Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buy or Sell: Trade Deadline Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Default Buy or Sell: Trade Deadline Thread

Braves
    In theory, by the end of this weekend -- after a week of dueling the Marlins and Phillies -- the Braves will know exactly whether they're in a race or out of one. But it seems as if the Braves have been stuck for weeks in what GM Frank Wren calls "that middle ground" between contention and oblivion.

They're 19-26 since the end of May. They haven't even won more than three in a row since Memorial Day. So they look more and more like a team that'sabout to shake up Deadline Week by dealing away the best player on the market -- Mark Teixeira.

If the Braves decide as soon as this weekend that it's sell-off time, clubs that have spoken with them got the impression they've already done enough groundwork to put together a Teixeira deal quickly. The question is: Who's buying?

Every indication is that the Braves have at least touched base with the Rays, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels and Yankees on Teixeira. But Arizona appears to be the team to watch. The Diamondbacks quietly made a big run at Teixeira last July, and they're in just as serious need of some major thump now.

An official of one club that spoke with the Diamondbacks describes them as having "definite interest." But while the Braves would love to wrest away Conor Jackson, it's tough to imagine Arizona dealing away a player it likes that much for two months of Teixeira.

Rockies
    This is a team that spends every other week playing itself into, and then out of, serious contention. But no matter which way the Rockies' roller coaster veers in the next few days, GM Dan O'Dowd says nobody should expect him to blow up his team just because it's been a disappointment.

"We won't do that," O'Dowd told Rumblings, flatly. "And it has nothing to do with the standings."

It has to do with the fact that the Rockies liked their team four months ago, like it now and have every key player except closer Brian Fuentes under control through next year. So while they'll deal Fuentes if they get the elite two-player package they're looking for, we're betting on Matt Holliday's sticking around until this winter, and maybe beyond.

Indications are that the Phillies, Rays, Marlins, Angels, Cardinals, Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox all maintain some level of interest in Fuentes. But they've gotten down to specific name-swapping with only a couple of those teams -- believed to be the Marlins and Yankees -- and neither has made it past the shopping-list phase.

O'Dowd continues to tell other teams that if they're not willing to cough up a top-of-the-line prospect and a secondary player, he'll happily hang onto Fuentes and take his two compensation picks. And that price hasn't wavered even a smidgeon. So an official of one interested team says: "I think their plan is to take him right to the deadline and see who blinks at the end."

Those Holliday rumors notwithstanding, the only other Rockie who seems likely to call a moving van in the next week is center-field sprint champ Willy Taveras. With Todd Helton hurting, the Rockies no longer are marketing Garrett Atkins.

Rangers
    Unbeknownst to most of North America, only two teams in the whole sport -- the Angels and Rays -- have a better record than the Rangers over the last three months (45-34). So GM Jon Daniels says: "I don't see us unloading the farm system to get into the rental market. I don't see us holding any sort of fire sale."

But that doesn't mean the Rangers don't have some interesting pieces on their shelves. Step right up and make an offer for Vicente Padilla, Kevin Millwood, Hank Blalock, Marlon Byrd, Frank Catalanotto or Gerald Laird. Daniels would listen to anything that "makes sense." And to make sense, any offer would have to upgrade this team's rotation, at least for the long haul.

So why are the Rangers willing to trade Padilla, their leading winner (11-5)? No, not because of dollars. And no, not because he's an astronaut, either. Because he's as talented as any pitcher on the market. So the Rangers are telling other clubs they're willing to deal him if they can get back a young starter they can plug into their rotation by next season, if not immediately.

They've had only back-burner interest so far, from a group that's believed to include the Tigers and Yankees. But in one of the least-inspiring rotation markets ever, that could easily change in the next week. Incidentally, two pitchers the Rangers don't intend to deal, despite extensive interest, are relievers Eddie Guardado and Jamey Wright.

Blue Jays
    The Blue Jays aren't going to win the AL East. They know that now. They'd even need a miracle to make a run at the wild card. They know that, too. But GM J.P. Ricciardi doesn't sound like a man ready to unleash a wrecking ball on his roster, even if it doesn't include a single player with 10 home runs this season.

"We're not really sellers, because who are we going to sell?" Ricciardi says. "We like our team. We've underperformed. But we still like our team."

So the only pre-deadline intrigue involving this club is what the heck will become of A.J. Burnett. He's eminently available. The Yankees, Phillies and Cardinals have checked in on him. But unless something changes fast, "I don't see us moving him," Ricciardi says. "I don't have any talks going on with anybody to move A.J. Burnett."

The Phillies traded for Joe Blanton instead. The Yankees were told Toronto wouldn't trade Burnett within the division. And the Cardinals didn't match up on the two premium players the Jays are looking for -- and weren't that interested in the first place. So while Ricciardi is still listening, his phone isn't ringing -- not on Burnett, at least.

There's some buzzing around Matt Stairs, David Eckstein and relievers Jason Frasor and Brian Tallet. And Gregg Zaun and Rod Barajas are all yours if you want them. But at this point, Ricciardi says, "I don't see us doing anything major."

Rumbling through the deadline jungle
    • The Buccos stop here: The Pirates are this year's winners of the Team Most Grumbled About Before the Deadline award. You name a contender. They've all made a run at somebody in the Pirates' display case (Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Damaso Marte, John Grabow, Jack Wilson). And all those clubs have come away complaining that the price tags are way out of line. For instance:

Bay: The Pirates are asking for four players back -- two sure-thing young players, one good prospect and a fourth prospect with upside.

Nady: A similar package, except they want three players instead of four -- one sure thing, one good prospect and a third, more iffy, prospect.

Marte: The Pirates seem confident he'll be a Type A free agent, so they're telling teams they need to do better than the first-round pick and sandwich pick they'd get if he walks.

Grabow: Because Grabow can't be a free agent until after next season, the Pirates are looking for a similar package on him as they're asking on Marte.

