Page 742 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 242 642 692 732 740 741 742 743 744 752 792 842 ... LastLast
Results 11,116 to 11,130 of 17171

Thread: what are you listening to???

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    I felt like I was staying pretty current with the band but did not know this was out.

Was kinda mixed on hearing Nicole was out of the band--she was solid on Oceania and live. Byrne I couldn't have cared less about like most SP fans -- but Tommy Lee?

Will try to see if I can work and listen to this over the next few hrs.
    They have the whole album as a playlist on Youtube. And yeah, I will miss Nicole but she is too busy with The Cold and The Lovely. Tommy Lee is a definite upgrade over Byrne. The touring group right now for a few small shows is Corgan, Jeff Schroeder, and Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk and Killers bassist Mark Stoermer.

Giving it a listen, sounds like some well crafted songs but unsure there's much super-memorable. Billy has typically put down more intricate guitar on his albums than what I'm hearing here as well.

Tommy Lee sounds decent I guess. Nothing mind-blowing but this is probably the best thing he's ever recorded by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

3. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Giving it a listen, sounds like some well crafted songs but unsure there's much super-memorable. Billy has typically put down more intricate guitar on his albums than what I'm hearing here as well.

Tommy Lee sounds decent I guess. Nothing mind-blowing but this is probably the best thing he's ever recorded by default.
    Took me a few listens but it grew on me aside from a few songs. Reminds me of Gish-era stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Took me a few listens but it grew on me aside from a few songs. Reminds me of Gish-era stuff.
    Actually after a few listens I'm kinda going farther the other way on it. The almost total lack of guitar heroics and uncharacteristically straightforward drumming on the album kinda wears thin and samey after the first few tracks. It's not awful but think it's boring for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

6. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Thoughts on Monuments:

First, I badly want another Mellon Collie. That's the album that defined my musical tastes as a teenager...so I'm always searching for something nostalgic with Pumpkins (1979 was nostalgic the first time I heard it, a classic and my favorite all time song).

Tiberius is basically the same song that we've been hearing since Machina. There was no change in feel at all, so it's an interesting opener.

Being Beige and Anaise! however, were a distinct change. Earlier I opined about the more melodic Pumpkins and this is it. Just three songs in I can tell you this is his best song writing since Adore.

But, One and All is back to that same feel of Machina. I just feel like Corgan's hard rockers are so stale since Adore. Droning guitar, droning vocals.

Run2Me is different...as I hear it though this might be my favorite song so far. Again, this album sounds similar to Adore, but Run2Me has a Mellon Collie feel.

Corgan's not relying on wall of sound, distorted guitars: Clean tone guitar in Drum + Fife. Title track is forgettable. Dorian is an interesting tune, but alright.

It's interesting that he brought on Tommy Lee, because half the album sounds like the computer-generated drum track out of 1979 and the entire Adore album.

Wow, Anti-Hero is good. Started off like XYZ, but there's a melodic feel to it in parts. Great song.

By far, my favorite album since Adore.

I'll be listening to this more.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Actually after a few listens I'm kinda going farther the other way on it. The almost total lack of guitar heroics and uncharacteristically straightforward drumming on the album kinda wears thin and samey after the first few tracks. It's not awful but think it's boring for them.
    His guitars have fallen off a bit as far as intensity but I do how like how he layers them on some of the tracks. Agreed on the drumming. I think his last true guitar hero-esque album was Machina (Heavy Metal Machine is a great example, especially when you hear it live) and a little bit on Zeitgeist. I think part 2 of the album called Day for Night which comes out soon is supposed to be the more "Rock and Roll" one. He said in Rolling Stone recently about the albums, "For those interested in sound, think: 'guitars, guitars, guitars, and more guitars,'" Corgan wrote, "but more so on the epic side of things than, say, grossly metallic."

As far as his recent work, this is my favorite of his guitar work on a single track. Just a simple and driving chord structure with an effective hook:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

By far, my favorite album since Adore.

I'll be listening to this more.
    Interesting that you bring up Adore. I remember being very confused by that album in 1998, especially after Mellon Collie. Now it is one of my favorite albums period. This past year they did the re-releases of both Mellon Collie and Adore which I strongly recommend you checking out if you haven't already. Each one has a bunch of demos and previously unreleased tracks. The 1979 instrumental version is amazing.

EDIT: One more free (legal) download if anyone wants it. The first three Volumes of the Teargarden by Kaledioscope album are here for free (Volume IV was Oceania, Volume V is Monuments to an Elegy): http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/d...?discog_id=247
    Last edited by MasterShake; 12-11-2014 at 10:36 AM.

10. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

For some of you prog fans, if you can get around the rough vocals this is a very great track with some interesting riffs and playing.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

16. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Good call Abe! Hadn't heard that one in a long time. The Joy Division part of New Order comes out in that song.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

No doubt. I like the Joy Division version of the song as well

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    No doubt. I like the Joy Division version of the song as well

Did you ever see Control? Pretty cool film.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Interesting that you bring up Adore. I remember being very confused by that album in 1998, especially after Mellon Collie. Now it is one of my favorite albums period. This past year they did the re-releases of both Mellon Collie and Adore which I strongly recommend you checking out if you haven't already. Each one has a bunch of demos and previously unreleased tracks. The 1979 instrumental version is amazing.

EDIT: One more free (legal) download if anyone wants it. The first three Volumes of the Teargarden by Kaledioscope album are here for free (Volume IV was Oceania, Volume V is Monuments to an Elegy): http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/d...?discog_id=247
    It's time for me to own Mellon Collie digitally and I'm sure I'll love the B sides and alternate takes. I own the original Pumpkins singles set they released after Mellon Collie went platinum. There's some excellent songs on that, including Corgan's take on Landslide.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Did you ever see Control? Pretty cool film.
    Is it about Joy Division? I'm gonna have to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Is it about Joy Division? I'm gonna have to look it up.
    Yes. You should check it out.

23. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information