Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Anubis Metal Album Review Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Old Man's Child- The Pagan Prosperity (1997)

Origin
    Hails from Norway, formed in 1993

Members
    Galder- Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Synth
    Reno Kiilerich- Session Drummer

Style
    Symphonic Black Metal

Highlights
    I cant even begin to tell you how much i love this record. I knew it right when i saw the album cover. Much better packaging than the debut with far better artwork. But we all know that cover art doesnt always tell the tale of an album dont we? But in this case it does say a lot as this album is exceptional. Both with song writing, execution, production, and arrangements. Every instrument is heard with nothing overdoing the other. The keyboard piece towards the middle and end of the first track "The Millennium King" is not only atomspheric but beautiful in its own right. But all this is enveloped by the aggressive guitars and blast beat drums surrounding it. One of the best openers i can ever remember hearing. Every song flows into the other and nothing becomes overdone or too long. There is just a perfect mixture and perfection on these compositions thoughout the album.

And for those who have followed this band throughout their history this album is actually a far cry from both the debut and the albums that followed later. This is truly a masterpiece in its own right and Galder should get far more respect and admiration than he does in this genre. As much as i like Dimmu Borgir nothing they can do as a team can compare to what Galder does on his own. He is a craftsman true metal genius. The wonderful thing about this album is how it can incorporate a little of thrash, symphony, and raw black carnage into entire album. Some of my favorite tracks on here are "The Millennium King", "My Demonic Figures", "Return of the Night Creatures", and "What Malice Embraced". What sets this album apart so much is how Galder branched out from the typical stigma of typical black metal. The fact that he can combine the melodies and harmonizing sounds that he has is outstanding. Let us not forget this is when Galder decided to take over vocal duties as well and it has paid dividends.

Problems
    Nothing i can really think of. If i had to nitpick i guess i would say the production but i actually quite enjoy how it was produced on this record. Its not as overwhelming like it is on the latter releases which gives it its uniqueness.

Final Thought
    If i had to define this album for OMC i would say this is their crowning achievement. It set the tone and standard for the future releases of this band and really was never matched. I enjoy some of the later albums but none of them can touch my soul or cerebrum quite like "Pagan". For those who know me, i dont generally write reviews just for the hell of it. I pick albums that i really like or that i find very interesting and this situation is no different. I do not or will not steer you wrong my friends. If there is one OMC album that you feel you have waste money on this is the one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Zimmer's Hole-When You Were Shouting at the Devil/We Were in League with Satan(2008)

Origin
    Formed in 1991 from Vancouver, Canada.

Members
    Chris Valagao- Vocals
    Jed Simon- Guitar
    Chris Stanely- Guitar
    Byron Stroud- Bass
    Gene Hoglan- Drums

Track Listing
    1. When You Were Shouting at the Devill... We Were in League with Satan
    2. We Rule the ******* Land
    3. Flight of the Knight Bat
    4. 1312
    5. Devil's Mouth
    6. Vowel Song
    7. Fista Corps
    8. Anonymous Esophagus
    9. Alright
    10. Hair Doesn't Grow on Steel
    11. What's My Name...Evil!

Style
    Thrash/Death/Industrial hybrid

Highlight
    I know this may come as a entire shock to some people but Zimmer's Hole was one band i hadnt given much thought too. Although the obvious SYL and Devin Townsend connections i just didnt care too much to check out this particular project by Jed and company. And although i havent heard any past releases i soon will be as this record is excellent. Zimmer's Hole is a metal band that not totally unlike SYL doesnt take itself that seriously and indeed utilizes parody in its song writing. Devin wasnt toally absent on this release though as he did produce the vocal production and it clearly shows as vocalist Chris Valagao sounds at times like a cross between Rob Halford and the Alien madman himself on this record. But with all that said this ******* album OWNS. Parody or not the musicianship is outstanding and on point. Just a total unrelentless mechanism of crushing riffs and double hammered drum beats.

And just in case your curious, yes, overall the music is better on this record than the last SYL album just not as diverse. And you know coming from me that says a lot as im one of the biggest Dev fans out there. The great thing about this album is not only is it blistering heavy but hilarious on top of it all. The narration at the beginning of the Dethklok cover "The Vowel Song" is hilarious. Songs like "Hair Doesnt Grow on Steel" is paying comedic homage to the power metal genre. And obviously with songs like the title track "When You Were Shouting at the Devil...We Were in League with Satan" are laughing shots at the glam bands of the 80's. The band is just having a joy and great time with this record and it clearly shows. This album is something that everyone can listen too over and over again. Its that good.

Problems
    The only problem i have with it and its really not a problem is that Chris sounds far too like Devin at times on here. And like the Warrell Dane solo project i think that Devin should of just sang on this record because it seems like something he would do anyway. Never the less, its not that much of a problem for me as i enjoy this record a lot. Moving on...

