Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bill Parcells coming to the AFC West?

Default Bill Parcells coming to the AFC West?

On Tuesday morning, Bill Parcells announced his departure from the Miami Dolphins following months of speculation of his future with the organization.

Parcells had been working as a consultant advising the team in its football operations, this coming after a stint where he served as the official Vice President of football operations. Not only is Parcells going to be a highly-sought executive for any team, but this clearly kick-starts the speculation in Kansas City on whether he will join his son-in-law Scott Pioli in the Chiefs’ front office.

The Miami Herald reports that while it was deemed a ‘leave of absence’ by Parcells himself, he went so far to clean out his office and vacate the team’s facilities.

Just last month, Chiefs team president Denny Thum abruptly resigned from the Chiefs’ administration. Parcells’ departure not only starts to bring the pieces of the puzzle together, but also make it look like they’re about to fall into place.

Would Parcells work with Pioli in KC?

As the Chiefs General Manager, Scott Pioli’s influence on the Chiefs is now undeniably powerful. Parcells has reportedly told those closest to him that he is willing to join a team possibly later to help them prepare for the 2011 NFL Draft.

It would be a no-brainer if Parcells were to jump ship from Miami to the Midwest in order to help not only his son-in-law but also a big majority of his own coaching tree establish a winning tradition in Kansas City.

Parcells was hired by the Dolphins while Wayne Huizenga was majority owner and some credited him and his close confidant Jeff Ireland—whom Parcells named general manager—with turning the Dolphins into an 11-5 team after an abysmal 1-15 season.

Since Stephen Ross bought majority ownership of the team in 2008, many pointed out that a re-worked contract by Parcells had a clause in his contract which can allow him to leave the team at any time, collect his pay, and join a new team immediately.

That opens the door for Parcells to not only be tied to any NFL franchise, but the one which he may very well have the best fit: the Kansas City Chiefs.

The final word on Parcells would likely fall on the shoulders of Chairman Clark Hunt.

While it’s safe to say that Pioli has things going just fine as general manager, Clark Hunt isn’t going to hold on to his title of interim team president which he took up after Denny Thum departed. He’ll want to focus most on being team chairman, but is surely willing to give Parcells a look at some capacity. Parcells may not be the guy who takes the title as team president, but he’s definitely in the running to become a figurehead for this Chiefs franchise.

Hunt will want to gather as much brain and brawn as possible, and look for the Chiefs to make a shot at Parcells if not immediately but before the beginning of the 2011 season.
    barf ten characters

Thanks for the info DS..I hadn't heard about this.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...at-981317.html

I won't copy the whole story but I will post this.

With Parcells gone, a popular theory has owner Stephen M. Ross hiring his friend, Carl Peterson - the former football boss for the Kansas City Chiefs - as head of football operations. Peterson then, logically, could hire his own coach and general manager.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Coaching again may not be out of the big picture either.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Coaching again may not be out of the big picture either.
    I can't see that happening. I think working in the front office is easier for him and less demanding. I'd be surprised if he coached again full time.

Quality Guy

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN View Post
    I can't see that happening. I think working in the front office is easier for him and less demanding. I'd be surprised if he coached again full time.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I'd think at his age he'd want to go somewhere where the weather is nicer.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

8. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

This would be bad news for the rest of the AFC West. KC already appears to be building a strong foundation. I think Pioli is one of the best talent evaluators in football and Parcells understands what it takes to build a winner. The football IQ in KC could potentially far exceed everybody else's in that division.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Dolphins say Parcells' departure from facility doesn't mean end

Bill Parcells has again reduced his role with the Miami Dolphins: He stopped coming to work.

Parcells cleared out his office and no longer works at the team complex, but the Dolphins said he'll continue as a consultant to general manager Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano.

"Whether he is physically here or not is really immaterial to the contributions that he will make on an ongoing basis," Dolphins chief executive officer Mike Dee said Tuesday. "From the football operations point of view, it really is business as usual. Nothing has really changed."

Parcells doesn't plan to shop his services to other NFL teams, The Miami Herald reported, citing league sources. In fact, he is calling the move "a leave of absence," team and league sources told the newspaper.

