Page 973 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 473 873 923 963 971 972 973 974 975 983 1023 1073 ... LastLast
Results 14,581 to 14,595 of 17170

Thread: what are you listening to???

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Jimmy Page: Fine guitarist, among the goats. In terms of technical skills, better than Prince. But Prince's style, originality, and showmanship blow him out of the water.

Prince's version of the song? Not my favorite. His guitar skills on the song? Superb.
    In all seriousness, you have this absolutely backward. Jimmy Page’s electric work was sometimes sloppy. He did shine on acoustic, especially in traditional styles. Prince was a technical wizard he just didn’t show it very often.

That said. Jimmy Page, e’ryday, all day over Prince.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    In all seriousness, you have this absolutely backward. Jimmy Page’s electric work was sometimes sloppy. He did shine on acoustic, especially in traditional styles. Prince was a technical wizard he just didn’t show it very often.

You know, I think there is actually something of a contest here. It would be hard to arbitrate because they are in different millieu. It's like asking a reggae person what they think of Marley version of a folk ballad, or a bluegrass/chazzy type person what they think of Murder by Death doing a Marley cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    You know, I think there is actually something of a contest here. It would be hard to arbitrate because they are in different millieu. It's like asking a reggae person what they think of Marley version of a folk ballad, or a bluegrass/chazzy type person what they think of Murder by Death doing a Marley cover.
    Prince could shred. He chose not to.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Prince could shred. He chose not to.
    Right, and that's fine. But shred is not all that a musician can do.

What I'm saying is that if we want to be conclusive on this matter, let's do it right. Let's set the rules and adjudicate the affair properly so the outcome can never be revisited.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

After my research: I'm too tired for this. They both were great guitarists. I prefer Prince's style and swagger. I prefer Jimmy's killer riffs. Since Prince is a better musician, I will allow Jimmy to be known as the better guitarist.

But call me when Jimmy Page starts playing badass solos while running around the stage in high heels.

8. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Yeah, I just watched a couple of Page vids on youtube...very sloppy. It's been a while and I'm quite underwhelmed.

Prince's solos....they make me feel things.

10. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

What I'm saying is that if we want to be conclusive on this matter, let's do it right. Let's set the rules and adjudicate the affair properly so the outcome can never be revisited.
    No. I’m aware. Abe was talking about guitar skills, so that’s what I was responding to. I think it’s quite clear Prince was a better songwriter, for example.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

No. I’m aware. Abe was talking about guitar skills, so that’s what I was responding to. I think it’s quite clear Prince was a better songwriter, for example.
    I'm also not sure how high heels contributes to a musical experience.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Well, neither do I, but I am in a decent mood and I was trying to give Abe his Prince glory because I called him a midget Stevie Wonder wannabe the other day.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Well, neither do I, but I am in a decent mood and I was trying to give Abe his Prince glory because I called him a midget Stevie Wonder wannabe the other day.
    Prince was the first musician in my lifetime that was totally my own--I found him, I loved him, all that. I moved on and actually distanced myself dramatically from Prince from about '90 on. But a little while ago I've come to appreciate him more, especially the songwriting. I'm giving him the proverbial fair shake. He actually is 'all that'.

I'm can't recall the genesis of this friction. Abe said 'Page take a bow' and BF said 'not so fast'. Prince's performance was ... well, that's *a performer*. I might like Zep doing Zep's music better.

Well, that's a lot of words to not really move the discussion forward more than an inch or so.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Prince was the first musician in my lifetime that was totally my own--I found him, I loved him, all that. I moved on and actually distanced myself dramatically from Prince from about '90 on. But a little while ago I've come to appreciate him more, especially the songwriting. I'm giving him the proverbial fair shake. He actually is 'all that'.

I'm can't recall the genesis of this friction. Abe said 'Page take a bow' and BF said 'not so fast'. Prince's performance was ... well, that's *a performer*. I might like Zep doing Zep's music better.

Well, that's a lot of words to not really move the discussion forward more than an inch or so.
    I took to blues rock more as a teenager when I found Zeppelin and Clapton. I grew up on John Denver and Rubber-Soul-Revolver era Beatles (like the middle Beatles). I found rap in middle school and then rock early in high school with Bush and Stone Temple Pilots. But, like maybe you with Prince, it was Zeppelin and Cream that was the real eye opener for me.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

This is what I'm also saying. It's hard to compare. And what are the criteria at play here? There's plenty of amazingly talented guitarists who can shred their brains out, but when they play I'm like "ok who gives a **** this is boring." So surely there is an element of showmanship that needs to be accounted for.

My more honest and potentially hot take is that Prince could play anything Jimmy Page could play, with better everything else that makes guitarists great.

I submit my case with 3 videos:

I honestly still just can't believe Prince went up on that R&R HOF stage and kicked that much ass. Did people think he was a good guitarist before that? I'm too young, IDK.

20. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Your sacrifice is appreciated.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I think just in terms of being able to play the guitar that well while running around like a lunatic putting on a show, it's pretty impressive. I've not seen enough old Led Zep clips to see how much movement and showmanship was involved while Page was up there kicking ass.

I think my comment was more of a "Prince, based on his swagger on stage and his skills, is putting himself above JP."

Maybe he wouldn't have put himself above JP. But on stage and when performing and embodying that persona, he believes it. I think there's few people with that sort of quality. Like "I don't know if I really am the best guitarist and performer in the world, but I'm gonna go out there and act like it anyway."

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Alright. This got real. Found this quote:

“Jimmy Page was cool, but he couldn't keep a sequence without John Bonham behind him.” - Prince

Shots fired. Now we have to settle this.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information