Wilson: One rumor -- heavily denied -- is that they asked the Dodgers for Matt Kemp and/or Chad Billingsley for Wilson. But everyone agrees they want two or three players, depending on who they are, all of whom have to be big-league ready.

• Phil 'er up: With that Joe Blanton deal out of the way, the Phillies are all over the left-handed-reliever market. They're in on most of the usual suspects (Fuentes, Marte, George Sherrill, Jack Taschner). But we're hearing they could have expanded the Blanton trade to include Alan Embree if they'd have been willing to throw in Olympic-team shortstop Jason Donald, and turned that one down. Another option they've mulled is recalling J.A. Happ as a situational left-hander. Left-handed hitters went 1 for 12 off Happ in his two starts earlier this month.

• Bronx bummer: Jorge Posada's shoulder issues are fouling up the Yankees' master plans in more ways than one. Beyond their effect on this season, it's no longer safe for the Yankees to assume Posada can catch regularly for the last three years of his contract. And if he's going to have to be a first baseman/DH, you can scratch Mark Teixeira (among others) off their offseason shopping list.

• Bay watch: You'll be hearing lots of relief pitchers (primarily Fuentes and Marte) and right-handed bats (primarily Nady and Blake) connected to Tampa Bay in the next week. But they've been telling teams they're not trading their top tier of prospects (Wade Davis, David Price, Jeremy Hellickson) for a rent-a-player -- and they'd rather turn to Price and Rocco Baldelli than deal for a rental in the first place. So they're planning to take a hard look at Price and Baldelli in the next few days before plowing forward.

It's easy to see why the Rays would want to give those guys the first shot to help. But the question other teams keep posing is: If you're trying to win, should you really be relying on two players like that?

"Everybody loves David Price," says one NL executive. "But you're talking about another inexperienced guy on a team with too little [big-game] experience to begin with. What they need out there is a veteran arm who can bolster those guys who have been getting it done all year. And we all root for Rocco Baldelli. But can you depend on that guy, after all the injuries? I don't see how."

• Seattle's slew: It could be an action-packed week in Seattle. When we surveyed teams this week on players they expect to see moved, Jarrod Washburn was voted most likely starter to get traded and Arthur Rhodes was voted most likely left-handed set-up man to relocate. The Mariners are driving a slightly harder bargain on Raul Ibanez, but if they don't move him, too, it won't be for lack of interest.

• Yo Adrian: Despite reports that the Twins have given up on their attempts to pry Adrian Beltre away from Seattle, we're hearing those discussions are far from dead. The Twins' No. 1 trading priority is to upgrade at third base. One team that reportedly has packed it in on Beltre is the Dodgers, after they learned that Beltre's no-trade list specifically blocks his return to Chavez Ravine.

• Hammering Hank: Elsewhere on the third-base market, it looks as if activity is finally picking up on Texas' Hank Blalock, now that he's actually played five games in a row. The Twins, Giants and Dodgers are all believed to have some level of interest. And Blalock doesn't have to be a rent-a-player. There's a $6.2-million club option on him for next year.

• Follow the money: Jarrod Washburn, Bronson Arroyo and Vicente Padilla might not quite be CC Sabathia, Rich Harden and Joe Blanton. But there's a reason you're hearing all of their names attached to the Yankees: Money. The Yankees are the one team out there with no reservation about taking on Washburn's remaining $14 million, Arroyo's $24 million or Padilla's $18 million. When you slurp up all those dollars, the price tends to go down. And that's always the Yankees' M.O. this time of year.

• Home for the Hollidays: Not only do very few people in baseball expect Matt Holliday to get traded this week. You'd be amazed by how many expect the Rockies to hang onto him and try to win with him next year, too.

"Here's my prediction," says an official of one contending club. "He'll get dangled all winter. They'll take him to the winter meetings, and you'll hear all kinds of wild rumors. But they'll decide they're good enough to take him into next season and hold onto him right up to the deadline. Maybe they trade him then, but I think it's 50-50 that they never trade this guy. They love Matt Holliday. He embodies everything they believe in. So when it comes time to deal him, I don't think they can."
    Rest of artical:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...page=rumblings

Questions and rumors will be in full force in the coming days.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

The Mariners just need to make some sort of deal because I've never been more depressed in my life. I'd love to see us trade Beltre to the Twins, because they have prospects galore, and I root for the Twins behind Seattle anyways. I'd actually get to see one of my favs play more.

Keith, I'll reply to your MHS in here (thanks for that too.) -- I heard that the Yankees would be willing to give up Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner for Washburn's services. Cabrera could play CF in Safeco no doubt, but I'm not sure if he's a long-term option. I'm guessing Gardner would be another UTIL guy, but we already have a few of those. No need for another 26th man when we got Bloomquist and Cairo.

I'm not sure why we're looking for outfield depth considering we have Wlad who should be up in the majors again (he's raping in Tacoma, he doesn't need to prove anything more) and Michael Saunders (still a year away, but only 21) along with Greg Halman in AA and quite a few guys in A+, etc. as well.

I'd take almost anything for Washburn. I'd prefer Cabrera, and maybe another "B" prospect or something, preferably an infielder or a bullpen arm.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

The Tex to Zona deal is very interesting. To add a bat of that caliber into an offense that has been a roller coaster could be very interesting. Hope that the younger bats get it going again and with Haren/Webb at the top and Rauch added to the pen the Backs are setting themselves up to take the division. As a Rockies fan I hope that the D-Backs don't have enough to give.

Jayson Stark: (1:01 PM ET ) Well, we've got six days left before the trading deadline. The National League MVP just got benched for being late. And the Yankees and Red Sox start another series this weekend. Think there's anything to talk about? I'm betting we can find a few topics. Let's get started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Denny, Cary, NC: What is with Jimmy Rollins? Is he becoming another Allen Iverson in Philly?

