Thread: "Crazy Legs" Kyle

Default "Crazy Legs" Kyle

Oct 3, 2010 7:00 pm US/Central
    "Crazy Legs" Kyle

DENVER, CO. (Vic Lombardi, CBS4) - You're asking Kyle Orton to play football with one arm tied behind his back. Thankfully, it's not his right arm.

But how on earth are you supposed to run an NFL offense without a running game - without even the threat of a running game? Not exactly sure. See Kyle Orton versus Tennessee.

Against the Titans on Sunday, the Broncos ran the ball 20 times for 19 yards. The leading rusher happened to be "Crazy Legs" Kyle - 3 carries for 11 yards. You know you're running game is hurting when you're asking Orton to ram his way to a first down. And yet, he got it done. 4th and an inch - he got two.

The man was sacked a season-high six times. The hard-charging Titans had him running for his life. And yet, he got it done.

It's time to consider Kyle Orton an upper-echelon quarterback in this league. Don't snicker. The stats don't lie. Not only does Orton lead the league in passing, no one outside of Kurt Warner has thrown for more yards in the first four games of a season. He's averaging more passing yards per game (355) than Vince Young has produced all year. And he's doing all this without the benefit of a ground game. None. Zip. Somebody might want to crunch the numbers, but this might be the worst ground attack (can you honestly call it an attack?) in the history of Broncos football.

Some people say, "Big deal. Just throw the ball every time". Great idea - if you wanna get your quarterback hurt! The Broncos are lucky the Titans didn't get a clean shot on Orton yesterday. They certainly had plenty of chances. Truth is, when you can't run the ball, the defense is at liberty to pin its ears back and bring the pain. You can only throw so many bubble screens to fend off that kind of pressure. At some point, you have to be able to keep the defense honest with a run or two - preferably the kind that go forward.

We all know why the Broncos can't run. You say Maroney, I say Moreno, but it's not the running backs. It's the O-line. The All-Pro left tackle is playing hurt. The left guard is playing hurt. The right tackle is still hurt. The center is a rookie. And the right guard may as well be a rookie. How do you expect to churn out any rushing yards behind that?

I'm here to tell you, it'll get better. Those injuries will eventually heal. Clady will eventually regain confidence in his knee. Harris will soon be able to push-off on that sore ankle. Given time, the linemen will get healthy again. Maybe it doesn't happen until week six. Or week 8. But it's only a matter of time before the Broncos gain some ground on the ground.

Imagine how good Orton will be then?

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Orton saved McDaniels from a career crippling loss on Sunday, without a doubt. If the Broncs lost that game and went 1-3, the season was a writeoff. The fact that the team's RB managed less than 1 ypc at the same time as Peyton Hillis was singlehandedly winning a game for Cleveland (while Brady Quinn was the third string QB in Denver) would have been too much ammunition for Josh's enemies. Not to mention Hillis FB blocking talents on a day where Orton was sacked 6 times with a converted TE filling in at FB. I don't think McDaniels could have recovered from that. Not in Denver, in any case.

thats a pretty funny article jrwiz. i love "crazy legs", made me laugh! however, it does make me very nervous that the run game is completely non existent at this point. wether its the line or the backs, i just want them to get thier arses in gear and get it going. it pretty pathetic at this point and orton will get killed this comming week if they dont figure something out.

5. The Following User High Fived smith49 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I coined that phrase first! LOL

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Orton saved McDaniels from a career crippling loss on Sunday, without a doubt.
    The only thing that will affect McDaniels career is Bowlen's opinion of how he's doing his job. I doubt we'll see Josh leaving Dove valley in the next two years and that's if things go really bad this year.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Orton saved McDaniels from a career crippling loss on Sunday, without a doubt. If the Broncs lost that game and went 1-3, the season was a writeoff. The fact that the team's RB managed less than 1 ypc at the same time as Peyton Hillis was singlehandedly winning a game for Cleveland (while Brady Quinn was the third string QB in Denver) would have been too much ammunition for Josh's enemies. Not to mention Hillis FB blocking talents on a day where Orton was sacked 6 times with a converted TE filling in at FB. I don't think McDaniels could have recovered from that. Not in Denver, in any case.
    And then you have this perspective - none of which has anything to do with Orton saving McDaniels, Hillis in Cleveland, etc.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_16252980