Final Thought
    If your someone who loves the whole SYL sound and are bummed by the fact that they have disbanded this is a remedy to cure that hangover plus, you get to laugh in the process. This album doesnt take itself too seriously but it will kick your ass never the less.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Metallica- Master of Puppets (1986)

Origin
    Formed in Los Angeles, California in 1981.

Members
    James Hetfield- Guitar/Vocals
    Kirk Hammet- Lead Guitar
    Cliff Burton- Bass
    Lars Ulrich- Drums

Style
    Thrash

Highlights
    Look back for a moment and try and imagine a little scrawny teen ( mwah ) putting this album in. The song starts out with a acoustic guitar and being a hard rock fan i would think nothing much of it right away. But,, all of a sudden the electric guitars kick in and i began to know why there is such a buzz about this band. And when you are a scrawny teen albums like this just leaves you to believe you can defeat anyone at anytime. For a opening song this a great tune but compared to the rest of the album it is the worst of the bunch. Anyhow, on to the rest of the record. Ahhh, yes. The title track. Now is when the blood really gets boiling and the energy starts to rise. The song itself is a classic and is full or fantastic riffs and a lot of melody during the break. Hammetts solo is just outstanding and beautiful all in one. Lyrically one cannot deny how strong this song would apply to today's politics. With versus's like " Master of Puppets im pulling your strings, twisting your mind and smashing your dreams " you can get a sense of the angle the band is aiming for. The riffs are outstanding and very memorable on this track.

Without a doubt the track "The Thing That Should Not Be" is my favorite on the album next to "Disposable Heroes". It starts out with a dark and eerie guitar riff which is drawn out throughout the song. The lyrical theme fits the mood and at the same time does not imply what they are singing about but only to let the listener decide what THEY think it is about. This song is just so haunting and cold that i can never get enough of it. The following track "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is a beautifully written this song starts out with a melodic intro and can easily be described as one of Metallica's earliest ballads although not done in traditional fashion. The song itself is so depressing involving the pain and suffering one might deal with in his or her own mind. Using melodic solo's throughout again Hammett outdoes himself creating a soundscape of melodies. But unlike traditional ballads this one ends with a ferocity of hammering riffs allowing the listener to drag himself from the melodic embrace and unleash the anger and pain. This is a definite highlight on this record.

By far the most blistering song on this record and is the war cry for any man or woman in our armed forces is "Disposable Heroes". The lyrical content alone makes it worthwhile for the listener. Delving into the subject of young human beings going off to war and giving their life for their country serving the puppet master ( the goverment ). Some of the great lines in this song include " Soldier boy, made of clay, now an empty shell, twenty one only son but he served us well ". This song runs a little over 8 minutes but never loses its focus or intensity. Leper Messiah features some great chugging riffs from Hammett and Hetfield and some great bass lines from Burton ( may he rest in peace ). This song is pretty midpaced and keeps the album moving along and also showcases some of Lars Ulrich's best drumming.

Here is where i got blown away because just when i thought i figured out this album it throws a intrumental in here with the song "Orion". And who would have thought having a 8 minute instrumental could be so devastating? The opening guitar technique is impressive fading in and out which gives the song a dark feel. The band altogether showcases their talents in this song but do not overstep their bounds by getting to flashy. Ahh, the last song on the album and probably the most lethal and crowd pleasing. I absolutely love the opening guitar licks as they are drawn out something i had never heard before this album. It is a somewhat quiet intro and then the reverb kicks in and BLAMMO!!!!! the music just turns absolutely vicious as the band just seems to let it all hang out here. Lyrically, that band uses the similar theme that they have throughout the entire record.

Problems
    Nothing, this is Metallica at their finest.

Final Thought
    Although some will continue to debate that the prior album "Ride the Lightning" was a better album i still believe this is their unicorn and their trademark when it comes to musicianship, writing, and execution. One only needs to listen to this album and realize its importance to the metal scene and the standard that it set.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Spiculum Iratus/Bestial Incarnation- Monuments of Decimation (Split)

Band
    Spiculum Iratus

Origins
    United States of America

Members
    Entity Savnok - Vocals, Bass
    Impious - Guitars (Bestial Incarnation)
    Decadence - Drums

Style
    Raw Black Metal

Highlights
    Im doing this review in two different sections starting with Spiculum Iratus first. To their credit Spiculum Iratus does something that most Black Metal bands don't and that is they dont overshadow or drown out the vocals with the music. Part of appreciating a good album (especially black metal) is being able to hear the entire cast with great balance and flow. Spiculum Iratus has achieved that here on this split. Savnok's vocal delivery is dark and brooding yet very cold and devastating. I can best describe the vocals as somewhat along the lines of Red Harvest's Jim Bergsten. And that would be a good thing if you can appreciate the coldness and despair of his vocals on songs like "Cold Dark Matter". The song "Black Crucifixion Wounds" is a blistering piece of music all on its own, crushing your eardrums with six string verocity while filling your heart with total blackness. Spiculum Iratus is not holding anything back here. This band is not here to dazzle you with haunting keyboards or flowery melodies. They just come straight at you attacking every nerve pummeling the senses with aggressive intensity. Songs like "Scolls of the Dead" just consume the listener while envoking a serious sense of dread and anger. Other great tracks on this side of the split are "Perdition", "Sky Burial Requiem", and "The Seventh Day of Wrath". The production on this split is good, not great, but good for what the band is trying to achieve. The album also flows very nicely as the musical arrangements are in top order.