Jayson Stark: (1:04 PM ET ) That's way off base, Denny. Allen Iverson was a perpetual ball of trouble, on and off the field. Jimmy Rollins has had a disappointing year, on just about every level. But he doesn't reside on the same planet as Iverson. Here's what this is about, I think: Charlie Manuel sees Rollins as the biggest leader he's got. This is a time for that team that cries out for leadership. So this was the manager's way of saying: "You want to be a leader? Now's the time. It's a time to be a leader, not a time to be late to the ballpark." It will be interesting to see how Jimmy Rollins reacts. I'd bet he uses it for fuel, not as an opportunity to pout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eric (Atlanta): Hey Jayson- So, is there little to no market for Teixeira? What a disaster for Atlanta. Even when they want to sell, they can't because no one wants their best trade chip. Please tell me Arizona swoops in and trades Chad Tracy and Jarrod Parker for Tex. It makes too much sense for the D-Backs.

Jayson Stark: (1:06 PM ET ) I don't get the sense the Braves think there's no market for Teixeira. In fact, I sense just the opposite. I think that Arizona deal you proposed is something both teams would think about. I also see scenarios where both the Yankees and Red Sox get involved. Of course, the Braves haven't put Teixeira out there yet. But the vibe from teams that have spoken with them is that they will, unless they sweep the Phillies this weekend, at least.

Tyler (Atlanta, Ga): Could you see the Braves dealing Tex for some prospects and then also trading for someone like Bay at the deadline? They'd be set for next season in left and stil have a cleanup hitter for the rest of the year.

Jayson Stark: (1:08 PM ET ) Whatever the Braves do, they have their eye on upgrading their offense for next year, especially in left field. But I can't find anybody anymore who thinks the Pirates are really going to trade Jason Bay. They want four players for him - starting with every team's two best prospects. So that won't happen, even if your game plan is right on.

Doc (Howell, NJ): CC Sabathia has a chance to be the best trade deadline acquisition since...who?

Jayson Stark: (1:11 PM ET ) Randy Johnson went 10-1 for the '98 Astros. So probably since that one. But the Astros didn't get past the first round, so if we're judging these deals by October success, I guess we'll have to wait. Meanwhile, I had a note the other day saying that CC was the first starting pitcher to change teams in midseason and then win three times in his team's next seven games since Patsy Flaherty of the 1904 Pirates. In case you're wondering, CC is now up to four wins in 12 games. And it took Patsy another week to win that fourth game. So CC is officially the greatest quick-fix starting pitching acquisition ever -- so far.

Moses (Miami): Are the Marlins going to make any moves (buying or selling)

Jayson Stark: (1:13 PM ET ) They're buying all the way. But I'm hearing the only position they're looking at right now is bullpen. They've been all over Brian Fuentes and George Sherrill. I'm dubious that Sherrill will get traded. But I wouldn't bet against the Marlins in the Fuentes sweepstakes. I think there's a potential match there. And those two teams have been swapping names -- which seems to indicate they're at a different level than some of the other clubs in on Fuentes.

Ryan (Pittsburgh): What do you know about the rumors there is a rift in the Pirates front office between Coonelly and Huntington? Do you think this could affect what happens at the deadline?

Jayson Stark: (1:16 PM ET ) I think "rift" is the wrong word. I don't know that Frank Coonelly and Neal Huntington have identical philosophies on how to approach these deals. And from what I know of each, I get the feeling this is more of a Coonelly type approach than a Huntington type approach. But 1) it's not unusual for a GM and a team president to disagree on personnel matters, and 2) it's early. Let's see if the prices change in the next week, and let's see what kind of deals the Pirates make, if any. Then we'll have a better idea of how to judge what's happening in that front office.

Rob (Philly): Is there any truth to the rumors that the Blue Jays are asking teams about their interest in Roy Halladay?

Jayson Stark: (1:18 PM ET ) I talked to JP Ricciardi about this the other day in my Rumblings column. And he sure doesn't talk like a man who has any interest in trading Halladay. What I've been hearing from other teams is that, in theory, the Blue Jays are saying they'd "listen" on anybody, including Halladay. But when the conversation turns to Halladay, it doesn't get anywhere. It's worth monitoring in the next week. But that guy getting traded is a bigger long shot than Matt Holliday getting traded. Halladay is to that franchise what John Smoltz has been to the Braves -- the face of the franchise on and off the field. Tough to trade with two years left on his contract.

Tim (Appleton, WI): I was reading one of your articles this morning and you mentioned Texiera going to the Rays amongst other teams. Do you think they could actually land him or will he get traded to a bigger name team (Red Sox, etc)?

Jayson Stark: (1:19 PM ET ) They're on Arizona's list, but my gut tells me they won't want to trade the kind of front-line young players it would take to get that deal done. If they do anything, I bet it would be something smaller -- or at least for a hitter they wouldn't have to just rent.

Bill, Needham, SD: Displaced Orioles fan here, Jayson. Why wouldn't the O's trade Sherill into the AL east. Seems dumb when you could get some good prospects and Sherill would only "haunt" them for a year or two - whereas you could control, say, Michael Bowden for the next 6 years.

Jayson Stark: (1:20 PM ET ) Two words: Peter Angelos.

John (KC) : Any truth to Olivo to the Yankees? Or Guillen to the Braves? Or is there any buzz about what the Royals might do? Mahay, Grudz etc.

Jayson Stark: (1:21 PM ET ) There was conversation about Olivo to the Yankees and Guillen to the Braves, but neither of those deals is happening. The one player I think they'll trade is Grudzielanek. They don't seem particularly motivated to deal Mahay. But so far, I'm hearing very little Grudzielanek talk. Awfully good player.

Scott (Ithaca,NY): It is wrong for me to have Barry Bonds on my wish list as a die hard Yankee fan...I mean I do dislike the guy, but I never doubted his talent and even at 44 years old I have a feeling he could hit in his sleep.

Jayson Stark: (1:24 PM ET ) I think you're right that Barry can still hit. I keep reminding people he had a higher slugging percentage last year than Mark Teixeira and reached base more times than Manny Ramirez. But at this point, I don't know why there'd be any reason to think he's going to wind up playing again. If it hasn't happened by now, why would it happen in the next two months?