However, Parcells' role has become even more limited since he gave control of football operations to Ireland shortly before the season. At that time, the Dolphins said Parcells would remain involved daily, but that might no longer be the case.

"The role is fluid," Dee said, "and how it shapes going forward is Bill's decision." Dee wouldn't speculate about whether or not Parcells is likely to help with next year's draft, but the Herald reported that he is open to the possibility.

Parcells was hired nearly three years ago by then-Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, who subsequently sold the team to Stephen Ross. The new owner hasn't commented publicly since Parcells handed control to Ireland.

Dee described as "not accurate" speculation that a rift developed between Parcells and Ross, Ireland or Sparano, prompting the transition in control.

"I think Bill just decided it was the right time," Dee said. "There were no adversarial, contentious issues I'm aware of between ownership or anybody. This is a group that continues to work closely together. Jeff and Tony are here together because of Bill."

Parcells was hired as Miami staggered to the end of a 1-15 season in 2007, and Ireland and Sparano came aboard shortly thereafter.

The Dolphins staged a remarkable turnaround in 2008, when they went 11-5 and won the AFC East, but they finished a disappointing 7-9 last season. They're 3-2 this season heading into Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I speak for Steve when I say we love the team we have," Dee said. "Tony and Jeff have Steve's full confidence. It has been that way since Steve got here, and especially in the last six weeks."

Parcells worked a full schedule his first two years in Miami. He arrived early each day, watched practices from a golf cart, poured over video of games and offered players frequent feedback.

That routine ended at the conclusion of this year's training camp, but Parcells has continued to attend some practices.

"You've still got to watch over your shoulder, because you know he could be standing there," Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long said. "You've still got to play well."

"We kind of took it for granted because we saw him every day," linebacker Channing Crowder said. "There were little things where he pulled me aside and told me how to take on a block or something different. It's an honor to be able to say that I learned something from Bill Parcells."

But Dolphins radio announcer Jim Mandich, who won two Super Bowl rings with the team as a player, said Parcells is stepping back with his job unfinished.

"When somebody comes in and they don't respect or revere or treat our franchise like they love it -- I never had the feeling Bill Parcells was emotionally engaged," Mandich said at the weekly fan luncheon he hosts. "He was a hired gun. He was a personality. He came in; he leaves two years later. I feel like taking Listerine and washing my mouth out, because it doesn't feel good to me."

A four-year contract allows Parcells to leave at any time and collect the balance of the $12 million due him. The deal expires after the 2011 season.

Parcells rarely speaks to the media, but in a conference call with reporters last month, he said he expects to find something to keep him busy when he leaves the Dolphins. Some took the comments as a signal he's in the market for a new job.

"I'm not a 'sit-around-the-fireplace' guy," Parcells said. "We'll see what happens when the time comes, but I know I want to do something, even if it's not day to day."

As a coach, Parcells took over losing teams with the New York Giants, New England Patriots, New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys and transformed them into winners. He won five division titles in 19 seasons and led the Giants to two Super Bowl championships.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

"When somebody comes in and they don't respect or revere or treat our franchise like they love it -- I never had the feeling Bill Parcells was emotionally engaged," Mandich said at the weekly fan luncheon he hosts. "He was a hired gun. He was a personality. He came in; he leaves two years later.
    Tuna the Mercenary

This is what he has done since he left the NYG.

Other than giving Farve his only Championship, losing the AFCCG in Denver leading the NYJ is as close as he's come.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

I did not know Pioli was his SIL.

When I heard he was on the move I was thinking that he would be a great mentor for Xman and Josh.

But now that seems unlikely.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I did not know Pioli was his SIL.

When I heard he was on the move I was thinking that he would be a great mentor for Xman and Josh.

But now that seems unlikely.
    why unlikely? McD is part of his tree. And son-in-law ISN'T son. Lol
    granted it'd never happen, but how better to teach someone than by tough love and beating their ass 2x/yr. Sure would make Thanksgiving dinner more exciting.
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Ego and power struggle seems to mar Parcells in each of his last stops: Miami, Dallas, and before.

Should he end up in KC it may not work out as well as some people might imagine.

you only need 3 characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

good

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information