Band
    Bestial Incarnation

Origin
    United States of America

Members
    Seregul - Vocals, Lyrics (Algiz) (US)
    A. - Guitar
    Impious - Guitars (Spiculum Iratus)
    Anihilator - Drums (session for Algiz) (US)

Style
    Black Metal

Highlights
    Featuring the guitarist from Spiculum Iratus we jump onto the second half of the split with Bestial Incarnation. And right out of gates is the blasting darkness of the song "Dominated Abhorrence". The eerie and blackened feel of this song reminds me a lot of early Marduk. Again, very good use of the vocals although not quite as easy to hear like that in SI but still very effective. Seregul's vocals are absolutely blood curdleling as he screams like a lyrical assassin. The flow and chemistry of this band is excellent and without flaw. The self titled "Bestial Incarnation" continues the bloodbath of hatred with chaotic lunacy. Again, this part of the album flows very nicely from one song to another. "Opprobrium Bestowed Upon the Sub-Humans" is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Its just unrelentless and searing with punishing musicianship. The song arrangements of this song are outstanding and perfect. The final two tracks "Divinity Scorned" and "Eradicating the Human Race" continue the onslaught of merciless aggression. Certainly a highlight for me in 2007 i would highly recommend anyone to pick this album up at your own risk. If you like black metal smashing and caving your face in than this split is the way to go. With both bands paying homage to the tradition of old school black metal Spiculum Iratus & Bestial Incarnation are a nice bit of cold and gasping air in a sea of mediocrity.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Strapping Young Lad- City (1996)

Origins
    Strapping Young Lad was formed in 1994 and founded by lead madman Devin Townsend.

Members
    Devin Townsend- Vocals, Guitar
    Jed Simon- Guitar
    Byron Stroud- Bass
    Gene Hoglan- Drums

Style
    A mixture of thrash/industrial

Highlights
    Its no secret about my passion for Devin Townsend and his work and there is logic to my reasoning. Devin and the music he creates exemplifies everything that i love about music in general. It can be in a somewhat classic rock vibe, a thrash vibe, a bluesy vibe, or just plain old pop rock. And it is with this that Devin simply unleashes all the fury and frustration of everyday life which in turn becomes Strapping Young Lad. The opener is a blasting and upbeat intro that opens up a astral gateway to the madness that awaits you. Then the song All Hail the New Flesh is one of the most ferocious and earth pounding songs on this record. It totally numbs you with a sonic boom as if you had just witnessed a earthquake. with a opening lyric Hey man, im going to **** this shit up you know you are in store for a wild and crazy ride. The band is truly at the top of its game here and while Devin and Jed rip open your lungs with their screeching guitar riffs, Hoglan is crushing the atomsphere with his immortal drum playing. The way that Devin screams on this song makes you envision yourself losing your soul which is trying to escape your very own carcass.

The song Oh My ******* God opens up with a narration ( perhaps taken from a movie? ) while the riffs come crashing on you like waves of thunder and all the while Devin sings so fast that it almost becomes incoherent.Other parts of his vocals on here feel as if Devin is heeving up his internal organs. The keyboards add a nice touch to this song as well especially towards the end where it feels as if a bunch of ants are crawling all over you. By far my favorite song not only on this album but of all time is Detox. The amount of energy that Devin and the boys create here is overwhelming and powerful. Using a basic chug riffing at the beginning it takes no time for the rest of the band to jump in and create havoc. Without a doubt this song was made for moshing and i cant keep myself from continuely headbanging to this classic. It seems that Devin has poured a lot of energy and emotion into this song as if he was screaming for help only to meet frustration. My favorite part of the song is during the break and Devin jumps into this lyrical passage How, did i get here tonight?, what am i looking for?, how did i reach this state?, how did i lose my sight?, Im lost. Im freaking. and everybody knows, everyone watching. So here's, all my hopes and aspirations, nothing but puke, God, its so lonely This passage speaks volumes not only in this song but to me as a person. i cant help but get emotional while listening to it. There are many songs that people listen to unleash their frustration, anger, and sadness and this song is one of them.

Underneath the Waves has a rip like riff from the get go and it reminds me a bit of early Megadeth which can never be a bad thing. This is probably one of the more chaotic songs on this album in terms of riff arrangement. Listening to this song it is so amazing to see how Devin can keep up his vocal range as he has long drawn out screams of chaotic lunacy. The keyboards are a very nice touch at the break point giving the listener a sense that maybe a brooding war is about to commence. The song is just unrelentless from start to finish and i wouldnt change a ******* THING ABOUT IT. Probably the most diverse and odd song on this record is Room 429. Starting out with a creepy keyboard sound much in the likes of King Diamond Devin starts to kick out his dark and morbid vocals. One can get a sense from this song that Devin is maybe sounding like a very twisted version of Captain Howdy. Even some of the background vocals remind me of movie scores like The Omen or The Amityville Horror. It has that creepy sound yet is almost laughable at the same time. The band has a lot of energy and chemistry and it shows throughout this record.