Tim (Appleton, WI): What move do you think the Angels need to make to give them the best chance of winning the World Series this year?

Jayson Stark: (1:24 PM ET ) Like a lot of people, I still think they need another middle-of-the-order bat. But that's not what they're chasing. If they do anything, it will be for another reliever.

Sal (PA): Do you see the Mets makign any major moves inthe next few days? I would think it would be hard to make major deals given the playersthey traded away in the offseaon.

Jayson Stark: (1:26 PM ET ) Every time I bring up the Mets and their prospective deals to any other team, I get the same answer: "I don't know how they have enough to make that deal." If Fernando Martinez and Jon Niese are untouchable, then they probably don't even have enough inventory to trade for somebody like Casey Blake. Maybe they can get a bat or a bullpen arm for Aaron Heilman. Might be their best bet.

Otis (Mt Airy, NC): The Yankees seem to have a lot of talented young outfielders in their system, couldn't they work something out with KC that would put Greinke in pinstripes?

Jayson Stark: (1:29 PM ET ) Theoretically, I guess they could. But the Royals are so unmotivated to trade Greinke unless it's for an enormous return, I can't see the Yankees going that route. They just don't operate that way. I had an item in Rumblings this week in which a GM asked the last time they traded a good prospect in any trade. And it turned out it hadn't been in 3 1/2 years, since they dealt away Dioner Navarro and Brad Halsey in the Randy Johnson trade. So I don't see them turning around now and trading Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson and two other guys for Greinke.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Part-2
    Osciak (Philly, PA): What are the Phillies plan on the trade market? The team seems to have no energy lately and needs something to happen to make it two straight division titles. Maybe another hitter and reliever?

Jayson Stark: (1:32 PM ET ) Those are the two items on their shopping list. But more and more, it wouldn't surprise me if they waited until August. They've been pretty adamant that they don't want to trade Carlos Carrasco or Lou Marson in just about any scenario. So they're not going to get Brian Fuentes or George Sherrill. They have interest in Casey Blake, but I think they'll get outbid on him, too. Pat Gillick has always liked that August period because it's less frenetic. So even if they don't make a move in the next week, I think they'll keep shopping.

Shoshana (Chapel Hill): So what do you think it would take to get Sherrill? The talking heads keep saying the O's are looking for a good young SS prospect (a position they desperately need). Who might fit that bill?

Jayson Stark: (1:35 PM ET ) That's why they've been scouting the Brewers so heavily. I think they thought they had a chance to get everybody's favorite ss prospect, Alcides Escobar. But the Brewers won't even talk about him. Sounds like the Orioles then targeted Mat Gamel, who's going to be a star at third base (or maybe first eventually). But that's doubtful, too. That's the kind of players they're after for Sherrill. And I don't see them being able to get that for him, no matter how good he's been.

jam (dallas): Any real market out there for Padilla or Blaylock? Doesn't sound like there really is here in Rangerville.

Jayson Stark: (1:36 PM ET ) I'm hearing they've had conversations with several teams about both of them. But they're both looking like everyone's Plan B or C. So there's nothing real hot going on either of them right now.

Marc (Newark): Of the following Buccos, who is still here after the deadline: Wilson, Bay, Nady, Marte, and Grabow?

Jayson Stark: (1:37 PM ET ) I'd rank them in this order of likelihood to stay: Bay, Wilson, Nady, Grabow, Marte.

Matt (Holmdel, NJ): any chance that the mets trade away fernando martinez to get a corner-OF bat (please say no)?

Jayson Stark: (1:38 PM ET ) I hear they've had no interest in discussing Martinez. So I don't see that changing.

Adam (San Diego, CA): Obviously the Padres are sellers...any word on realistic moves they might make? Maddux? Giles? (What would the O's give us for Greene???)

Jayson Stark: (1:39 PM ET ) I'm not sure they'll wind up moving any of those three. I'm surprised by the lack of interest in Greene. They really don't want to trade Giles. And Maddux still only wants to go to the Dodgers. That could still happen if the price is low enough. But it's not a big front-burner item for either team.

Otis (Mt Airy, NC): Hey Jason. How far has Phil Hughes stock fallen? Does the pending free agengy of Sheets, Sabathia, et al make him now touchable in a deadline deal?

Jayson Stark: (1:41 PM ET ) No. They're still not interested in moving him. And I don't know how to assess where his "stock" is since he's barely pitched this year and it looks now as if he won't pitch again this year. He may have been slightly overhyped to begin with. But you can't write a guy off based on a lousy month in an injury-plagues season. Look how young he is.

Andrew (Nashville, TN): Is there ANYONE that will take Dunn or Griffey from the Reds?

Jayson Stark: (1:43 PM ET ) Griffey is a Red now. He'll be a Red in a week. And he'll be a Red till the end of the year. But even though there hasn't been much talk on Dunn, I still have a feeling he'll wind up with an AL team at some point, either before the deadline or even in August.

Jimmy (Chesapeake, VA): Thanks for the chat. I've seen rumors that the A's may trade Duchscherer or Street. Do you think both are still with the A's on August 1? What might they receive in return?

Jayson Stark: (1:45 PM ET ) I'm dubious on Duchscherer moving. But the A's seem much more motivated to trade Street. They've had a lot of teams back off lately, because of the way he's thrown. But I bet they can still get a young arm for him. It's hard to see them getting a Harden-esque package for him at this juncture, but nobody is more realistic this time of year than Billy Beane.

Marc (Newark): If Nady or Bay get traded, does Andrew McCutchen get the call up and should Bucco fans be excited about this kid?

Jayson Stark: (1:46 PM ET ) Everybody loves Andrew McCutchen. And the fact that he's clearly ready is the reason I think that, ultimately, the Pirates come down in price on Nady and move him. I don't see Bay getting traded. But Nady is a Scott Boras client who won't be there beyond next year. And McCutchen is ready to plug in. So stay tuned.

