Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dan Gronkowski proving to be valuable addition..

Default Dan Gronkowski proving to be valuable addition..

With Brady Quinn yet to see game action, and Laurence Maroney struggling in his first appearance, the best veteran addition via trade route seems to be backup tight end/fullback Dan Gronkowski. Despite having been with the team for less than a month, Gronk has moved ahead of former second round pick Richard Quinn on the depth chart at tight end, and filled in for injured fullback Spencer Larsen in the last game.

The 25 year old second year pro who goes a solid 6-6, 260, should have a future in Denver. Despite entering the NCAA as a quarterback (and former wide receiver), the second eldest Gronkowski brother became a top blocker as a tight end. He has the requisite size, long (34 1/2") arms, and huge (10 3/4") mitts. As a senior he showed he could catch the ball as well, pulling down 29 passes as Maryland's second leading receiver behind Darrius Heyward-Bey, the top drafted wideout in 2009.

As a perennial Academic All American and Rhodes Sholarship candidate, he has quickly picked up the team's offensive schemes, and he comes with terrific strength (33 reps in college) and surprising speed (4.7 40) for his size. Dan was among the top two or three performers at his postion in every test at the Combine in 2009. Keep an eye on this guy.

Ugh.. he's already moved ahead of Quinn? Well... hmm... not good.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

What has he done for us?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

2 receptions for 4 yards and climbing ahead of R. Quinn on the depth chart is nothing to write home about.

The jury is still out on Gronkowski, let's give it another month or two before we jump to any conclusions good or bad.

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Is it safe to say that Quinn is a bust, yet?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think we have to give him until the end of the year, but it doesn't look good. Hopefully being inactive will light a fire under his ass.

9. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I think we have to give him until the end of the year, but it doesn't look good. Hopefully being inactive will light a fire under his ass.
    Better be a big fire

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

According to Kaylore on the other website, there is rumor that Quinn could be cut soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
    This is just something I heard and may or may not come true based on if he can practice better and improve. Apparently his mistakes are becoming enough of a problem to keep him inactive last game and he may be cut mid season if he doesn't start to play more disciplined. Again, this is no sure thing and if things get better it will be a non issue. Don't shoot the messenger.

It will be if he doesn't get his head back in the game real soon. His blocking has been solid against Jacksonville and Seattle, but as we've seen with Smith and Hillis, Josh won't hesitate to move on from players who can't get a mental grasp on the game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Unrelated, but I'd also like to see my boy Dan Graham catch the ******* ball a little more often when it's thrown his way.

14. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Good read. Didnt know much about him until you posted this. I would say that there is reason to feel good about this pickup. Just wondering why Detroit let him go. They obviously like sheffler better

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Unrelated, but I'd also like to see my boy Dan Graham catch the ******* ball a little more often when it's thrown his way.
    He's on pace for 37 catches this year, which would be the 2nd highest total of his career.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    He's on pace for 37 catches this year, which would be the 2nd highest total of his career.
    But he always seems to scatter in a few bonehead drops in the clutch. Like the drive killer to open the game against the Colts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I watched Gron warm up in JAX. Bow legged as shit. Great ball sack placement.

19. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Good read. Didnt know much about him until you posted this. I would say that there is reason to feel good about this pickup. Just wondering why Detroit let him go. They obviously like sheffler better
    I think Detroit wanted Scheffler to make life easier for Stafford. Tony is a big target with a few years of experience. As well they have Pettigrew who was a first round pick, and an experienced vet in Heller for blocking purposes. Lions were overloaded at the position, but seemed to like Gronkowski. If you can get something for your fourth stringer at a position, that generally means he has some upside.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information