Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maroney could be part of Broncos' long-term plans

Default Maroney could be part of Broncos' long-term plans

Running back Maroney could be part of Broncos' long-term plans
    By Mike Klis

If it becomes apparent that newly acquired Laurence Maroney is working out as a running back, the Broncos would like to work out a contract extension before he becomes eligible for free agency after this season.

"Certainly we would love to have an opportunity to keep a young player at that position around for more than a year," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "I think that would be the goal for sure — to give us some guys that really have an opportunity to be here for a long time."

In his first day with the Broncos, Maroney didn't put on the team colors. He didn't practice Wednesday because the transaction did not clear the NFL office until after the Broncos' early afternoon practice.

But Maroney did pass his physical and the trade went through. Besides Maroney, the transaction included the Broncos' sending their 2011 fourth-round pick to New England with the Patriots sending their 2011 sixth-round pick to Denver.

The Broncos' 2011 draft lineup:

First round: One pick.

Second round: Two picks. The additional pick came from Miami in the Brandon Marshall deal.

Third round: One pick.

Fourth round: No picks. It was sent to New England for Maroney.

Fifth round: No picks. Sent to Tampa Bay for right to move up and draft Syd'Quan Thompson and Jammie Kirlew.

Sixth round: Two picks. One from the Pats in Maroney deal, one in trade with Detroit for tight end Dan Gronkowski. The team sent its own pick to Cleveland for Brady Quinn.

Seventh round: No picks. Sent to Detroit for Gronkowski.

But never mind next year. The question is, can Maroney help the Broncos this year? A first-round pick in the 2006 draft, Maroney never has had so much as a 900-yard rushing season. Not often considered, though, is that the Pats and Broncos have pass-oriented offenses that ask their backs to take standing-start handoffs from a shotgun-positioned quarterback.

"If you're playing in an offense that uses three and four and five backs, expectations of 1,500 yards rushing probably aren't realistic," McDaniels said. "This guy has a lot of football in front of him and we're excited to have him."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Read more: Running back Maroney could be part of Broncos' long-term plans - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0zjCbCUEJ

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Hrmm, he was held out of practice with his thigh injury...

And we are discussing long term contract.

I really hope they let him prove himself HERE before giving this guy a long term deal.

4. The Following User High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Its is not like we know nothing about him. He is a proven RB that Josh has coached before who has a lot of miles LEFT on him.

He is not a rookie who has stuff to prove. Will he carry the TEAM? He will not be asked to since is a passing based offense.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Its is not like we know nothing about him. He is a proven RB
    To be fair - he has proven that he could not hold down a job with NE nor beat out a geriatric Fred Taylor.. At this point he has proven nothing that points to deserving a contract extension past the hour.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Its is not like we know nothing about him. He is a proven RB that Josh has coached before who has a lot of miles LEFT on him.

He is not a rookie who has stuff to prove. Will he carry the TEAM? He will not be asked to since is a passing based offense.
    Well, NE is a passing based offense too but they dont struggle to put up points on opposing defenses. If we dont have the personnel to actually run that type of scheme we need to do something else to try and generate more points on offense.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

I think Moreno, Maroney and Buckhalter is a better backfield than Taylor, Maroney and Faulk backfield.

Moreno looks to be the most talented of our core but he just needs to stay healthy. I'd like to see him with a bigger burst once the lanes open. He looks a little slow at times getting to the break. If he can work on that I think we'll see bigger carries and not a 3.3 YPC average.

Bucky seems to be the fastest in the break and that's why we see bigger breakoffs. But the dude can't stay healthy.

Maroney was brought in to be the battering ram that White was supposed to be. I could see him putting up 8 td's this year if he stays healthy.

Overall, I feel comfortable with our three headed monster.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

12. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I think Moreno, Maroney and Buckhalter is a better backfield than Taylor, Maroney and Faulk backfield.

Moreno looks to be the most talented of our core but he just needs to stay healthy. I'd like to see him with a bigger burst once the lanes open. He looks a little slow at times getting to the break. If he can work on that I think we'll see bigger carries and not a 3.3 YPC average.

Bucky seems to be the fastest in the break and that's why we see bigger breakoffs. But the dude can't stay healthy.

Maroney was brought in to be the battering ram that White was supposed to be. I could see him putting up 8 td's this year if he stays healthy.

Overall, I feel comfortable with our three headed monster.
    The 5-11 210 "battering ram"!

Who doesn't dish out punishment but receives it.

Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Sixth round: Two picks. One from the Pats in Maroney deal, one in trade with Detroit for tight end Dan Gronkowski. The team sent its own pick to Cleveland for Brady Quinn.

Seventh round: No picks. Sent to Detroit for Gronkowski.

This isn't right. We sent a 7th to Det in the Scheffler trade where we got a 5th back. Where did that 5th go?

Did we get a 6th with Gronkowski in the Smith trade?

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Not sure what I was thinking...just looked it up and the Scheffler picks were for this past draft.

Still it doesn't make sense that we traded Smith and a 7th for Gronkowski and a 6th. Tht is the first I have heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    Not sure what I was thinking...just looked it up and the Scheffler picks were for this past draft.

Still it doesn't make sense that we traded Smith and a 7th for Gronkowski and a 6th. Tht is the first I have heard of that.
    6's/7's are throw-aways, imo. I'd be happy with a buttload of 4's.
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

watch your mouth boy. Hillis was a 7th rounder!

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post

Yes, there were definitely draft picks involved, but no one was ever sure what they were exactly. This is the first I've seen someone actually state what the picks were exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well, NE is a passing based offense too but they dont struggle to put up points on opposing defenses. If we dont have the personnel to actually run that type of scheme we need to do something else to try and generate more points on offense.
    One would hope that the Scheme is similar, since it was born there and brought here.

The passing game is a tad more productive there with welker and moss as well as Faulk and who ever the RB de jour is.

And last but not least Brady pitching the ball around.

While I'm willing to give our guys a bit more time in working our all the issue I still believe we may be a TAD bit behind the Pats in the talent and EXPERIENCE department running this O.

How about we let them do it for more than one game before we heat up the Tar and pluck the chickens,

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    6's/7's are throw-aways, imo.
    that's pretty close to the philosphy our coach and FO. However, their throw-aways have no ceiling.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

One would hope that the Scheme is similar, since it was born there and brought here.

The passing game is a tad more productive there with welker and moss as well as Faulk and who ever the RB de jour is.

And last but not least Brady pitching the ball around.
    I think the biggest difference is Brady personally.

While I'm willing to give our guys a bit more time in working our all the issue I still believe we may be a TAD bit behind the Pats in the talent and EXPERIENCE department running this O.

How about we let them do it for more than one game before we heat up the Tar and pluck the chickens,
    Of course, they have time. But really even going back to last year we are still fine in between the 20's. But we still have some issues on 3rd down and in the redzone. And last year we had a guy who was on the "Moss" calibur so something is still missing. It could be youth or it could be play calling. Maybe both. Hopefully we see improvement in those areas throughout the year.

23. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information