Gerry Upland Ca: What do the Dodgers have to do to pass the D-backs in the West....Trade for a Bat or a Pitcher? any chance we can get Tex from Atl?

Jayson Stark: (1:48 PM ET ) I get the sense the Dodgers are more focused on a bat than an arm, even a bullpen arm. Their problem is that they have no place to put that bat except third base or short. So outside of Casey Blake or maybe Blalock, there isn't much to choose from. The Braves would love to deal them Teixeira for James Loney. But I see just about zero chance of that one happening. The Dodgers still like Loney too much, and they'd have him for four more years.

James (Florida): I heard rumors about the Mets discussing Brian Giles. Weren't they looking for a right-handed hitting left fielder? Not a left-handed hitting right fielder? I know he has played left before but not in a long time.

Jayson Stark: (1:49 PM ET ) They may have talked. But the Mets are heavily denying he's on their shopping list. So if that was ever alive, it doesn't seem real lively right now.

Matt (Cincinnati, Ohio): Great chat Jayson!! Whats the chance that Fogg and Arroyo will be traded by the deadline?

Jayson Stark: (1:51 PM ET ) I'm betting against both, although Arroyo to the Yankees might be a possibility. Arroyo's contract is back-loaded, so he has another $24 million or so coming through 2010. That would scare off a lot of teams, but not the Yankees. He's pitched a lot better lately, and he's familiar with the AL East, right? So I'm not writing that one off yet.

J.D. (NJ): Hey Jayson, love these chats...maybe you can finally answer a question of mine? With Delgado seemingly coming back to life, will he be the best fit for the Mets next year if they miss out on Teixeira? What will his price tag be?

Jayson Stark: (1:54 PM ET ) Here's the problem: I don't think they can do that one as an either/or deal. Teixeira is a Boras client, so it's going to take months to figure out where he's going to wind up. But to keep Delgado, the Mets would probably have to pick up his option in November. If it were up to me, I'd always take a player for a year over a guy who currently wants 10 years (and probably will end up with six minimum). So I'm betting Delgado sticks around. The other free-agent first-base options are Jason Giambi, Richie Sexson and Kevin Millar. So it would be taking a big, big chance to put too many eggs in Teixera's basket.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Keith, I'll reply to your MHS in here (thanks for that too.) -- I heard that the Yankees would be willing to give up Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner for Washburn's services. Cabrera could play CF in Safeco no doubt, but I'm not sure if he's a long-term option. I'm guessing Gardner would be another UTIL guy, but we already have a few of those. No need for another 26th man when we got Bloomquist and Cairo.

I'm not sure why we're looking for outfield depth considering we have Wlad who should be up in the majors again (he's raping in Tacoma, he doesn't need to prove anything more) and Michael Saunders (still a year away, but only 21) along with Greg Halman in AA and quite a few guys in A+, etc. as well.

I'd take almost anything for Washburn. I'd prefer Cabrera, and maybe another "B" prospect or something, preferably an infielder or a bullpen arm.
    Sorry.... hadn't tracked this thread.

Gardner + Cabrera for Washburn was a ridiculous rumor. We have to keep one of them to play CF. Damon is the DH as he continues to recover from a shoulder injury. He'll play some LF in the next week or so, I'd guess, but I look for Nady to get a lot of time there. Justin Christian can play any OF position, but he'll only get starts vs. LHP. Our CF of the future, Austin Jackson, is in AA and won't be rushed to the majors.

I thought the trade would go down last weekend, but I was wrong (happens once every few years ). I really think it boils down to how badly Seattle wants to move Washburn's contract. It doesn't make sense for Seattle to pay him $14 mil. for the rest of this season and next.... and I think Cashman will hold firm: the Yankees are willing to absorb his entire contract, but not if it costs more than a mid level prospect or 2. If Seattle decided to pay part of his salary or accept Kei Igawa as part of the trade (I wouldn't do the latter under any circumstance), the Yankees would offer more in terms of prospects.

Last week, I gave it a 90% chance.
    Yesterday: 75%
    Today: 60%

Forced to guess, I think it will happen Thursday, perhaps for a AA or AAA IF (Alberto Gonzalez/ Ramiro Pena/Reegie Corona) plus a AA or AAA reliever (Brian Bruney/Anthony Claggett/Kevin Whelan). Washburn wouldn't be scheduled to start until Friday.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I'd be shocked if the Monfort's do not trade Fuentes and Holliday's contracts for a 12 pack and a large pizza......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

D-backs seem like best fit for Teixeira

Monday, July 28, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

As Jayson Stark reported earlier today, the Braves have made it known that they have put Mark Teixeira up for bids. On Monday evening, rival executives had no way of knowing for sure what cards the Braves were holding, but some who've been involved in the Teixeira trade talks are getting the vibe that Atlanta is leaning toward one team -- the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Braves asked for Conor Jackson early in the conversations between the two teams, and the D-backs said no, and it may be that a deal could be structured around Chad Tracy and a pitching prospect not named Max Scherzer. But the Braves maintain they have a range of offers from which to choose.

Astros remaining aggressive in market

Monday, July 28, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

No one can accuse the Houston Astros of being quitters. Despite the fact that Houston is 12 1/2 games out of first place in the NL Central, the Astros continue to look to be buyers before the trade deadline, rather than sellers. Rival teams report that the Astros are calling around in search of a high-profile, experienced reliever who might serve as a complement to Doug Brocail as Houston makes its push for a playoff spot in August and September.

Some teams, including the Colorado Rockies, have shown interest in veteran right-hander Paul Byrd of the Indians. Byrd is 4-10 with a 5.14 ERA this season, and if the Indians don't deal him before Thursday's deadline, he might be the classic example of a pitcher who could be moved in August, as he passes through waivers.