Problems
    If there are any problems on this record i cant find any. This is Devin and crew at their most extreme and excellence.

Final Thought
    This album will forever be a landmark in this band's career and a ode to the emotional turmoil that we all suffer while we continue our journey in life. There are many other albums and styles that Devin has created but this is one that truly stands out. For anyone who hasnt had the opportunity to check out Devin's work this would be a great starting place.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Esqarial- Discoveries (2001)

Origins
    Founded in 1991 and hails from Poland touring with the likes of Vader and Krisiun.

Members
    Pajak- Guitars & Vocals
    Vitt- Guitars
    Lud- Bass
    Bart- Drums

Style
    Esqarial plays a blend of progressive/technical death metal.

Highlights
    Every once in a while you come across a album that will just blow you away and jog your memory of why you became a metalhead to begin with. Such is the case with Esqarial, the band seems to be on a mission to help restore death metal as kings of the throne much like their other Polish brethren Decapitated and Vader. The Opening track ' World in Flames ' is just laced with dual guitar solos from Pajak and Vitt that mezmerize you into surreal landscape of eternal beauty. You say, why is this in my death metal! fear not my friends, the unholy aggression is all there but it is the outstanding guitar work that is what embodies this band. The aggressive nature of the band is done in a similiar vein of Morbid Angel. Somehow the band with their guitar playing cross the boundaries between Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and a sound somewhat derived from Testament yet also give the listener a somewhat classic rock feeling. This could be why it would be so easy for this band to become a power metal band if it wantedtoo.

Songs like ' Travel in Lust ' which is one of the instrumentals on this album comes across serene and angelic like. Esqarial is also careful not to become to technical and this is what seperates the band from the likes of Decapitated and bands like Theory in Practice. It is the emotional roller coaster that the band seeks to convey to the listener. My favorite track off the album is ' Sacred War '. A very pumped up tune that comes right at you and blisters the listener like a scorching hot day. The riffs are outstanding here as the band truly shows its death metal colors here. Towards the end of the solo break the band kick into a semi-spanish acoustical and then revert back to the main riffing. The fifth track ' Nightmare ' has a dark and melodic intro reminding me somewhat of old Atrophy but done with the ever so popular Eyptian sound. The song has a very cold and dark vibe about it creating a sense of dread within it. Again, Vitts and Pajak's solo work is astounding which adds a somber feeling to the mood the song creates.

Around track seven comes ' Atlantis ' another head turner. The band pummels out the riffs and carnage holding nothing back. Using quick licks throughout the song while Pajak bellows out his deathly growls. The song ' True Lies ' adds yet another element to this bands resume as it is filled with a sort of folk sounding riffing. The End of the cd is where the listener gets a real treat. The song ' Guitar Explosions ' is a nine and half minute musical journey that sweeps the listener into a light and beautiful barrage of emotion. Simply put, Discoveries dares to take death metal where so many few fear to tread.

Problems
    Although lyrically, Esqarial doesnt astound you nor does bassist Lud or drummer Bart but as with all machines you need every part to be effective and with this pair of guitarists it all works out with its own fine chemistry.

Final Thought
    Esqarial is without a doubt taking a que from other progressive death bands like Opeth but have essentially dubbed a style all their own. They have become one of my new favorite bands and are severely underrated and have not garnered the attention they absolutely deserve. It is in my honest opinion that Esqarial will be a force to reckon with.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Thanks for the kind words Skinny, Tuft, and Slick. \m/

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Dismember- Like An Everflowing Stream (1991)

Dismember- Like An Everflowing Stream

Members
    Matti Kärki - Vocals
    David Blomqvist - Lead Guitar
    Robert Sennebäck - Rhythm Guitar
    Richard Cabeza - Bass
    Fred Estby - Drums

Style
    Death Metal

Track Listing
    1. Override of the Overture
    2. Soon to be Dead
    3. Bleed for Me
    4. And So is Life
    5. Dismembered
    6. Skin Her Alive
    7. Sickening Art
    8. In Death's Sleep
    9. Deathevocation*
    10. Defective Decay*
    11. Torn Apart*
    12. Justifiable Homicide*

The Verdict
    Having done the research of reading up on these blokes it wouldnt take long for one to understand what they are all about. Having members who have played amongst other musicians such as Nicke Andersson and Michael Amott its easy to see why this band has the reputation they do. Recorded at the legendary Sunlight Studio many will hear the trademark guitar crunch first heard on Entombed's "Left Hand Path" which had been recorded there previous to this album. To some extent this is the problem with the record and why so many bands had a hard time getting signed to labels such as Earache around this time.