I can't believe the Broncos are 2-2 without a running game. Eight rushing yards by running backs against the Titans, and they won? Are McDaniels and the Broncos thinking outside the box (literally) to prove that you don't need a running game to win in the NFL? That would change everything.
    -- Scott, Denver

Running doesn't win in the NFL. You can't get there from here running the ball. Chris Johnson rushed for 2,006 yards last year and the Titans finished 8-8. Indianapolis ranked 32nd in rushing last year and were a 5-point favorite in the Super Bowl.

New Orleans, the defending Super Bowl champs, only ran the ball last year to give their receivers a breather and run out the clock in the fourth quarter. Those are the only two reasons, by the way, why a team needs to run as we move into the second decade of the 21st century — keep the receivers legs fresh and run out the fourth-quarter clock with a lead.

Blame the insignificance of a running attack on all these freak athletes on defense. Nose tackles like Jamal Williams are 350 pounds, strong as a bull and quick as a cat. Linebackers like D.J. Williams are 240 pounds, strong enough to mash the run and fast enough to cover Chris Johnson on pass patterns out of the backfield. Safeties like Brian Dawkins can cover a tight end, but more importantly load up like a linebacker to stop the run and blitz the quarterback.

The only way to avoid those physical specimens is to spread them out and throw the ball to where skill players have space. Granted, 8 yards on 17 carries from the backs is unacceptable. The Broncos have to do better than that.

But the reason the running game has to get better is so it can help their play-action passing game.

And they will improve. The Broncos will get better because their line will better. Their inexperienced
    Kyle Orton may have been running for his life against the Titans on Sunday. But he led the Broncos in rushing yards. More photos. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)
    blockers (J.D. Walton, Stanley Daniels) will improve with each additional game of experience and their banged-up veterans (Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris) will improve as they get healthier.

There's a chance the Broncos could start becoming at least an adequate running team after their bye week in early November. Just in time for winter.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Orton is playing some damn good ball and has the full confidence of the head coach. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him chap some ass on the field when the teams rushes and fails.

Methinks he got the guards reversed. RG is injures, not LG. And the LG is almost like a rookie. Otherwise, I agree. Pass to get the lead, run late to burn the clock. Indy/NO/NE have been successful at it.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

13. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by smith49 View Post
    thats a pretty funny article jrwiz. i love "crazy legs", made me laugh! however, it does make me very nervous that the run game is completely non existent at this point. wether its the line or the backs, i just want them to get thier arses in gear and get it going. it pretty pathetic at this point and orton will get killed this comming week if they dont figure something out.
    You wrote the same thought I was going to post. Until they get to the point
    where they can provide Orton with SOME protection, be it through the running
    game and/or pass protection, I am going to be a bundle of raw nerves for Orton . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

15. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    And then you have this perspective - none of which has anything to do with Orton saving McDaniels, Hillis in Cleveland, etc.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_16252980

I can't believe the Broncos are 2-2 without a running game. Eight rushing yards by running backs against the Titans, and they won? Are McDaniels and the Broncos thinking outside the box (literally) to prove that you don't need a running game to win in the NFL? That would change everything.
    -- Scott, Denver

Running doesn't win in the NFL. You can't get there from here running the ball. Chris Johnson rushed for 2,006 yards last year and the Titans finished 8-8. Indianapolis ranked 32nd in rushing last year and were a 5-point favorite in the Super Bowl.

New Orleans, the defending Super Bowl champs, only ran the ball last year to give their receivers a breather and run out the clock in the fourth quarter. Those are the only two reasons, by the way, why a team needs to run as we move into the second decade of the 21st century — keep the receivers legs fresh and run out the fourth-quarter clock with a lead.