Rival executives report that there is some anger within the Seattle hierarchy about the way the negotiations with the Yankees for Jarrod Washburn have played out publicly, and an NL executive who has been in contact with the Mariners on Monday says he wouldn't be surprised if Seattle works to deliver the lefty to another team, even if it means swallowing many dollars. The Yankees have made it clear that they are willing to take Washburn's contract -- he is still owed about $14 million for the rest of this year and next -- but won't give up a major prospect. The teams generally in the market for starting pitchers have been the Cardinals and Rockies.

Reds take Arroyo off the market

Monday, July 28, 2008

Posted by Jayson Stark

The Reds have informed other clubs that they no longer are interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But Cincinnati apparently was finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep it from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he might not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

Sources: Red Sox interested in Tejada

Monday, July 28, 2008

Posted by Enrique Rojas

The Red Sox have had discussions with the Astros about shortstop Miguel Tejada, sources told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas.

One source said the conversations between the two teams had just started. Another source, one close to Tejada, said the Red Sox and Astros have been in talks for some time now about a trade.

"I feel good in Houston, but I wouldn't be afraid to accept the challenge of playing in Boston," Tejada said in a telephone interview.

Mets have no interest in trading for Manny

Monday, July 28, 2008

• The Red Sox ran Manny Ramirez's name past the Mets in the past 24 hours and were turned down flat, according to one source with knowledge of those discussions. So we can cancel that Manny Watch in Queens.

• The Orioles continue to tell teams they would have to be "overwhelmed" to trade George Sherrill before the deadline. But if they do trade him, there are two interested teams that have the young shortstop the Orioles are targeting as the centerpiece of any deal -- the Angels and Phillies. (Milwaukee was also on Baltimore's list but backed off a week ago.)

Indications are that the Orioles like both the Angels' big league shortstops -- Erick Aybar and Maicer Izturis. And Baltimore has scouted Philly's Double-A shortstop, Jason Donald, who is bound for the Olympic team. But neither the Angels nor Phillies seem compelled to "overwhelm" the Orioles or anybody else in the next few days. So most teams that have checked in on Sherrill have come away believing the Orioles won't make any serious attempt to move him until the offseason.

The Marlins, Cardinals and Tigers are also interested, but those teams don't have a highly regarded shortstop prospect to trade away.

• Speaking of the Angels, they're still kicking tires on available relief pitchers. But one baseball man who spoke with them believes "they're not a major player on anything right now."

The Braves continue to call them about Mark Teixeira. But the Angels have Casey Kotchman off their board, and the Braves aren't interested in Kendry Morales.

Rockies likely to keep Fuentes

Monday, July 28, 2008

Posted by Andrew Marchand

An executive involved in the Brian Fuentes trade talks says the Rockies are "pulling back" and don't seem as though they intend to trade him now that they are moving into contention in the National League West. The Mets are still among the teams interested in Fuentes.

Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd told SI.com that it's "highly unlikely" Colorado would trade Fuentes or Matt Holliday.

Ohman in high demand

Monday, July 28, 2008

• Mark Teixeira doesn't figure to be the only Brave who will get traded this week. If the Braves also put left-handed reliever Will Ohman on the market, they'll have "no problem" moving him, said an official of one interested club.

Teams that already have called about Ohman include the Tigers, Rays, Yankees and Cardinals.

• The Marlins continue to hunt for what one baseball man described as a "battle-tested" left-handed bullpen arm. Brian Fuentes and George Sherrill have been at the top of their list. But the Marlins have been at a standstill on Fuentes for a couple of weeks, and they don't appear to have the centerpiece prospect Baltimore is looking for in a Sherrill package -- a young shortstop who is near-big-league ready. So unless they can make headway on Kansas City's Ron Mahay, they could turn to someone like Seattle's Arthur Rhodes, who is turning into the most popular back-burner option for all the teams in the left-handed relief market.

• Now that Jeff Samardzija looks as if he can be to the Cubs what K-Rod was to the 2002 Angels and what Joba Chamberlain was to the Yankees last year, the Cubs are no longer shopping for arms of any kind. According to clubs that have spoken with them, the only commodity the Cubs are still asking about is left-handed-hitting center fielders. But that's a need they're more likely to fill in the offseason than in the next three days.

Everett a match for Dodgers?

Monday, July 28, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

At a time when the Los Angeles Dodgers are dealing with the latest injury to Nomar Garciaparra and looking around for help at shortstop, Adam Everett may be reaching a crossroads in his time with the Minnesota Twins. Everett is nearing the end of his 20-day rehab assignment, and more recently, he has hit .333 for Triple-A Rochester.

Nick Punto is established with the Twins and has been playing well at shortstop, so it's unclear whether Minnesota will have a spot for Everett, who hit .189 in 25 games earlier this year, or if they will choose to trade or release him. Everett, 31, is a veteran of eight seasons in the majors.

Cashman not optimistic about Washburn

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Posted by Jerry Crasnick

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, in Cooperstown, N.Y., to watch the induction ceremonies for Goose Gossage and Dick Williams, didn't sound like a man who's optimistic about making another significant trade before the deadline. The Yankees have been linked to Seattle's Jarrod Washburn, but ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney now reports that the talks have stalled.

"I can only speak about the players on my team,'' Cashman said. "We've got a 25-man roster and hopefully an army of prospects behind them that we're prepared to go with right now. Unless something makes sense outside of our organization that's fair for both sides, we're going with what we've got.

"In general, I approach it that I'm never optimistic until I get a 'yes.' It's so hard to find matches with anybody in the game where you can get fair value on both sides. I'll stay engaged with everybody that's open for business. We just hope that the guys we have are healthy, continue to perform and, in the end, are good enough.''

Yankees' talks about Washburn stalled

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

The Jarrod Washburn talks between the Mariners and Yankees hit a standstill late Sunday afternoon. The Mariners want a solid prospect in return from the Yankees, in addition to having the Yankees assume the bulk of the $14 million owed to Washburn for the rest of this season and next. On the other hand, the Yankees are willing to take on the bulk of the money still owed to Washburn for the rest of this year and next year, but they have no intention of including anything more than a marginal prospect in the deal. Washburn's overall numbers are not good: 5-9 with a 4.50 ERA. But he has thrown better the past two months, compiling a 2.93 ERA in June and 2.67 in July; one advance scout said that Washburn has been using his splitter more in the past two months.