Earache had even stated that since none of the other Swedish bands around that time could outdo "Left Hand Path' it was a waste of time for them to sign anymore bands. Never the less Dismember went ahead with their recording and created a great record in their own right. Estby is just flat out amazing here blasting away on the drums. Dismember as a whole hit you much harder and faster avoiding the sometimes drawn out riffs from their metal brethren Entombed on their debut. But again, the vocal work is eerily too much like L.G. Petrov and thus the copycat comparison is just unavoidable here.

Some would also say that Thomas Skogsberg was somewhat to blame for the similiarities that most bands around this time shared with Entombed. But since Skogsberg was really the only death metal producer at this time and because the sound is distinct and thunderous bands preferred to go this route. It was only later that bands like Grave and Unleashed went to other studios located elsewhere to avoid falling under Entombed umbrella. But as i previously stated, Dismember does fuel a lot of furious playing here. Songs like "Bleed for Me" are a prime reason that death metal during this period kept people in general in awe of its sheer brutality. There's nothing technical about this album, but it was never meant to be. This album within itself was fresh and new to the scene in general.

Even the subtle use of keyboards fits perfectly here. Some of the other classic tracks on this record are "Skin Her Alive", "Sickening Art", "Deathevocation"*, and "Torn Apart"*. One thing that i can appreciate from this time period was the very raw sound that these bands were able to create. I love polished productions and even though these recordings are polished they were able to keep the raw and distinct guitar sounds without making the final product cloudy or messy. Although by today's standards the songs sound simplistic the envelope everything that is death metal. Without this nothing else would of existed, there would of been no blueprint to go by. Add in how young these guys were when they created this its just simply amazing how dynamic and
    creative these youngsters were.

Everything flows perfectly here from the vocals all way down to the guitar solos. The transitions from song to song is nearly flawless. Although i had heard some of this bands music back in 97' and even as recent as 08' it just cannot compare to the delicious entree they served from the get go from the Swedish Invasion so many years ago. Regardless of the all to familiar and similiar qualities to Entombed at the time they still managed to do enough to separate themselves from the pack. Even the image they used managed to get them some noteriety when they were stopped at customs because their album content was too "questionable". And this piece of metal history is what it is all about my friends. When you think of death metal, this is the way you do it. It may have taken me 17 years to finally sit down and listen to this but i can assure you i am going to the nearest record store and purchasing this classic as we speak.

------------------------------------------
    *Bonus Tracks
    Last edited by Northman; 07-08-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Mastodon- Crack the Skye

Members
    Troy Sanders - Bass, Vocals, Bass Synth
    Brent Hinds - Lead Guitar, Vocals, Banjo
    Bill Kelliher - Guitar
    Brann Dailor - Drums, Vocals, Percussion

Style
    Technical/Progressive Metal

Track Listing
    1. Oblivion
    2. Divinations
    3. Quintessence
    4. The Czar
    5. Ghost of Karelia
    6. Crack the Skye
    7. The Last Baron

The Verdict
    So what is it that makes a band different? What is it that separates one from the rest of the pack? How can a musician or band remain memorable not only during their career but afterwards when all is said and done? Perhaps ingenuity, creativeness, or just sheer guts to step out of bounds from the norm. And with "Crack the Skye" Mastodon have once again pushed the limits and boundaries of their music. Mastodon in its simplest terms is like the catapillar that has slowly morphed its way out of its cocoon with bright colors and ultrasonic sounds. Once again Sanders and company have gone out of their way to explore even more territory than on their greatest achievement "Blood Mountain".

Starting off with the song "Oblivion" it doesnt take long for the listener to understand they are not getting the run of the mill record nor are they getting "Blood Mountain II" either. Nope, its quite clear from the get go that Mastodon have gone in a more melodic and harmonic state with even more experimentation musically. One thing that i absolutely love from Mastodon with not only this record but the last is that they dont shy away from the retro sound of classic rock n roll from the 60's and 70's. They are unafraid to incorporate their inspirations without becoming to copycat or run of the mill. Its one thing for a band to show skillsets and expertise playing. Its another thing entirely when the band does it with style. And Mastodon is one of the very few right now in this day and age that doesnt need to do a solo every 5 seconds to show off their talent.

If i had to be perfectly honest, i dont like this album as much as "Blood Mountain". Mainly because the boys have somewhat strayed away from using more harsh vocal arrangements or crunching riff patterns as on previous efforts. This isnt an album so much for brutality as it is for musical exploration and insight. Although i do believe "Crack the Skye" is just the tip of the iceberg into what these guys plan to do im still hoping that the next record will have a somewhat return to form with some of the more crunchier guitar and vocal tone. But, this album is also a lot of fun and full of exotic noisescapes that right now can only be matched by the band Cynic.

