting a little bit more in tune with things so I can dominate this game like I do. But it was cool, we won."

Rice, 33, has been working his way back from surgery to repair an injured left shoulder that sidelined him for the second half of last season. He finished with a career-low two sacks after averaging 13.5 in his first five years with the Bucs.

Rice was released by Tampa Bay after failing a club physical and refusing to restructure his contract July 26, the day he reported to training camp. He met with the New York Giants, Tennessee Titans and St. Louis Rams before signing a one-year contract with the Broncos on Sept. 3.

The 12th-year veteran joins a collection of fresh faces along the defensive front wall. In April, Denver spent three of its four draft picks to acquire linemen Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas of Florida and Tim Crowder of Texas.

Eager to lead the way, Rice is steamed about restrictions on his playing time that limited him to a solo tackle in a dramatic season-opening triumph at Buffalo and one assisted stop against Oakland.

Broncos safety John Lynch has heard his former Bucs teammate plead with coaches for a greater role.

"Knowing Simeon's competitiveness, he's not liking it," Lynch said, "but I think they're trying to be smart, too. When we get him going full speed, this football team is going to be better for it."

The crowning achievement for Rice during his stint with Tampa Bay was a pair of first-half sacks in a 48-21 dismantling of the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII. He ranks second behind Michael Strahan among active pass rushers with 121 career sacks.

Lynch, whose eight Pro Bowl selections include all three seasons since the Bucs released him, was asked if he thinks the Bucs erred again by prematurely cutting loose another defensive standout in Rice.

"No comment," he said, grinning. "I think that goes without saying."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGB2RYEBR6F.html

That attitude bothers me a bit. It seems like Simeon might be more interested in personal achievements rather than the good of the team. It's probably too early to judge him though, let's let this play out a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    That attitude bothers me a bit. It seems like Simeon might be more interested in personal achievements rather than the good of the team. It's probably too early to judge him though, let's let this play out a while.
    why would it bother you? he wants to make plays, he loves to sack people and he wants to contribute to the team. so why would wouldnt anyone want him to do that?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    why would it bother you? he wants to make plays, he loves to sack people and he wants to contribute to the team. so why would wouldnt anyone want him to do that?
    There is nothing wrong with thinking he should be starting. He has proven that he can. although he needs to do what is best for the team. I am on the fence about this one. part of me wanting to punch him in the dome. and the other half wanting to punch the D coach in the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by broncosinindy View Post
    There is nothing wrong with thinking he should be starting. He has proven that he can. although he needs to do what is best for the team. I am on the fence about this one. part of me wanting to punch him in the dome. and the other half wanting to punch the D coach in the dome.
    am i missing something? i dont get what was so wrong with what rice said. the dude competes at a high level and wasnt happy with his performance.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    am i missing something? i dont get what was so wrong with what rice said. the dude competes at a high level and wasnt happy with his performance.
    This is what bothers me:

"Simeon Rice wasn't in the mood to hang around and celebrate with his new teammates"

Come on!

This is what bothers me:

"Simeon Rice wasn't in the mood to hang around and celebrate with his new teammates"

Come on!
    exactly, he wasnt in the mood. he was pissed at the way he performed and remained in a bad mood. ever get in a really bad mood and choose not to go out with a girl or some friends because you dont want to look like a jerk or jackass? thats probably why he didnt celebrate with them. seems like you guys are reading too much into it.

All I know is Lynch lobbied hard for him to come here. If Rice had an attitude problem, I don't John would have done that.

The man just wants to play. I'll take that over "Big Bust" oops, I mean "Big Money" Warren, who quit competing once he got his big contract.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Look at it this way. The guy didnt produce the way he wanted and isnt allowing the team win to obscure that. He is holding himself individually accountable...or at least playing with a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes wins cover up too many flaws but with him, he is putting it on himself to be more productive to force more playing time. All in all, we had pretty good production from Moss and Dumervil so one more DE that produces is all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    All I know is Lynch lobbied hard for him to come here. If Rice had an attitude problem, I don't John would have done that.

The man just wants to play. I'll take that over "Big Bust" oops, I mean "Big Money" Warren, who quit competing once he got his big contract.
    i dont think we'll see any sort of additude from rice when he starts getting sacks. i think he just wants more playing time. we finally seem to have a solid rotation of pass rushers now and maybe next week we'll start seeing more than 15-20 snaps out of rice.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'm ready for him to start getting sacks.

yeah there is nothing wrong with this, when a player draws attention to himself for something unrelated to football and or his play (cough TO cough) then they become a problem

rice wants to contribute what he knows he is capable of and the is definately more than 1 tackle a game, i really think engleberger should be 2nd string, or even 3rd, i give the man props for being good on the run but that is not what we need, we need a physical defensive end with good speed to contain the edges and get immediate pressure on the QB, i think Rice and wither elvis or Moss could do this more effectively than engleberger

too many time he was beat around his edge by the qb (even though he was held a good portion of the game) he needs to be able to get out of the OL grasps at some point
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

If he does have an attitude, this defense needs it. I don't see it as me me me, I see it as wanting to compete.

Like someone else said, John Lynch endorsed him.......I would take his word for it when it comes to endorsements. Just my opinion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    yeah there is nothing wrong with this, when a player draws attention to himself for something unrelated to football and or his play (cough TO cough) then they become a problem

rice wants to contribute what he knows he is capable of and the is definately more than 1 tackle a game, i really think engleberger should be 2nd string, or even 3rd, i give the man props for being good on the run but that is not what we need, we need a physical defensive end with good speed to contain the edges and get immediate pressure on the QB, i think Rice and wither elvis or Moss could do this more effectively than engleberger

too many time he was beat around his edge by the qb (even though he was held a good portion of the game) he needs to be able to get out of the OL grasps at some point

I think Bates just wants/wanted him to get acclaimated since he missed all of camp and preseason. Rice wasn't brought in here to be a situational player.

I know this probably is nothing, and I said that in my first post. However, what does it say to the rest of the team when one player chooses not to celebrate with the other 52 because he's mad about his playing time?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information