The Yankees did not have a scout in Toronto Sunday to watch Washburn, who had a strong eight-inning outing against the Jays, because they have seen him enough to make an evaluation and maintain their current stance in negotiations. Some executives with other teams are surprised the Mariners, whose roster is loaded with high-priced veterans at a time when the team is apparently in the opening stages of a rebuilding period, are not jumping on the Yankees' offer to assume the contract of Washburn, who is 23-38 in his three seasons with Seattle and had an ERA of 6.99 through May 21 of this season.

Rockies not sure whether to buy or sell

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Colorado GM Dan O'Dowd has a quandary: Rockies reliever Brian Fuentes is the most accomplished reliever on the trade market, and O'Dowd probably could make a deal with the Rays, Marlins or Cardinals (albeit for less than what the Rockies have been asking for).

But at the same time, the Rockies continue to play well. With its blowout of the Reds on Sunday, Colorado is now 28-20 in its past 48 games, and has closed the gap in the NL West to 5½ games. So as the Rockies continue to talk possible deals for Fuentes, a free agent after this season, they are also talking about adding a starting pitcher, in case they are buyers instead of sellers. The Rockies have talked to the Reds about Bronson Arroyo, and to Oakland about Justin Duchscherer.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...%26year%3d2008

Well I think the the Rockies in the end will hold on the Fuentes, if he happens to leave via FA next year they would most likely get two high picks for him to load up the system.

Man did the Bucs ever lower their asking prices, Yanks got a great deal.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Rockies need to hold on to Fuentes. I don't think Arroyo would be good in Colorado at all. All that loopy breaking junk he throws would get jacked out of that park in a hurry.

I wish had numbers to back up that theory, but he's only pitched at Coors once, in 2004 with the Red Sox, did get lit up a little bit. Six innings, seven hits, four runs, three earned, a home run, a walk and four strikeouts.

I'm still of the opinion that you have to have a good change to be effective in Colorado...

Interesting Stats on Arroyo
    Against batters from the four other NL West teams:
    Code:
    Team	AB	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	BA	OBP	SLG	1B
    Dbacks	176	57	13	2	7	37	13	34	.324	.370	.540	35
    Dodgers	175	52	9	1	3	13	10	28	.297	.335	.411	39
    Giants	78	19	3	0	0	4	6	11	.244	.298	.282	16
    Padres	120	34	3	0	5	18	7	25	.283	.323	.433	26
    Total	549	162	28	3	15	72	36	98	.295	.338	.439	116
    Pitching against NL West teams in his career
    Code:
    Team	W	L	G	GS	CG	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	ERA
    Dbacks	0	1	3	3	0	19    	22	9	9	0	6	11	4.26
    Dodgers	1	2	5	5	0	30    	38	17	15	2	9	22	4.50
    Giants	2	2	5	5	1	35    	27	9	9	1	18	26	2.31
    Padres	3	3	6	6	1	39 1/3	42	17	14	4	9	32	3.20
    Total	6	8	19	19	2	123 1/3	129	52	47	7	42	91	3.43
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Well the Reds have taken Arroyo off the maket, still good stat digging.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Well the Reds have taken Arroyo off the maket, still good stat digging.
    Had a few moments. I'm glad they took him off. I don't think it would have been that great of a move, although he's better than Redman.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Last July, the Angels were the runner-up in the bidding for Mark Teixeira. This year, they finally got their man.

On Tuesday, the Angels made the kind of deadline blockbuster they're often accused of never making when they traded first baseman Casey Kotchman and pitching prospect Stephen Marek to Atlanta for the right to run Teixeira out there as their first baseman for the next two months.

"Hopefully I can just go over there and be one more piece of the puzzle," Teixeira said before the Braves hosted St. Louis.

Initially, according to a source, the Braves asked for Kotchman, top pitching prospect Nick Adenhart and a third player in exchange for Teixeira. But the Angels told Atlanta that although they might be willing to talk about, essentially, a Kotchman-for-Teixeira swap even-up, they were not willing to open a hole in their club for either 2008 or 2009. The clubs then compromised Tuesday afternoon by agreeing on Marek, a 24-year-old Double-A right-hander who wasn't regarded as one of the Angels' premier prospects.

The Braves also had talked to the Diamondbacks, Rays and Red Sox about Teixeira, and the Yankees and Dodgers also had checked in peripherally. But the Angels surprised the baseball world by bearing down hard on that middle-of-the-order bat that now transforms them into the official 2008 Best Team in Baseball.

"Our goal is to win a world championship," Angels general manager Tony Reagins said. "The team is playing well at this point, but being able to add a player like Mark Teixeira just makes us that much better."

The Angels already have the best record in the game (65-40). But their offense ranks just ninth in the American League in runs scored and 11th in on-base percentage. And their .399 team slugging percentage ranks 10th in the AL and 22nd in baseball.

Now they can slot Teixeira, a 28-year-old switch-hitter with Gold Glove defensive skills, into their lineup to hit behind Vladimir Guerrero. They also get a player who is familiar with life in the AL West from his four-plus seasons in Texas. And they get an offensive force who has averaged about 35 homers and close to 40 doubles per full season since 2004, with a .291 batting average, .381 on-base percentage, .546 slugging percentage and .927 OPS.

"They have the best team in baseball. I'm not going to go over there and make them any different, other than just hopefully add a few more runs. They have all the pitching they need, they have great defense," Teixeira said.

He added: "It's a little bittersweet. I really enjoyed my time here. I had a great year here. I love this team. I love this organization. I love this city. It's tough to leave. But at the same time I have a great opportunity in Anaheim, and I'm looking forward to it. The last couple days I knew it was coming, so I prepared for it."