Its hard to believe the transcendal progression that this band has taken since its incarnation so many moons ago. The cleverness and originality that Mastodon bring is what will eventually make them legends in the genre. For once they were clouded among the scourge of the nu-metal chaos that surrounds them yet they found a way to overcome that separating themselves from not only those bands but the other bands from the underground. Mastodon seem to go into every album and continue to challenge themselves musically and never shy away from that task. With songs like "The Czar", "Ghost of Karelia", "The Last Baron", and "Divinations" they continue to push the boundaries of music.

So although overall i still prefer the acclaimed "Blood Mountain" to this release "Crack the Skye" is still a very solid effort that leaves this band with a very promising future. Mastodon dont pull any punches and have zero restrictions on themselves when creating an album. And make no mistake, just like Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie James Dio, Type O Negative, and King Diamond. Your never going to mistake who this band is when hearing them on the radio. They have that originality and uniqueness about them that cant be missed. They have cornered a sound that simply cannot be replicated by any other band. And that my friends is why this band will be around long after they slew of metal and rock bands are gone. Mastodon keep pushing the envelope from album to album and musically and creativity wise they are just getting better.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Suicidal Tendencies- The Art of Rebellion

Members
    Mike Clark: Guitar
    Josh Freese: Drums
    Rock George: Guitar
    Mike Muir: Vocals
    Robert Trujillo: Bass

Style
    Thrash/Crossover/Punk

Track Listing
    1. Can't Stop
    2. Accept my Sacrifice
    3. Nobody Hears
    4. Tap into the Power
    5. Monopoly on Sorrow
    6. We Call this Mutha Revenge
    7. I Wasn't Meant to Feel This/Asleep at the Wheel
    8. Gotta Kill Captain Stupid
    9. I'll Hate You Better
    10. Which Way to Free?
    11. It's Going Down
    12. Where's the Truth

The Verdict
    The influence that Punk had on metal is very well known throughout its history. And although Suicidal Tendencies wasnt a leader in that movement they were able to showcase their diversity throughout their career which would eventually lead them full circle back to their roots. However, during the late 80's and early 90's ST began their exploration into the metal genre with their acclaimed album "How Will i Laugh Tomorrow, If i Cant Even Smile Today". That album showcased the promise that this band could step outside their boundaries as a punk band and create a great crossover record. With "The Art of Rebellion", ST dives even deeper down into their collective minds and experiment even further. On this record they have almost a progressive or avant-garde side to their music. And although this record doesnt sit on just genre or style it would be the last in what would be the true exploration of the band's direction as they would eventually go back to their classic punk style.

One thing that distinguishes ST from a good portion of the punk scene are Mike Muir's vocal arrangements and lyrics. If there was ever a singer that made you think he was tripping on acid 24/7 it would of been Muir (See no further than the opening of "Asleep at the Wheel"). Overall, this album is not perfect by any means. But, there are a good chunk of songs on here that carry this album to star status very easily. The playing on this album by guitarists Mike Clark and Rocky George are outstanding with their dueling solo work and harmonic melodies. Robert Trujillo (Infectious Grooves, Metallica) on bass exemplifies why his reputation is what it is. And despite some of the progressive riff patterns, melodies, acoustics, and punkish vocals there is still plenty of great thrash riffage throughout this record to even appease the thrash metal fanatics.

This album is full of different styles and unique arrangements as well as the witty and clever lyrics that Muir spews out throughout it. No, your not getting Slayer's "Reign in Blood" here but what you are getting is a funky and psychedelic bashfest with an exceptional performance by some very talented young men. Tracks like "Cant Stop", "Accept my Sacrifice", and "Which Way to Free?" showcase their edgy and more straight forward thrash compositions. While songs like "Monopoly of Sorrow", and "Asleep at the Wheel" show more of the acoustic harmony the band presents. And then of course there are melodic tracks like "Nobody Hears", and "Ill Hate you Better" that are just exceptional pieces of work. Both songs feature some of the best soloing ive ever heard both in technicality and emotion.

Ironically, despite the hypnotic melodies and atomspheric solo arrangements you can get a sense that underneath all the beauty here is a creeping vibe of anger which is expressed through Muir's performance and vocal sarcasm. Although there could of been some songs left off this record its still a must for any ST fan and fans of experimental and progressive metal. The mixture and musical arrangements that the boys here have put forth is easy flowing and the acoustic touches are perfect in every way shape and form. Truthfully, there's no way to truly explain what this album is how it will make you feel so i will leave it to Muir to himself to explain it.

What's he saying?

Yeah...just...a little...closer...

What's he doing?

