Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass protection in Raiders game: Breakdown of every pass play in the game

Default Pass protection in Raiders game: Breakdown of every pass play in the game

Due to some comments saying the pass protection wasn't good, and others saying it was, I decided to do a play by play breakdown.

Not the prettiest formatting, but I am not in a 'formatting' frame of mind.

Pass | Result
    1 play action backpeddling almost sacked
    2 straight drop released pass with rusher 2 steps away coming unblocked - in complete
    3 bootleg run, no pass, no gain.
    4 straigh drop no pressure completed
    5 Play action, pack peddling released rusher three steps away coming free - in complete
    6 Shotgun - pocket collapsing, throws with DE waving arm in his face, complete to marshal, fist down.
    7 drop back on the goal line, no pressure, incomplete
    8 straight drop (from ten, after Cutler running TD called back), both left tackle and guard beat, cutler steps up, out of pocket, TD Stokely
    End of 1st Quarter - 7 or 8 passes, depending on whether the bootleg right was a designed run or scramble by Jay.
    7 passes - 5 plays had pressure, 4 of them effected the play (back peddling or quick release)
    9 Play action - Rusher in Jay's face as soon as he turned following play fake, quick release, complete Graham.
    10 Play action - minimal pressure (being released low right after ball left hand) - intercepted (pressure likely not cause)
    11 Play action, quick hit/screen complete to walker - Lepsis beat by end, but designed quick hit, pressure didn't effect play
    12 Short Drop, left end comes unblocked (Sapp wiffs on cut block) hits Cutler right after releasing ball, incomplete - PI
    13 Straight drop, right guard is beat, but cutler gets ball away right before getting grabbed by DT. - complete Walker
    End of 2nd Quarter - 5 pass play - pass blocking breaks down on 4 of the 5 (almost 5, but the right guard held of the DT just long enough)
    3 of the 5 plays Cutler hit right as or after releasing ball. 1 additional Lepsis completely beat, but not a factor because of quick hit
    14 Straigh drop, pocket completely intact, throw to walker for 9 yard gain
    15 Play action right, Cutler turns from play fake right into rush, quick back peddle throw to Sapp (great reaction by Cutler)
    16 Straight Drop, RT completely beat by DE, Cutler back peddles dumps to Henry.
    17 Straight drop, blitzing DB - blind side - TE doesn't chip, Henry doesn't see and runs right past - Cutler is hit right as/after releasing -- comlete sapp 2 yards
    18 Straigh drop, pocket holds, complete over middle to Marshall
    19 Short drop, right guard beat, Cutler has enough time, throw not rushed -- 2 yard gain to young
    20 Straight drop - Lepsis and right guard beat, end and tackle reach/hit Cutler as he releases ball -- complete, but PI on Marshall
    21 Shotgun - Left Guard beat, Cutler hit and whipped around right after releasing ball - complete henry 4 yards
    22 Playaction drom own 7, plenty of time, DE eventually came free after 3+ seconds, high throw to Marshall incomplete
    23 Playaction - Cutler in Endzone after drop, DE loops and comes untouched up the middle, hits Cutler right after releasing ball complete to Marshall - Holding called back
    End of Third Quarter -- 10 pass plays -- 6 Plays Cutler is either rushed or hit right after releasing ball
    24 Play action from 4, cutler has end in his face when turning back from play fake in endzone, has to make fade away jump pass over DE complete to Walker at LOS - 4 yard gain.
    25 Shotgun from 9 - TD bowls over LG, sacks Cutler in endzone for safety.
    26 Play action from own 6 minimal pressure complete to Walker - 12 yards
    27 quick hit 2 stop drop - pass to Marshall
    28 straight drop - quick pass to Sapp, incomplete, RT falls down, DE stunts inside, untouched, but do to quick hit it wasn't a factor
    29 Straight drop, RT badly beat, Lepsis shoved back -- DE waves arm and deflects pass -- pick six
    30 two step drop, pocket collapsing, but not a factor due to quick hit -- incomplete to Walker -- Almost picked off - off Walker's back shoulder
    31 Shotgun, DE beats lepsis but falls at Cutler's feet, DT beats Nalen/RG, hits Cutler as/after releasing ball, complete to Stokely.
    32 straight drop -- pocket holds 10 yard gain to Walker
    33 straight drop - LE comes in untouched, DB?LB comes untouched from other side, Cutler throws fade away incomplete to Walker in endzone
    34 Shotgun - pocket holds, throw to Walker short of goal line
    End of 4th Quarter 11 pass plays -- 4 plays pressure was a factor, 2 others pocket failed but not factor due to quick-hit type plays
    35 Play ection, fake end around - no pressure complete to Walker
    36 Straight Drop - DT blows by LG, Cutler throws flat footed leaning back, gets hit as throwing, incomplete to Sapp (great throw by Cutler) - punt
    37 Play action -- Lepsis beat, DT comes through untouched -- DT and DE hit Cutler as/right after releasing ball -- completes dump off to Bell 8 yards
    38 Play action/boot leg (might not have been designed rollout, as DE came untouched and Jay had to escape sack) right - Just avoids sack -- complete to Marshall
    End of OT -- 4 pass plays - 3 plays effected by pressure.
    Total 38 pass plays --- 24 plays had moderate to severe pressure that either forced Cutler to throw early or he was hit right after releasing ball or rusher was coming untouched and within a step or two of hitting Cutler. Another 3 or 4 where the rush was only a non-factor because of the 'quick hit' plays they started employing in the second half.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

You've some dedication there Tned. One comment I have is that Jay's second interception was a tipped pass. I know you probably had this in there and I just didn't see it.

i think cutler works good in the shotgun. also that bootleg throw to walker would have looked just like the one he threw in arizona last year but he undershot him a bit. i think he hung on to the ball too long...next time he should just gun it and let walkers legs catch up to it...at least put it out of reach of the db.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Good job Again, I have not had the time to study the game. But what you stated pretty much agreed what I had thought I saw. Lots of pressure by a damned good pass defense.

