Thread: BEWARE - $100 Netbook

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default BEWARE - $100 Netbook

Some retailers like Kmart, CVS, Walgreen's and Rite Aid have got a jump on the holiday shopping season. Many are offering a 7'' netbook for $100 from various manufacturers. Sylvania seems to be the main brand I've seen.

Here's a look-

http://digitalgadgets.com/netbooks/netbooks.htm

They're loaded with Windows CE, which is a mobile version of W and basically a stripped-down version of W98.

However, it is pretty much a mobile internet device that most people already have on their cell phones and it can't compete with Blackberrys or Iphones. It has limited memory and storage, so even the most basic apps can't be run. Many sites can't even be accessed.

Sure it's light, compact and has Wifi, but it's uses are limited by it's lack of... anything.

It can have some uses, but will never function as even the most basic entry-level laptop or real netbook with WXP or Vista. Perhaps just as a 2nd or 3rd computer to read emails on the go. That's all.

You've been warned!
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

But that may be what somebody wants or all they can afford. Many cell phones are more expensive than $100 and a lot of people don't have one that does all that an IPhone or Droid does.

But buyers should understand that you're getting what you pay for and a $100 computer is going to lack some things that other computers can do better. I bought a $340 notebook back in March that I'm extremely happy with. It has plenty of storage, plenty or processor, wi-fi, lightweight, Windows 7, rechargable battery that lasts 2-1/2 to 3 hours and numerous ports to attach all sorts of extras.

I understand exactly what I want from it and it does all that I need. It's not a phone but I already have a phone.

Yes, there are going to be some folks who will be fooled into thinking they are getting the same thing I got for $100 but there are also people that are going to get that as a first computer for young people or as something portable to attach back to a desktop when they get home.

It's all a matter of price/need/function and you shouldn't judge a product simply because it doesn't meet your needs. Some others may find it perfect for theirs.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

My point is that it is misleading. They say it has Windows CE but most people don't know what WCE is or capable of. Of course it has uses. It's deceptive. People will think they're getting a full-featured laptop/netbook when in reality it can't do a fraction of what a notebook from nearly 10 years ago can do.

For just a little more you can get a used one or a remanufactured one with far more capability.

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    My point is that it is misleading. They say it has Windows CE but most people don't know what WCE is or capable of. Of course it has uses. It's deceptive. People will think they're getting a full-featured laptop/netbook when in reality it can't do a fraction of what a notebook from nearly 10 years ago can do.

For just a little more you can get a used one or a remanufactured one with far more capability.
    Agreed, the $100 netbook is junk. It immediately tells you to 'update' program CE as it's obsolete, but then there's nothing you can actually update to....it's gathering dust on my shelf.
    It also takes way too long to load up and we are just talking about loading without internet. Anything on the netbook you try to load that's preinstalled is ridiculously slow that you just give up!
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Wait you have one?

Explain it's functionality.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Windows CE is Windows Crap Edition.

It was never worth using and is really old now.

EDIT:

I just checked. They are still actully authoring this.
    Last edited by Day1BroncoFan; 11-04-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    Merry.

8. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wait you have one?

Explain it's functionality.
    Unfortunately...you were suppose to be able to use the internet, emails, word processing, ect...was suppose to be convenient, like if you are watching football in the den and want to check stats on players or whatever, you could remotely with this netbook(quick/easy)and not miss any of the game...not !!! (PC is in office, far away from a televisioin).
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

It does have Wifi and limited internet access though... I think.

Any site with a lof of pics would probably freeze it up and you'd be directed to the mobile version of whatever site you're looking to navigate.

I dont know, this is my assumptions from all the features Ive read. Other than email and facebook it's useless.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

They do this with HD tvs (the doorbuster specials)...the tvs are junk.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information