Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So do you think Harrison is a dirty player now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Default So do you think Harrison is a dirty player now?

I'm on record with saying that I thought James Harrison is a dirty player and a POS after his unnecessary hit on Orton in the pre-season game. Not for that particular hit, just that he has a history of doing it. His hit on Massaquoi on Sunday's game was totally unnecessary and dirty and he should be suspended at least one game. Rodney Harrison (another player I thought was dirty) said that it took a suspension for him to wake up and stop head hunting when they talked to him before the Sunday night game. This shyt is getting out of hand.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

Steelers linebacker Harrison: I don't care if I hurt other players
    James Harrison sidelined two Browns players with punishing hits
    Harrison: It's difficult to draw line between hurting player, jeopardizing career

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers linebacker James Harrison states his objective matter-of-factly: He's out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity.

If he sees players down on the turf - as he did Sunday when he sidelined Browns wide receivers Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with concussion-causing hits only minutes apart - he knows he's done his job.

"I don't want to injure anybody," Harrison said following Pittsburgh's 28-10 victory. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Harrison's reputation as being one of the NFL's nastiest players was enhanced when his leading-with-the-helmet hits on Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi left the Browns with just two healthy wide receivers for more than a half. Neither hit was penalized, although the NFL said Monday it is reviewing the hit on Massaquoi. The league determined Cribbs' tackle was legal.

Harrison's style of play is raising questions about whether it's possible to stay within the rules, yet also play dirty. While the Browns weren't especially critical of the hits following the game, tight end Benjamin Watson was more outspoken Monday.

"I hope the NFL does the max, whatever the max is, I hope they give it to him," Watson said.

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press that the league could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits. The NFL is emphasizing a reduction in football concussions, which can lead to dementia and brain disease.

The crown of Harrison's helmet slammed into the left side of Cribbs' helmet as the wide receiver was running a wildcat formation play, causing Cribbs to crumple face-first into the turf. He appeared to be momentarily knocked out. Because Cribbs was a runner, such helmet-to-helmet contact is permissible.

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," Harrison said. "A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out but he's going to be OK."

Harrison struck Massaquoi with his helmet as he rammed his right forearm and shoulder into the wide receiver to break up a pass. NFL rules now require a defender to give a receiver time to defend himself before he absorbs such a hit.

Harrison argued it would be a "travesty" if he was fined, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also said it was a legal hit. However, the outside linebacker has drawn fines in the past for his aggressive style of play.

He drew a $5,000 penalty for slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young to the turf Sept. 19, a play that also wasn't penalized. Harrison also was fined $5,000 last season for unnecessary roughness following a late hit on Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth. In 2008, he drew a $20,000 fine for criticizing a roughing-the-passer penalty against him.

The Steelers haven't publicly discouraged Harrison from playing with an edge, believing it enhances their image as one of the NFL's toughest, physical and most intimidating defenses. Following Sunday's game, safety Ryan Clark called Harrison "an animal" and wide receiver Hines Ward termed him "a beast" - and both were being complimentary.

"You see a guy like that, knocking guys out like that ... he's a man on a mission," Ward said. "He sets the tempo for everybody."

Harrison said he doesn't want to put any player out of a game or jeopardize his career. Still, the former AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year realizes it can be difficult to draw a line between merely hurting a player and badly injuring him as hits are being delivered so quickly, there's no time to consider the consequences.

Tomlin appeared to suggest that younger players looking for a role model to copy for physical play might find him in Harrison, who was chosen as an AFC Pro Bowl starter the last three seasons.

"James is always ready to deliver for his teammates," Tomlin said. "That's why they have so much respect for him. He's a good football player, man. He always delivers timely performances when you need them. Talking to a lot of young players, they want to know the recipe for being a dominant, great player. It's not only delivering plays, but delivering plays at a timely manner - significant plays. And he does that for the most part."

2. The Following 10 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

He's almost the definition of a dirty player, BDB - a total POS. No room for guys like this IMO
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    He's almost the definition of a dirty player, BDB - a total POS. No room for guys like this IMO
    He needs 2 to 3 games off IMO. I doubt he gets any.

I guess I dont' get it guys. I may not like his comment about a hit like "that" geeks you up... but the truth of the matter it does. It "geeks" up the team. When you find out a guy is NOT hurt (as he said), BIG hits juice you up...it juices the team up, both offense and defense.

