Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Actor and comedian Bernie Mac dies at age 50

Default Actor and comedian Bernie Mac dies at age 50

HICAGO - Bernie Mac, the Emmy and Golden Globe nominated actor and comedian who worked his way to Hollywood success from an impoverished upbringing on Chicago’s South Side, died Saturday at age 50.

“Actor/comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital,” his publicist, Danica Smith, said in a statement from Los Angeles.

She said no other details were available and asked that his family’s privacy be respected.

The comedian suffered from sarcoidosis, an inflammatory lung disease that produces tiny lumps of cells in the body’s organs, but had said the condition went into remission in 2005. He recently was hospitalized and treated for pneumonia, which his publicist said was not related to the disease.

Recently, Mac’s brand of comedy caught him flack when he was heckled during a surprise appearance at a July fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate and fellow Chicagoan Barack Obama.

Toward the end of a 10-minute standup routine, Mac joked about menopause, sexual infidelity and promiscuity, and used occasional crude language. The performance earned him a rebuke from Obama’s campaign.

Always a performer
    But despite controversy or difficulties, in his words, Mac was always a performer.

“Wherever I am, I have to play,” he said in 2002. “I have to put on a good show.”

Mac started his comedy career at age 8, with a standup performance at a church dinner. In 1977, at age 20, he took that act to comedy clubs in Chicago.

His film career started with a small role as a club doorman in the Damon Wayans movie “Mo’ Money” in 1992. Mac went on to star in the “Ocean’s Eleven” franchise with Brad Pitt and George Clooney and his turn with Ashton Kutcher in 2005’s “Guess Who?” — a remake of the Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn 1967 classic “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?” — topped the box office.

Mac also had starring roles in “Bad Santa,” “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle” and “Transformers.”

The comedian drew critical and popular acclaim with his Fox television series “The Bernie Mac Show,” which aired more than 100 episodes from 2001 to 2006.

The series about a man’s adventures raising his sister’s three children, won a Peabody Award in 2002. At the time, judges wrote they chose the sitcom for transcending “race and class while lifting viewers with laughter, compassion — and cool.”

The show garnered Golden Globe and Emmy nominations for Mac. He also was nominated for a Grammy award for best comedy album in 2001 along with his “The Original Kings of Comedy” co-stars, Steve Harvey, D.L. Hughley and Cedric The Entertainer.

Planned to retire soon
    In 2007, Mac told David Letterman on CBS’ “Late Show” that he planned to retire soon.

“I’m going to still do my producing, my films, but I want to enjoy my life a little bit,” Mac told Letterman. “I missed a lot of things, you know. I was a street performer for two years. I went into clubs in 1977.”

Mac was born Bernard Jeffrey McCullough on Oct. 5, 1957, in Chicago. He grew up on the city’s South Side, living with his mother and grandparents. His grandfather was the deacon of a Baptist church.

In his 2004 memoir, “Maybe You Never Cry Again,” Mac wrote about having a poor childhood — eating bologna for dinner — and a strict, no-nonsense upbringing.

Mac’s mother died of cancer when he was 16. In his book, Mac said she was a support for him and told him he would surprise everyone when he grew up.

“Woman believed in me,” he wrote. “She believed in me long before I believed.”
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26108167/?GT1=43001

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Crap that sucks there was a false report a couple days ago that he died to.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Must have been on his death bed when that first report came out.

I liked Bernie Mac. Did he die from pneumonia?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Sad news. Way too young, only 50 years old...

Thanks for all the laughs Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Must have been on his death bed when that first report came out.

I liked Bernie Mac. Did he die from pneumonia?

Yeah there was a complication or something.

RIP.

HIV, anyone? They always use the ol' pneumonia complication, for that ailment......

...either that, or Barry O had him snuffed out, for embarrassing him.
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    hiv, Anyone? They Always Use The Ol' Pneumonia Complication, For That Ailment......
    Lmfao!

9. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

HIV, anyone? They always use the ol' pneumonia complication, for that ailment......

...either that, or Barry O had him snuffed out, for embarrassing him.
    Not sure Barry O has ever been embarrassed by any of the loons he
    associates with...
    Last edited by KCL; 08-13-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Peaked my interest, google search says he had lung disease previously which could account for the weak immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Peaked my interest, google search says he had lung disease previously which could account for the weak immune system.
    Well, we'll never know...

...but then you look back and see what he was 'joking' about, before Barry O came on stage, and you say "hmmmmm....."......

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

I dont think he was gay rc -

my ex father in law died in his early 50's from lung disease -

And look at Magic Johnson - its been what 20 years and he's still alive and kickin - hmmm i always wondered how he maintained his health while most people with aids usually die by now

But RIP Bernie Mac - prayers to your family
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post

And look at Magic Johnson - its been what 20 years and he's still alive and kickin - hmmm i always wondered how he maintained his health while most people with aids usually die by now

Cause he has millions of dollars.

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

I believe it could be the "Billy Bob Thornton" curse. Several days after Bernie's death, Isaac Hayes was found dead by his treadmill (for those that don't know he plays the voice of Chef on South Park and is famous musician)...They were both starring in a Billy Bob movie together. Rumors floating around hollywood now is that if you star in a movie involving Billy Bob, then you had better have made burial arrangements...
    R.I.P. Bernie...I loved your movies and the "Bernie Mac" show. "Okay, first rule of this carpool. No breaking wind in my car. The only gas that Bernie Mac want to be smelling is unleaded. " Bernie Mac.

R.I.P. Isaac... "You've got to hold the football like you would hold your lover. Gently, yet firmly. You wanna be both nurturing and clinging at the same time. Oh, yes. Just like making sweet love to the football. Be naughty with the football. Mmmm, spank it. Ever so gently. Spank it. Oh, uh, sorry, children." Chef--South Park.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post

More ways to get HIV than by being gay, OB.

And as far as Johnson's condition goes.....must be the reason his first name is Magic.

17. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

KCL

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

More ways to get HIV than by being gay, OB.

And as far as Johnson's condition goes.....must be the reason his first name is Magic.
    I know i wasnt thinking - its still sad though no matter what - 50 is too young
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

19. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

KCL

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information