We have to come up with a better protection scheme or he is gonna get killed and concussed out of the league.

Remember folks that this line is still designed for finesse Zone blocking and not the pocket passing that Jay is.

Pressure in his face all day will do one of two things make him better as a learning experience or make him mistake prone. Lets hope it is the former and the DC's do not make the other book on him.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    You've some dedication there Tned. One comment I have is that Jay's second interception was a tipped pass. I know you probably had this in there and I just didn't see it.
    Number 29 - Pick six

Replace Pears and Holland now. You damn right Shanahan hopes that Harris can practice. Those turds could be supplanted.

Great post Tned... Thank you for your work...

It seemed that our O-Line is really not at its best...
    How did Cutler and Henry manage to put those numbers?

I didn't see the games (thanks French TV )... But after reading this I really wonder if one of the reason we didn't score more points is that our O-Line is outplayed near the goal line... What's your point about it?
    Froggy's back !

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

It's post like that would make me suggest that he change his name to "tnerd".

One must remember that the raiders do have a very good defense, and you can't so much blame our O-line, but give some credit to the raider's d-line.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post

One must remember that the raiders do have a very good defense, and you can't so much blame our O-line, but give some credit to the raider's d-line.
    Tnerd... ... Excellent one Sneakie !!!!

Yeah... Of course, D is a part of the problem... Give also credit the D, but I guess our O-Line could be better, couldn't it?
    Froggy's back !

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post

LOL, on the name.

While I highlighted this game, I did it in response to a year long (or so) trend of a lot of posters disagreeing with the media and those of us that say that pass protection, especially during drop back passing, is a weakness of this team.

We shall see if it proves that Oakland and Buffalo prove to be much tougher defenses than SD, Indy, Pitt and the other teams we will play this year, and whether or not that just made them look bad. I hope so, but in the end, I think the only way the poor pass protection is going to be overcome is by creative play calling, just like the previous 3, 4 , 5... years.

With all due respect to a typically well thought out and researched analysis, I don't think that's a very useful way to look at it. Whether a rusher was about to come free from a block is a pretty arbitrary decision. Even deciding if there was a legit pass rush can be, albeit to a much lesser extent. Fact is, Cutler had really solid numbers--except for the 2 picks that drop his Passer Rating from very good to just under 80. I don't think it's really fair to credit the 300 yards, near 2/3 completion percentage and TD entirely to him and then blame the two picks all on the line (though it's hard to argue with the safety).

It's too soon to tell, IMHO, but as far as the "we do/n't need bigger linemen!1!" debate, if the pass protection WAS poor, it's a poor argument for bigger linemen. Myers is bigger than Hamilton, and Holland is easily the biggest lineman we have now that Foster is gone (and if I was gonna go bigger it WOULD be at guard... ) so if the pass protection was poor the solution is something a little more complex than hiring out retired sumos.... At this point I would credit any problems to the fact we have two out of five of last years starters in right now. The greater concern, IMHO, is we don't seem to be having any more success running right, and that's bad in a lot of ways; when the chips are down and the game's on the line, we run left behind Lepsis, Hamilton (or Myers, now) and Nalen, just as we have for several years, and every AFC DC can tell you that. Worse, Hamilton, our best pulling guard, is out with an injury now, and if we can't run right....

Hopefully once they have more game time together as a unit they'll start to become more cohesive, because four HoF offensive linemen and one scrub are nothing more or less than a sack machine lucky to average three yards a run. The flip side though is that I do think it's too soon to tell; even if Pears, Holland and/or Myers are doing really well together, if so much as one of them falls down the whole line is Swiss cheese as defenses exploit the weakness and the rest of the line tries to compensate.

do you ever sleep nedy??

________
    DOMINANTRIX
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    i think cutler works good in the shotgun. also that bootleg throw to walker would have looked just like the one he threw in arizona last year but he undershot him a bit. i think he hung on to the ball too long...next time he should just gun it and let walkers legs catch up to it...at least put it out of reach of the db.
    If I remeber correctly wasn't Marshall wide open running across the field and would have been a gain of about 20-30 yds.? However, on the throw to Walker, he definatly held on too long.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

wow long post but yea i agree
    RIP D. Nash, D. Williams and BFC

Every player that has ever caught a pass over Champ Bailey is now under official investigation by the NFL for performance-enhancing drugs.

Champ Pick Count 40

Quote Originally Posted by konnorrollison View Post
    wow long post but yea i agree
    One of my shortest posts ever. lol

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information