Thread: A question for the web design gurus

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Default A question for the web design gurus

It's group project time again, and this go round, we are creating a new website for a local non-profit who runs study abroad classes in India (among MANY other things). One of the things they've requested for the site is a "virtual tour" of a typical trip. My idea on how to accomplish this is to mark out the trip on a map, then make it interactive, so that when you mouse over and/or click different spots, you get information (and a ton of pictures) about that particular part of the journey.

Problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish such a thing, or where to start.

Details: The web server we're running on is Linux-based, running Apache (unsure what version), and the non-profit desperately needs a content management system as they are too tech-deficient to update code themselves and too poor to pay for it. My group is leaning towards using Drupal or WordPress as both are readily available for install from our hosting company.

My programming experience is heavy on data driven application development, with just enough HTML and CSS to get by and for all practical purposes, I've got no graphics experience at all. And I'm the only one in my team with any technical experience whatsoever, so this is all on me. So, my fellow forumers, what should I use to make this sort of thing? Any advice, hints, suggestions, declarations are welcome.

Thanks guys! Y'all are the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

To help with your mapping issues, look at the google maps api:

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/index.html

This should give you the libraries that you would need to embed a google map on your page with the interaction that you desire. I haven't used this myself, but I've had several friends who have with good results.

I am not familiar enough with Drupal to really comment, and I thought Wordpress was centered around blogging. It looks like you would be fine with Drupal with your server if Apache, MySql and php are all up to date.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    To help with your mapping issues, look at the google maps api:

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/index.html

This should give you the libraries that you would need to embed a google map on your page with the interaction that you desire. I haven't used this myself, but I've had several friends who have with good results.

I am not familiar enough with Drupal to really comment, and I thought Wordpress was centered around blogging. It looks like you would be fine with Drupal with your server if Apache, MySql and php are all up to date.
    That was gonna be my suggestion, too. Building something like that from the ground up would take a much bigger team and a lot more time!

5. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

WordPress started as a blog program but can be used as a content management system now pretty easily. It's easier to use than Drupal.

I'll check this out tomorrow and hopefully....I can make it work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    WordPress started as a blog program but can be used as a content management system now pretty easily. It's easier to use than Drupal.

I'll check this out tomorrow and hopefully....I can make it work!
    Yeah, wordpress.org. I've made a few sites for clients using them. The best part is the databases are built in, and they have tons of add ons you can use. Great open source community, too.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information