Thread: Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings

Default Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings

Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 19, 2010 10:37 AM ET
    It's almost like the NFL scheduled the Jaguars and Titans on Monday night just to rub it in Major League Baseball's face.

Despite a 30-3 final score and a matchup of teams in low-rated markets, Monday Night Football still got better ratings than Game Three of the American Championship League Series between the Yankees (top television market) and Rangers (fifth-rated market.)

The final ratings (7.2-6.5) was a lot closer than the football score. Both games were on cable, which kept the playing field even.

The football game had two backup quarterbacks in by halftime, while the baseball game was tight into the ninth inning and included an epic pitching performance by Cliff Lee.

There was a time in my life this would have surprised me. Of course, there was also a time in my life I would have watched the last few innings of baseball instead of staying with the football game to see how Trent Edwards, Damian Williams, and Tiquan Underwood looked.

I'm no longer surprised that so many of you feel the same way. The NFL is a behemoth, somehow rapidly picking up viewers when everything else on television is just trying to slow down erosion.

The owners and the players can't possibly screw this up, right?

Which one is America's Sport again???

2. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Stupid baseball. I was once as big a baseball fan as I was a football fan. They screwed that up in every way possible. A powerful players union that won't allow for salary caps and cancelled a World Series, stupid marketing, lack of revenue sharing leading to a class of permanently uncompetitive franchises, on and on and on.

It would be hard to be stupider than MLB - yet, amazingly, the NBA went and did it anyways when they made it a League centered around a very few stars and tolerated thug behavior from the players
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Baseball sucks. I would watch two winless football teams play before watching a baseball game its that bad.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Why was it a "classic" game. Because it involved the Yankees? So if it were the Angels and Twins, it wouldn't be "classic"?

It was an 8-0 shutout vs. a 30-3 rout. I stopped watching both before the games ended.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

8. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Baseball sucks
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

As others already said, the word is out........baseball sucks.

12. The Following User High Fived Reidman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

It is hard to remember when the games are on because they play a 7 game series over the span of 3 1/2 months

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Stupid baseball. I was once as big a baseball fan as I was a football fan. They screwed that up in every way possible. A powerful players union that won't allow for salary caps and cancelled a World Series, stupid marketing, lack of revenue sharing leading to a class of permanently uncompetitive franchises, on and on and on.

It would be hard to be stupider than MLB - yet, amazingly, the NBA went and did it anyways when they made it a League centered around a very few stars and tolerated thug behavior from the players
    Thankfully, the Oklahoma City Thunder are showing the NBA how it should be done, building a team of guys who are talented, but who also understand the importance of team-work, and that no super-star is bigger than the team.

It will be a fun experiment over the next few years to see which model works better: The Miami Heat and their ego-driver super-star line-up of "King" James, Wade & Bosh, or the OKC Thunder and their humble, hard-working "team" of Durant, Westbrook, Harden et al.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Isnt Durant a major star?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Isnt Durant a major star?
    A major star who signed a contract extension without fan-fare or press conferences. Who humbly talks about working hard every chance he gets.

A major star, whom Sports Illustrated wanted for the cover of the NBA special edition this week. .. . and he said he'd only do it if they put his team-mates Sabo Thefolosha and Nenad Krstic on the cover with him. I dare say, a lot of even NBA fans won't recognize either of the other two by face, but Durant wanted them to share the spot-light with him.

That's a quite a difference from the three yahoos in Miami.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

You mean James and company wouldnt pose with each other on SI? Im confused.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    You mean James and company wouldnt pose with each other on SI? Im confused.
    Would James and company ask for their team-mates to be included on an SI cover with them?

I've seen a ton of hype about the "three kings". Lots of photo-ops, lots of press about those three, but I don't ever see anything with any of the rest of their team.

Durant got asked to grace the cover of SI and he refused unless two guys that never get their name in the media (one of which who often comes off the bench) were on the cover with him.

Wait, wasn't this a baseball sucks thread? When did Labron James and Kevin Durant start playing baseball? Were THEY in the ALCS?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

20. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information