Blame the insignificance of a running attack on all these freak athletes on defense. Nose tackles like Jamal Williams are 350 pounds, strong as a bull and quick as a cat. Linebackers like D.J. Williams are 240 pounds, strong enough to mash the run and fast enough to cover Chris Johnson on pass patterns out of the backfield. Safeties like Brian Dawkins can cover a tight end, but more importantly load up like a linebacker to stop the run and blitz the quarterback.

The only way to avoid those physical specimens is to spread them out and throw the ball to where skill players have space. Granted, 8 yards on 17 carries from the backs is unacceptable. The Broncos have to do better than that.

But the reason the running game has to get better is so it can help their play-action passing game.

And they will improve. The Broncos will get better because their line will better. Their inexperienced
    Kyle Orton may have been running for his life against the Titans on Sunday. But he led the Broncos in rushing yards. More photos. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)
    blockers (J.D. Walton, Stanley Daniels) will improve with each additional game of experience and their banged-up veterans (Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris) will improve as they get healthier.

There's a chance the Broncos could start becoming at least an adequate running team after their bye week in early November. Just in time for winter.
    Using the Colts as an example of how you don't need a running game is misleading due to the fact that they have a HoF QB & one of the most lethal receiving cores I've seen in over 30 years of watching football. By the way Joseph Addai does average 3.9 yards per carry. That means that even though he is far from an elite RB, he is producing superior numbers compared to our RBs.

Now I have a question for you, how did the 2 teams that have beaten the Colts this year done so? Note that I separate non QB & QB rushing attempts most, but not all, QB rushes were originally called passing play. I'd have to watch the actual game film to determine were called runs and were were called passes that became runs.

Jacksonville: 30 non-QB rushing attempts, 22 passing attempts & 5 QB rushing attempts.

Houston: 39 non-QB rushing attempts, 17 passing attempts (19 if you include the 2 sacks as called pass plays) & 3 QB kneel downs.

What about the two teams that have lost to the Colts?

Denver: 16 non-QB rushing attempts, 57 passing attempts (58 if you include the 1 sack as a called pass play) & 1 QB rushing attempt.

New York Giants: 24 non-QB rushing attempts, 24 passing attempts (28 if you include the 4 sacks as called pass plays) & 1 QB rushing attempt.

For the record, how did the Colts beat the Giants? 40 non-QB rushing attempts, 26 passing attempts (27 if you include the 1 sack as a called pass) & 3 QB kneel downs.

It appears to me that your theory that you have to throw the ball to win in the NFL has not held up in any of the 4 games that the Colts have played so far this year.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Default Well, the two games Orton has thrown over 50 pass..

...they lost one and were lucky to win the other. I don't think there is a magic bullet to guarantee winning. Whichever team executes the best overall wins, not the one that dominates a single statistical category. You don't have to look further than last night's game between the Pats and the Dolphins. Brady had one of the quietest passing games of his career, Moss didn't catch a single pass, and the team won in a landslide.

18. The Following User High Fived robert ethan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

No Broncos fan thought KO would be playing like this.

If the running game and OLine improve, watch out.

Denver could be AFC elite.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

20. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

i wouldnt had wrote off the season at 1-3 after seeing us go 6-0 while the chargers were like 1-3 or 2-3 or what not.....Look how that ended....they won like 10 games in a row lol. we went 2-8. its not how you start its how you finish. the key to the broncos season is finishing. finishing drives. getting off the field on 3rd downs. which im confident we will do

This Isn't your dads NFL. Every talking head, nfl guy, admits this is a passing league. If a running team doesn't have a passing game and they get behind, its almost impossible to come back. The passing game is being made easier by rules and SMART teams are going to take advantage of them.
    Indy lost to Hou/Jax because they couldn't STOP the run. Most know that D's need to do that and make the team one dimensional. Balls in the air are more likely to get picked. Thats another reason for the short passes by denver, indy, ne, etc.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information