Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How did the Broncos win today?

  1. #1

    Default How did the Broncos win today?

    OK, I missed the game. But looking at the stats, how did the Broncos have the ball for 35 minutes with less than 20 yards rushing?

  2. The Following User High Fived rationalfan For This Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sharkdom of Snowdonia,Wales
    Adopted Bronco:
    Julius Thomas
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    Good question.
    Maybe we pass slow?
    :S
    Or maybe we waste time running backwards?

    2013 Wk 2 Pick'Em Winner Sig by Mastershake

  4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Sharkie For This Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    35,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rationalfan View Post
    OK, I missed the game. But looking at the stats, how did the Broncos have the ball for 35 minutes with less than 20 yards rushing?
    Titans defense spent about as much time in our backfield as our RB's did. They were swarming like crazy.

    Fact is, even with the 19 yards rushing, we should have won by more than we did. They got a kick off return TD. Also, at the end of the half, the Broncos called a time out with 28 seconds left to go and then kicked a field goal, rather than letting the clock wind down to 3 seconds or so and calling the time out, then kicking the field goal. The result is that the Titans had time for a couple quick completions and a field goal.

    10 points they should never have had. Our defense played lights out in this game.


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    35,164

    Default

    Oh, I didn't really answer the time of possession. Along with the 20 carries or so, which burned up some clock, when it was clear we weren't going to be able to run the ball, we had a lot of short throws, screens and such so that we used short passes in place of runs.

  7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Adopted Bronco:
    D.J. Williams // Demaryius Thomas // Shannon Sharpe
    Posts
    263

    Default

    We won ugly. Yet... we won!!!!! No running game ( Orton had more rushing yards than Maroney or Buckhalter ), no special teams ( except at the end, but that was a Titans mistake we managed to take advantage of ), and a pretty solid defense that we managed to keep CJ to almost 60 yds. rushing, which is pretty good.
    But also, the Titans, in second half...overall in offense, pretty bad! We were lucky. But passing 50 times / game, won't help us through rest of the season. We need to run the damn ball!

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    15,107

    Default

    In addition to what Tned said, we also forced a lot of 3 and outs for the titans. So they never had a chance to hold the ball very long.


    We stopped CJ on 1st and 2nd and then they would be in 3rd and long and vince young is not that good of a passer to beat us on 3rd and long. Other teams with better qbs could have smoked us, but alas, VY does not.
    What I want:
    1 Shazier LB. 2 Donte Moncreif WR. 3 SJB CB. 4 Antone exum-s/cb. 5 Brandon Thomas-ol. 6. OL 7 Kapri Bibs RB.

    What I think:

    1.-If Mosley or Shazier is there they take him. If not, trade back with jacksonville (they want a Qb5 yr option)
    2A.- Jimmy Ward S/CB
    2B. Joel Bitonio T/OG
    3. SJB-cb.
    4. Preston Brown LB
    5. Jeff Janis WR
    6. John Brown-wr/kr.
    7. Alfred Blue-rb

  10. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freddy Beach, Canada
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Sprint right option to Buckhalter...

    "Control what you can control. Let everything else take a flying **** at you. And if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing..."

  12. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    1,519

    Default

    We scored more points than the Titans.


    Tned nailed it though in his posts, not much more to add.
    Last edited by Edmonton Bronco Fan; 10-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.

  14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Edmonton Bronco Fan For This Post:


  15. #9

    Default

    Win the TO battle.

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    22,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Titans defense spent about as much time in our backfield as our RB's did. They were swarming like crazy.

    Fact is, even with the 19 yards rushing, we should have won by more than we did. They got a kick off return TD. Also, at the end of the half, the Broncos called a time out with 28 seconds left to go and then kicked a field goal, rather than letting the clock wind down to 3 seconds or so and calling the time out, then kicking the field goal. The result is that the Titans had time for a couple quick completions and a field goal.

    10 points they should never have had. Our defense played lights out in this game.
    This is a pretty good summary, but I would say "Despite a solid defensive effort, we were fortunate to escape with a win" more than "we should have won by more." We were a lot closer to losing than we were winning by a bigger margin IMO. If someone hadn't watched the game and read that "we should have won by more," that might imply that the game wasn't as close as the scoreboard would indicate... When it was a nailbiter down to the last second.

    We were facing a 2nd and 25 at midfield trailing 20-16 with 2 minutes left in the game and benefited from a blatant pass interference call on a bomb to the end zone. Without that, the outcome may have been different.
    Last edited by Buff; 10-03-2010 at 08:32 PM.

  17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    35,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    This is a pretty good summary, but I would say "Despite a solid defensive effort, we were fortunate to escape with a win" more than "we should have won by more." We were a lot closer to losing than we were winning by a bigger margin IMO. If someone hadn't watched the game and read that "we should have won by more," that might imply that the game wasn't as close as the scoreboard would indicate... When it was a nailbiter down to the last second.

    We were facing a 2nd and 25 at midfield trailing 20-16 with 2 minutes left in the game and benefited from a blatant pass interference call on a bomb to the end zone. Without that, the outcome may have been different.
    True but the glass half full view of that was that without the stupid time out to end the half, and without a kick off return for a TD, we would have been running the clock out up 16-10. Now, we all know that there are no if's and buts in football, but when you read the headlines of "Passive Interference call at end of leads to Broncos go ahead score", it just doesn't really tell the story of how the Broncos shut down the Titans offense, especially Johnson, and how the offense was able to move the ball on one of the best defenses in the league.

  19. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    22,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    True but the glass half full view of that was that without the stupid time out to end the half, and without a kick off return for a TD, we would have been running the clock out up 16-10. Now, we all know that there are no if's and buts in football, but when you read the headlines of "Passive Interference call at end of leads to Broncos go ahead score", it just doesn't really tell the story of how the Broncos shut down the Titans offense, especially Johnson, and how the offense was able to move the ball on one of the best defenses in the league.
    True, I guess the main thing I was trying to convey to the people who didn't see the game is that it was was every bit as close and contested as the scoreboard would indicate. Very hard fought and it could have gone either way.

  20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
dedicated servers
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group