Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Godzilla Returns

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

I just saw the trailer yesterday...looks pretty good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Can't wait!!!
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Been reading some early reviews, and it sounds like they are treating Godzilla like they should. Godzilla was always an allegory for the atomic bomb and WWII. He was an unstoppable force and the terrifying thing was that the best military weapons didn't phase him. You can read about how his creators (both WWII vets) compared him to the allied attacks on Japan. They likened him to a force that was neither good or bad, and he was only the lesser of two evils when compared to the other monsters who seemed to attack without meaning which would make Godzilla fight them. I just hope they treat the humans in this movie like witnesses to Godzilla without affecting him too much. Here is the best tidbit I've heard from the reviews so far:

I ended up talking with producer Thomas Tull and while I was thanking him for helping me out with the tickets a Japanese man came up and Tull immediately looked nervous. “So, what did you think?” The man answered that he and his colleagues were amazed with the movie and couldn't believe how perfectly Godzilla was captured. “This is the Godzilla from my childhood.” He said this with a hand over his heart, I swear to God. Tull looked taken aback, both relieved and amazed at the same time. After the man left, Tull leaned over to me and said, “He's the head of Toho.”
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67271

I just want it to be better than Pacific Rim. I never thought I'd get sick of big robots fighting monsters halfway through a movie. It was just too much while not being enough, if that makes sense.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Been reading some early reviews, and it sounds like they are treating Godzilla like they should. Godzilla was always an allegory for the atomic bomb and WWII. He was an unstoppable force and the terrifying thing was that the best military weapons didn't phase him. You can read about how his creators (both WWII vets) compared him to the allied attacks on Japan. They likened him to a force that was neither good or bad, and he was only the lesser of two evils when compared to the other monsters who seemed to attack without meaning which would make Godzilla fight them. I just hope they treat the humans in this movie like witnesses to Godzilla without affecting him too much. Here is the best tidbit I've heard from the reviews so far:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67271

I just want it to be better than Pacific Rim. I never thought I'd get sick of big robots fighting monsters halfway through a movie. It was just too much while not being enough, if that makes sense.
    Havent seen it yet obviously but i can tell just by the trailer it will destroy Pacific Rim. PR had some good ideas but overall failed to execute it properly. If there was any "large" monster movie in past few years that has given me a feeling of being well done it would of been Reign of Fire which i think is severely underrated.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Reviews so far have been very good, I'll see it next week.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

14. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Same here unless i decide to go see it without my wife. But then i might lose my balls if i do that.... lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Gonna see it Sunday with my dad. I'll review with as little spoilers as possible.

17. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I have a friend who is from Germany who has seen it and he wasnt impressed. But then again, his taste in movies compared to mine are vastly different. Other reports are that its pretty good so we shall see.

19. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I have a friend who is from Germany who has seen it and he wasnt impressed. But then again, his taste in movies compared to mine are vastly different. Other reports are that its pretty good so we shall see.
    Sounds like they are taking a "classic" Godzilla approach from the reviews I have read, with a slow buildup of the monsters and then a free for all havoc wreaking third act. I've read that ADHD types will fidget in their seats because of dumb things like "character development".

Seriously though I like that approach if its true and also if its handled well. Stephen King said once you see the monster you allow the audience to cope with it, the buildup is where the tension comes from. Look at a movie like Jaws, for example. Great buildup and good payoff.

The biggest problem with Pacific Rim was that it was all payoff and no substance. I didn't care who died, or how many cities were destroyed, and I still couldn't believe that I was bored with monsters fighting robots halfway through the movie.

21. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Sounds like they are taking a "classic" Godzilla approach from the reviews I have read, with a slow buildup of the monsters and then a free for all havoc wreaking third act. I've read that ADHD types will fidget in their seats because of dumb things like "character development".

Seriously though I like that approach if its true and also if its handled well. Stephen King said once you see the monster you allow the audience to cope with it, the buildup is where the tension comes from. Look at a movie like Jaws, for example. Great buildup and good payoff.

The biggest problem with Pacific Rim was that it was all payoff and no substance. I didn't care who died, or how many cities were destroyed, and I still couldn't believe that I was bored with monsters fighting robots halfway through the movie.
    Agreed on all accounts.

Good writeup on the movie, touched on some things you spoke of Shake.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features
    Last edited by Northman; 05-16-2014 at 11:29 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Agreed on all accounts.

Good writeup on the movie, touched on some things you spoke of Shake.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features
    It sounds like the director (who also did a great low budget flick called Monsters as mentioned in the article) has a reverence for the source material without needing to beat you over the head with it. That is EXACTLY what Peter Jackson did with King Kong in his remake and continues to do in my opinion with the new movies he is working on that shall not be named because Buff will get all pissy.

Whether I like the film will be found out soon enough! Can't wait.

25. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I just came across this about the previous Godzilla. Its just too funny to not watch.

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information