Thread: Around the League 7/25/08

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Around the League 7/25/08

It’s definitely a mail-it-in-Friday for me, but of course, that also means I’m going to be working tomorrow to get to my deadlines. Just glad these deadlines are kind of flexible on the work I’ve got right now…

So…being that today signifies the beginning of Bronco camp, I’d thought I’d take a look around at the other camps that have already begun.

Teams who will not start until later dates are today (July 25) Miami, Houston, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Carolina and Tampa Bay, and (July 27) Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

So…around the rest of the league…

James Hardy signed with the Buffalo Bills, leaving Leodis McKelvin their remaining unsigned pick. The staff of the Buffalo News also breaks down what to expect at the Bills camp this fall.

Patriots beat writer Chris Gasper reports that Tom Brady feels rejuvenated after getting away from things during the offseason. Bob Ryan discusses the Patriots possible Super Bowl hangover and Ryan and Gasper provide a video blog about it heading into camp, as well.

The Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens battle has begun at Jets camp. Jay Greenberg of the Post says that his money is on Chad.

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports that Dan Cody, an oft-injured linebacker, is going to try his hand at defensive end. The Baltimore Sun also gives a fan’s guide to Ravens camp.

Kellen Winslow thinks a lot of himself, but we already knew that. The Browns fan base is apparently excited, for some reason.

The big news at Colts’ camp is the absence of Peyton Manning, who apparently has earned the right to not have to be there. Marvin is back.

About the only hope the Chiefs hold offensively is that Brodie Croyle and Dwayne Bowe can be a top combination. Also, as is par for the course in Kansas City, Carl Peterson has cut off talks with their top pick, Glenn Dorsey.

There seems to be a bit of a mix-up at Raiders camp. Trust me, this could only happen there. Imagine a player wanting a new contract, but actually willing to play during negotiations, only for the team to say, ‘no.’

Antoine Cason is close to signing a deal with Chargers, while the team also released Eric Parker after a six-year stint with the team.

Hopes are high in Cowboy country. And, Morning News blogger Jean-Jacques Taylor gives his impression of Jones’ presser.

Kevin Boss is a little different than the Giants “old” tight end. And wouldn’t a repeat just be ‘super?’

Brian Westbrook is unhappy - surprise, surprise - but the real surprise is that guard Shawn Andrews isn’t in Eagles camp.

The first rookie went down, as newly signed Devin Thomas has already been injured at Redskins camp. He will most likely miss a couple of preseason games. It also seems that Jason Taylor is going to be a good fit in red.

And, as columnists are wont to do, Dan Pompei thinks its time to trade Devin Hester. Meanwhile, teammate Nathan Vasher says a holdout is not Hester’s answer to his problem.

Nicholas J. Cotsonika reports that contract talks between the Lions and Jordan Dizon have stalled. And, Michael Rosenberg thinks the Lions are doing something right.

The Star Tribune in Minneapolis just can’t stop talking about Brett Favre, even though they say they are going to not talk about Brett Favre.

The Times-Picayune reports that Sedrick Ellis and the Saints are still working on a deal, and a deal with Tracy Porter is close. The Picayune also reports that the Saints could be stacked at running back if everyone is healthy, and Shockey is happy to be out of New York.

The big shocker in the NFL today was that Anquan Boldin wants out of Arizona. Of course, that shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise from such an underachieving team. Although, not surprisingly, Drew Rosenhaus is behind all of this, as azcentral.com columnist Kent Somers so succinctly puts it.

Steven Jackson and Donnie Avery are technically holdouts at Rams camp. Linehan wants his team to work hard and have fun. Duh.

Kentwan Balmer has signed his contract with the 49ers and will be in camp. Could there be a quarterback controversy in 49er-land?

The Seattle Times Seahawks Blogger, Danny O’Neil, discusses first-round pick Lawrence Jackson, early injuries and the Seahawks “holdout history,” in his recent blogs.

And last, but not least…a gallery of 714 photos of NFL Cheerleaders, courtesy of AM 570 in Seattle.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Default Thanks, MB

Another great job..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information