It was, I know, by the corner...yeah
    Sitting in the darkness...yeah
    I didn't see it, but I know
    It tries to hide sometimes, he he he
    But it can't fool me...no
    Because I had this thing, it's the way I see
    The way I see when my eyes are closed
    A conscenception of misconception
    It's really quite, shall we say...
    The really beautiful thing!
    This is certain things that I've come to find
    In my communications that never existed
    Certain understandings that I've come to realize...yeah
    But I don't believe it...no
    Not for second!
    It wasn't really truthful in the ways that I, that I, that I, that...
    They're here right now...yeah

I wasn't meant to feel this...
    I wasn't meant to feel this way

Last edited by Northman; 07-13-2009 at 12:08 PM.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

August Burns Red has a new album called Constellations coming out tomorrow. Can't wait to pick it up.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Devin Townsend- Terria

Members
    Devin Townsend - Guitars, Vocals, Keyboards, Ambience, Samples
    Craig McFarland - Fretless Bass
    Jamie Meyer - Keyboards, Piano
    Gene Hoglan - Drums

Style
    Progressive Rock/Metal

Track Listing
    1. Olives
    2. Mountain
    3. Earth Day
    4. Deep Peace
    5. Canada
    6. Down and Under
    7. The Fluke
    8. Nobody's Here
    9. Tiny Tears
    10. Stagnant

The Verdict
    Devin Townsend, certainly a very unique individual with a flare to constantly adapt and shake things up no matter what project he may be a part of. Whether its producing albums or creating them with his numerous projects one thing is for certain. The man can not be pigeon holed into any one particular genre. He can do just about anything he puts his mind up too and for me on this record certainly holds true. The reason i chose to review this particular album is simple. Although it doesnt hold the comedic feeling of "Ziltoid" or the scientific induced craziness of "Physicist". Nope, "Terria" to me holds something even more special. It has ATMOSPHERE. Sure, you can hear atmosphere probably on any particular song in Devin's long storied catalog of songs but never one whole particular album.

Im not just talking about a certain sound either. Nope, im talking about genuine atmosphere encased in cloudscapes of bizarre and beautiful arrangements of thought provoking music. I often compare this album to a Pink Floyd album based off this feeling and emotion when listening to this record. Devin's ability to experiment and toy with the listener just shows how underrated as a musician he really is. Dont get me wrong, "Terria" has plenty of bite that SYL fans will still love but he is able to incorporate it to work in the structure that he has put together here. Take a track like "Mountain" for example. The song starts out with a thunderous boom but then becomes layered with the harmonic vocals of Devin and company. Midway through the song it takes a progressive leap of unsuspecting proportions before returning to Devin's high scream and the thunderous booming again. All the while he continues to have mixed different sounds behind the music itself for added effect.

The next track "Earth Day" is a more peppy 8 minute or so song that continues with the common theme of the album. "Deep Peace" is a more mellow tune but features what i think is some of the best things that Devin does on his albums to incorporate into his music. Just like the Star Trek solo from "Material" and the horse screeching of "We Ride" Devin is able to mix in the sound of orcas singing behind the music being presented to you which to me adds a surreal effect. Not to leave out the outstanding solo work done by Devin this song is one of my favorites off this record. With "Canada" Devin continues to add crazy and unique sounds while still keeping the songs intact and without drawing any attention away from the main riffs and lyrical content. Something i feel that Pink Floyd was able to master throughout their career hence the comparison. By far my favorite song on this album is "The Fluke" which is also the heaviest on here.

It has the total vibe of SYL but still manages to stay within range of the rest of the tracks and doesnt get lost in the shuffle. The only thing i dont really care about is the useless drag at the end of the song that adds nothing to the song or album. Devin has a tendency to do this on other albums as well which still makes no sense. But then again, this is Devin Townsend we are talking about here. The songs "Nobody's Here" and "Tiny Tears" are excellent and well written ballads that hit home without fault. Again the solo work on "Tiny Tears" is exceptional in every way and really showcases a whole other side to Townsend. Finally, there is "Stagnant" that ends the album very well filled with great lyrical content and more interesting arrangements both vocally and musically throughout. To me, you simply cannot be a progressive fan and not really enjoy this album as it truly reaches outside the boundaries of the ordinary progressive arrangements.

This album doesnt go out and try to wow you with overly technical playing. It (as with most of the music by Townsend) is too create emotion and deep feeling within the writing and playing. To this day, this album is still my favorite outside the SYL circle. I believe it showcases everything that Devin Townsend is as a song writer and performer. As Devin says "Its just entertainment folks!" and this album is very rewarding to the listener. While you will never say that Pink Floyd would actually put an album out like this you will say "Wow, i need to get some LSD and put this record on!" as it is a beautiful and bizarre musical journey that will enlighten the senses in every way. Pretend that your sitting in a IMAX theater and this is the soundtrack, then you will know where im coming from. A perfect masterpiece that just simply cannot be overlooked.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Darkest Hour's new CD (can't think of the name off the top of my head and don't feel like googling it) is AWESOME, as is Constellations by August Burns Red. I also picked up the Devil Wears Prada's newest CD (released this year) and it's badass.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Cathedral- The Ethereal Mirror

Members
    Lee Dorrian - Vocals
    Gary Jennings - Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Bass
    Adam Lehan - Guitars
    Mark Ramsey Wharton - Drums

