Page 886 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 386 786 836 876 884 885 886 887 888 896 936 986 ... LastLast
Results 13,276 to 13,290 of 17168

Thread: what are you listening to???

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Day 15 - Cover song

This is easy.

Bonus footage:

3. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Cover that I like better than the original--Talking Heads Take Me to The River.

I love Al Green's original, but what Bryne did speaks to me even more. Runner up is All Along the Watchtower, which I think is more of a 'better cover'. He took Dylan's song into orbit; Bryne just tilted the axis of rotation a bit.

I also like this one a lot and you might like it if you enjoy punk:

And if you enjoy Peter Murphy, I do, you can't leave this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Day 16 - Classic Favorite

I don't even know what that really means. So here's a classic.

7. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Day 17 - Duet you'd karaoke with someone

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Day 18 - Song from the year you were born - 1992

I didn't realize this was a 90s song.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Day umpteen, bumpteen, and sumpteen.

Classic favorite I like: you might be surprised, but I love DJ Rob Bass & MC EZ Rock's It Takes Two like nothing you can imagine. Maybe you aren't surprised. Probably not. Nothing about me probably surprises you any more.

Karaoke duet: Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man

Song from '75: Tough to pick between Wish You Were Here and Lyin' Eyes. When in doubt, go Floyd.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Day 19 (?) - song that makes you think about life

That Barbie song ('come on barbie, let's go party') is fairly profound. Allegorical, really.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Day 19 - Song that makes you think about life.

Always found Wild Horses to have a real nostalgic vibe. Going with the Gram Parsons version on the anniversary of his death.

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I like The Sundays version of that song.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Day 20 - Song that has many meanings to you.

I dunno about the plural, but here's a song that has a lot of meaning to me. It's about two dudes who dream of being a successful death metal band, until one of the dudes gets sent off to a facility as a punishment for wanting to start a death metal band. Being a teacher of weird awkward teenagers who are trying to become comfortable with who they are gives it even more meaning than it had years ago.

"When you punish a person for dreaming his dream
    don't expect him to thank or forgive you
    the best ever death metal band out of Denton
    will in time both outpace and outlive you"

"Obviously — or I'd think obviously — the work I used to do in psych hospitals and residential treatment homes is what informs this song. People ask me sometimes if Jeff or Cyrus are based on anybody, and of course the answer's "no," but only because of course they're dozens of guys. I knew a dude in high school whose girlfriend didn't know he'd been locked up until he'd already been gone for half a day: by the time she found out, he was in Utah, not to emerge for, I think, a year or two. To take somebody's adolescence away is to deny that person some of the closest looks at God's face that we ever get on this planet; I try not to hate the parents who, as misguided as confused, take young men and women away from their friends and their lives to send them away. But it's hard. I try not to excuse the destructive things adolescents sometimes do to express their pain, but in my gut, well, I cast my lot with the teenagers. They may do wrong sometimes, but their hearts aren't rotten yet, and the light is strong within them."

"This is a song about hope in your life. There is a magnificent Mark Eitzel song title, 'It Is Important Throughout Your Life to Proclaim Your Joy.' It is also important to admit, on occasion, to the righteousness of your fury: The justness of your cause in the face of those who would do you wrong, and who would rob you of your youth, and who would ignore what's good and beautiful in you."
    My favorite live version: https://youtu.be/t1T1RNgRcoE?t=1m19s

18. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I just read a book by Darnielle, Universal Harvester. He's a poet.

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Day 20 - The song of many meanings.

Day in the Life

A listen explains.

22. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Day 20 - Ambiguity bonus!

Song that has meant different things through time - Beach Boys 'Wouldn't it be Nice?'

When I was young it seemed peachy and optimistic, everything above zero, trending upward. But then later in life it seemed impossibly sad.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Day 20 - TRIPLE BONUS!!!

Song that overloads/overdoses on meaning, but that's OK. - Mars Volta Roulette Dares

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information