Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should The Politics and Religion (P&R) Forums be Opt-In?

Default Should The Politics and Religion (P&R) Forums be Opt-In?

I have had a number of suggestions over the months for P&R to be opt in. Some people would rather not see Religious or Political threads popping up when they click "New Posts", as they don't want to be involved in those discussions, but feel drawn in when the threads show up.

Further, the case has been made that sometimes people intentionally title their P&R threads (especially Politics) to take shots at those with opposing views, so even people that don't go into the thread, have to deal with inflammatory thread titles/subjects showing up when they click "New Posts".

So, backing up a moment. For those not familiar with exactly how the Opt-In forums work. We can designate certain forums Opt-In, as we have done with the Lounge. If you have not opted in, you will see the forum exists, but if you enter the forum, no posts will show up. More importantly, if you click "New Posts" or "Todays Posts", you will not see any of the threads/posts in forums that are Opt-In that you have not joined.

However, once you join (or Opt-In) to any or all of these Opt-In forum, then both when you enter the forum directly, or if you click "New Posts", you will see the new threads/posts, just as you do now.

There are some pretty good arguments for making these forums Opt-In.

First and foremost, this is a football forum, and many football forums don't allow ANY religion or political talk, because they can often become very contentious.

Second, many people simply don't want to or like talking about Religion or Politics and feel they are hit with threads on these topics every time they hit "New Posts", even though they are here to talk about the Broncos.

So, here we go again. I need feedback from as many people as possible. Do you want things to stay as they are now, or turn Politics and/or Religion into Opt-In forums, so that people will not see posts in those forums until they 'choose' to Opt-In and be part of those parts of the message board?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

No. If it bothers someone to see those threads, they can choose not to go in them.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I don't see any downside to making it opt-in. I don't necessarily "get" the objections, but I am a politics junky so its not surprising that I wouldn't.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I don't see any downside to making it opt-in. I don't necessarily "get" the objections, but I am a politics junky so its not surprising that I wouldn't.
    Second that. This is a football forum so I would hate to lose someone who is just here for football because they get caught up in the P&R side, or get offended by it.

However, I don't know if this would really solve the problem. Arguments can still spill over from time to time.

I hate politics. I dont care for it, Im not a registered voter and never will be (keeps me off jury duty). On religion I have my beliefs and I also never open these threads because if they throw my beliefs under the bus it kinda pisses me off. Anyway thats my input.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I don't see any negatives with making it opt-in. So, call this one on favor I guess, although it doesn't really matter to me either way.

9. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I am new, but why would anyone want to be part an idiotic thread called 'How come our military is so stupid?' I don't want to offend the person who started the thread, maybe it was said tongue in cheek and I didn't get the joke. But most old people don't understand humor on the web. I vote for making it opt in please.

It doesn't matter to me Tned....You're the boss man...
    I am of the opinion that if you are not interested do not go into the
    forums!Thats pretty simple really and one I don't think anyone can
    argue with (but I could be wrong on that).

Of course I am a Chiefs fan....so why am I a member here anyway?

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived KCL For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by KCLady View Post
    Of course I am a Chiefs fan....so why am I a member here anyway?
    Because you are smart enough to want to hang with Bronco fans instead, thats why

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

14. The Following 6 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Because you are smart enough to want to hang with Bronco fans instead, thats why

Smart and KC fan at the same time???????????

16. The Following User High Fived GrayWolf For This Post:

KCL

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I think she's a geographical fan. Only a KC fan because of her location.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

KCL, OB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I think she's a geographical fan. Only a KC fan because of her location.
    I have plenty to learn here.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I know, its a tough concept for anyone new, but she really is a first rate poster

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I think it makes sense to make it opt-in. I can certainly see how some people looking for football talk could be offended by some of the titles and discussions happening in the P&R section.

23. The Following 7 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

I know, its a tough concept for anyone new, but she really is a first rate poster
    Says who?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information