I love his intensity. If you want a TOUGH defense, you will have guys that are NOT nice people playing the game. Thats just part of it. I personally don't want my LBs to be nice people.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Tom Jackson stated last night that when he played he came after guys to put a hurting on them as well. He said receivers used to be afraid to come over the middle in fear of getting lit up. Thats what it was all about for defenders. I have a bigger problem with a guy like Finnegan throwing his forearm into a guy's head without a helmet than i do with a guy who just plays physical football.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

If Harrison was a Falcon or a Ram, they'd have already thrown the book at him but because he's a Steeler, the NFL overlooks his dirty play. They haven't even thrown a flag on any of these hits, not even the one where he slammed Vince Young to the ground on his head. For some reason, he's s-p-e-c-i-a-l, just like the old Raiders used to be.

I remember a Raider DB named Neal Colzie who was drafted to back up Jack Tatum and learned the elbow-to-the-throat-while-falling-on-the-ballcarrier move that the Raiders used to get away with all the time. Well, Colzie wound up being sent to the Dolphins and he tried the same thing during a game. The officials were right there to flag him and Colzie look perplexed. He apparently didn't understand there are separate rules for the Raiders and Steelers.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I guess I dont' get it guys. I may not like his comment about a hit like "that" geeks you up... but the truth of the matter it does. It "geeks" up the team. When you find out a guy is NOT hurt (as he said), BIG hits juice you up...it juices the team up, both offense and defense.

I love his intensity. If you want a TOUGH defense, you will have guys that are NOT nice people playing the game. Thats just part of it. I personally don't want my LBs to be nice people.
    It's this comment...

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," Harrison said. "A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out but he's going to be OK."

Uh, a guy who gets knocked out is probably not ok. When you head hunt and hand out concussions like candy on Halloween you shorten careers and give guys life-long health issues. I have no problem with the type of hit where you drive your shoulder into the guys chest and it is just as effective (ask Roy Williams about the hit DJ put on him in the Cowboys game last year).

Harrison has a history of cheap shots and head shots, he needs to pay with a suspension.

11. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont care about his comments. I can guarantee its more of a head game to him (no pun intended) where he wants receivers to fear coming in his direction. If he uses his helmet instead of his shoulder just fine and suspend him. If he uses his shoulder (like he did against Orton) than let it go. I played the same way in high school probably even worse.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I dont care about his comments. I can guarantee its more of a head game to him (no pun intended) where he wants receivers to fear coming in his direction. If he uses his helmet instead of his shoulder just fine and suspend him. If he uses his shoulder (like he did against Orton) than let it go. I played the same way in high school probably even worse.
    You dirty *******!

No, he shouldn't have been fined or anything for the Orton hit, it just shows you that he'll take unnecessary shots at players to take them out of the game. He has a history of it and is a POS.

He and Courtland Finnegan can run around and be the baddest, toughest, feared players in the league. Whatever, they are still cheap shot artists.

15. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

There is a World of difference between guys like Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith, who would lay a brutal but clean hit on a guy, and cheap shot artists like Harrison and Cortland Finnegan (and yes, we've had a few ourselves). Guys who make the game unnecessarily dangerous are the ones who will eventually get rules put in place that make the game less fun to watch, and who undermine sportsmanship IMO. Plus I don't want to get my entertainment watching guys get crippled, sustain permanent brain damage, or paralysis - it makes the sport too much like bear baiting or something.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

He had two helmet hits yesterday, and there's no argument that they weren't intentional.

He was the guy who kept throwing down a Cardinals player well after the whistle was blown.

There's a difference between being a hard hitter and a cheap shot artist.

Patrick Willis - Hard Hitter.

Rodney Harrison - cheap shot artist.

Troy P's career in the NFL (he was kinda cheap in USC) - Hard hitter.

James Harrison - Cheap shot artist.

And yeah, because he's a Steeler he will get a slap on the wrist tops. Anyone want to guess which commissioner got a serious push from the Steelers' owners?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following 6 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

I think North and BDB need to suit up in Broncos gear,get your asses out there on the field and play some tough defense...

21. The Following User High Fived KCL For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He had two helmet hits yesterday, and there's no argument that they weren't intentional.

He was the guy who kept throwing down a Cardinals player well after the whistle was blown.

There's a difference between being a hard hitter and a cheap shot artist.

Patrick Willis - Hard Hitter.

Rodney Harrison - cheap shot artist.

Troy P's career in the NFL (he was kinda cheap in USC) - Hard hitter.

James Harrison - Cheap shot artist.

And yeah, because he's a Steeler he will get a slap on the wrist tops. Anyone want to guess which commissioner got a serious push from the Steelers' owners?
    Strange to hear this from a Bengal's fan.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    I think North and BDB need to suit up in Broncos gear,get your asses out there on the field and play some tough defense...
    Putting BDB and tough in the same sentence just wouldnt work.

Zinnnnnnnnng!

JK BDB, you know i love ya.

24. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Strange to hear this from a Bengal's fan.

Nah, dont confuse the issue. King isnt comparing dirty players to thugs like whats on his team. Those guys carry weapons and shit.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information