Style
    Doom Metal

Track Listing
    1. Violet Vortex
    2. Ride
    3. Enter the Worms
    4. Midnight Mountain
    5. Fountain of Innocence
    6. Grim Luxuria
    7. Jaded Entity
    8. Ashes You Leave
    9. Phantasmagoria
    10. Imprisoned in Flesh

The Verdict
    So yea, its been a while since my last review. Call it laziness, call it whatever you want i guess it was time to get back on the horse and write something. This initially wasnt going to be the genre that i was going to review but the boys inspired me a bit with the doom and Gloom feel this week with the Dolorian and My Dying Bride reviews. So here i am taking us back again to one of the first doom albums that i truly got into despite not really having a total understanding of what it was or what it was about and Cathedral was that band for me. I initially got interested in Cathedral because of the connection between singer Lee Dorrian and the band Napalm Death for whom he used to sing for. Obviously, when picking up their debut "Forest of Equilibrium" it was a bit of a shock at how the music was a far cry from what ND were doing. So needless to say it was an interesting experience hearing the sludgier riffs and slowed down tempo of the songs they created.

Although "Forest of the Equilibrium" had a few good tracks on it i sort of brushed it off until i heard "The Ethereal Mirror". On this record the band got far more creative and in some ways got a little more progressive ala Mastodon in their approach. But no, not to the point where you could throw them in the progressive genre. But their vibe picked up more with an almost psychedelic touch with songs like "Ride" and "Midnight Mountain". And if you've ever seen a video from this band you would almost leave thinking they were from the 60's and 70's by their stage antics and dress attire. Dorrian and crew are an absolute mind**** both lyrically and performance wise. But it works and the music they incorporate here is outstanding inventive. My favorite track "Fountain of Innocence" has the before mentioned psychedelic/under water sounding vocals with the retro-ish guitar sounds from Jennings and Lehan. Obviously, my favorite part is at the 3:10 mark when Dorrian goes into a full blown clean vocal arrangement followed by a great acoustic setup. The song overall has the standard ballad type feeling but is an exceptional peice of work.

Songs like "Grim Luxuria" and "Phantasmagoria" get more thunderous and crunchy in their format. The album finishes up with a little nice acoustic piece called "Imprisoned in Flesh". Although i am one to be more impressed and interested in the darker more atomspheric doom metal that is out there i can certainly appreciate what band like Cathedral do because they leave it all out on the field and leave no stone unturned. They are not afraid to travel into unknown territory to create their music using every bit of their influences along the way. The musicians are very carefree and do not care where it takes them musically and sometimes along their career it hasnt panned out but in other moments it has helped them create some brillant work. I dont necessarily consider "The Ethereal Mirror" to be a classic but there are some really good and strong songs on this record that epitomize's what doom is about. Whatever the case the guys in Cathedral have figured it out and execute it well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Spiculum Iratus- Summa Anti-Theologica

Members
    Os Miserum- Vocals
    Entity Savnok- Bass
    Impious- Guitars
    L- Guitars
    Decadence- Drums

Style
    Black Metal

Track Listing
    1. Prolegomena
    2. Orations Recited Through the Mouths of the Jawless
    3. The Miracle of Malignity
    4. Dismantle of the Sensus Divinitatus
    5. St. Mlesna
    6. Expurgated Omnipotence

The Verdict
    Hard to believe it's already been 2 years since the brilliant debut from Spiculum Iratus on their split album with Bestial Incarnation. But, the boys from southern cal have not disappointed with their new opus "Summa Anti Theologica". But, there have been some changes on this record where as on the split they were a three piece with bassist Savnok doing the vocals they now have five members with Os Miserum taking over the vocal duties. I must say, even though Miserum does a admirable job here i still prefer the vocals of Savnok as he has a much more brooding and blood shrieking delivery. Not too mention on this record Miserum's vocals seem a bit muddied which could have been the goal with the production but it has way too much of a echo which to me hurts the music more than helps.

But thats really my only complaint on this record and thankfully the band separates themselves with the music itself. Music wise the band still delivers high quality musicianship with earth pounding riffs and easy flowing arrangements. As with the previous effort SI's music just suffocates you with darkness and terror. They are truly exceptional at at mixing a sense of melody without making it a primary focus of the song writing, instead giving it a underlying feeling with the relentless guitar and drum attack. Although the drums could of used a little more power here it also doesn't drown out the primary focus of the guitars. All of which goes a long way to showcase every aspect of the band. Some of the best tracks on here are "The Miracle of Malignity", "St. Mlesna", and "Expurgated Omnipotence" with the latter being one of the most devastating closing songs ive ever heard.

Indeed, the future seems quite bright for these gentlemen. Although not quite a masterpiece just yet they are getting very close and its quite exciting to see what they will come up with next. Without a doubt they are one of the leaders in the USBM scene in a sea of pretenders and wannabe's. If you like your black metal raw, unrelentless, and filled with the blood of tradition make sure you get out and lend this band your ear, literally. Let their shroud of darkness envelope you and give you a glimpse into the world of the apocalypse and the aftermath that it creates.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information