The Angels didn't ask for a window to negotiate an extension with Teixeira. But they're expected to make a massive effort to sign him to a long-term deal, now that they've traded their everyday first baseman and a player they were especially fond of in Kotchman. But Teixeira is a Scott Boras client. And early rumblings are that his initial asking price will be in the neighborhood of 10 years, $230 million.

The Braves, meanwhile, prioritized getting back a first baseman to replace Teixeira. And although they weren't able to get the larger package they'd hoped for -- or one that even approached the five players they gave up for Teixeira last year -- they did get a first baseman who can't become a free agent until after the 2011 season.

They'll lose power production, because Kotchman has hit only 31 homers in 1,137 big league at-bats and owns just a .426 career slugging percentage. But the Angels believed he would develop power as he progressed. And his home run ratio away from home (one every 31.9 at-bats) was much better than his ratio in Anaheim (one every 44.3 at-bats). He'd already hit a career-high 12 home runs this season.

Atlanta acquired Teixeira last July 31 at the trading deadline in a seven-player deal that sent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to Texas. Beset by injuries, the Braves have struggled below .500 this year and fallen to the fringe of the NL East race.

"This is obviously not the way we wanted the season to end and go forward. We look at it as building for the future," Braves general manager Frank Wren said.

In his 157 games in Atlanta, Teixeira hit 37 home runs and drove in more runs (134) than any player in the major leagues except Ryan Howard.

Kotchman had been in the Angels lineup for Tuesday night's game against the Red Sox, batting second and playing first base. He was replaced at first by Robb Quinlan, who batted eighth.

Within a few days, Teixeira will be occupying that spot for the Angels. He said his family planned to stay in the California guest house of Boras for the time being.

Teixeira said there was time when he would've signed a deal with Atlanta and bypassed the possibility of free agency.

"I was always open for it. This whole year I was open for it. But that's business. It just didn't work out," he said. "I loved it here. I really did. I wanted to stay here for the rest of my career. But business is business. Sometimes you have to move on and I'm looking forward to moving on to LA.

"I told everybody that I loved playing here. I love this team. I love Bobby Cox. He's an amazing man. He's an amazing manager. When my career is over I'm going to be able to tell my kids and my grandkids that I played for Bobby Cox and I played with Chipper Jones and I played with John Smoltz and Tom Glavine. Those are things I'm going to be proud of."

Marek was a 40th-round draft pick of the Angels in 2004. He was a starter in his first three pro seasons. But the Angels were using him in middle relief at Arkansas, where he was 2-6 with a 3.66 ERA and an impressive 57 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings.

Jayson Stark covers major league baseball for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3510042

Glad hes not a D-Back, but man the prices are p0retty low this year. Kotchman will be a solid 1B, he already was having a good year in LA, has some power, gets on base, and will score and drive in runs. Braves at least get a main stay in their offense. LA gearing up for the post season, like this move for them.

Great move for the Angels.

Seattle better deal Washburn for anything or I'll go nuts.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Gammons: Manny deal complicated

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Peter Gammons

As midnight approached on Wednesday night, officials from the Marlins and Red Sox said a deal involving Manny Ramirez was not done. Indications from Pittsburgh were that the Pirates were not satisfied with the players they were receiving in exchange for sending Jason Bay to Boston. And in California, Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras, said he had been told nothing, which means nothing has been completed in terms of Ramirez waving his no-trade rights or in completing paperwork to send to the commissioner's office.

So, the complicated three-way deal may go down close to Thursday's 4 p.m. deadline. Ramirez wants out, and will go to Florida. The Marlins want him, and what he means to their pennant chances and pursuit of a new ballpark. The Red Sox clearly are willing to finance Ramirez's exit.

But the value of the young players was a sticking point late into the night, and one Red Sox official said, "this is anything but done."

The Nomar Garciaparra deal in 2004 went down to minutes before the deadline, and there was so much confusion the Twins never received the second prospect they thought they were owed. This may be Nomar Redux.

Rays looking at Dunn

Posted by Jayson Stark

The Reds and Rays talked Wednesday night about a deal that would send Adam Dunn to Tampa Bay. According to a source with knowledge of the discussions, those talks haven't yet moved beyond the conversation stage. But that conversation is expected to resume Thursday morning. Clubs that have spoken with Tampa Bay believe the Rays don't want to rush into anything as long as Jason Bay remains an option. But they now have Dunn on their plate as an intriguing Plan B.

Gammons: Manny talks ongoing

Posted by Peter Gammons

The Manny Ramirez trade conversations are expected to continue into Thursday, according to a source. Because it's a very complicated deal, involving a player who has the right to veto the trade and other parts, it is still unlikely to happen. But the negotiations will go on.

Rockies close to decision on Fuentes

Posted by Jayson Stark

The Rockies informed all the teams interested in reliever Brian Fuentes on Wednesday afternoon that they would decide late Wednesday night whether to put Fuentes on the market. All those teams also were told exactly what it would take from their club to get Fuentes if the Rockies opt to trade him. At least three of those clubs -- the Mets, Phillies and Rays -- have told the Rockies that, because of the price, they're out of the Fuentes derby.

Yanks ready to deal Hawkins

Posted by Jayson Stark

The Astros are close to a deal with the Yankees that would send reliever LaTroy Hawkins to Houston for a low minor leaguer, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions. Hawkins would be the second prospective free agent the Astros have traded for this month. They also obtained "rent-a-starter" Randy Wolf from San Diego on July 22.

Rays' talks for Bay slowed

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Posted by Jayson Stark

Although that much-rumored Jason Bay-to-Tampa Bay deal remains theoretically "alive," as one baseball man with knowledge of the discussions said, those two teams had "very little dialogue" Wednesday.

The Pirates do appear to have backed off their earlier attempts to get four players in return for Bay. But they still want all discussions to begin with two high-end prospects. And Tampa Bay has been resisting deals like that for weeks now.

One possible reason those conversations between the Rays and Pirates have slowed could involve Manny Ramirez. Officials from several teams theorized Wednesday that if the Red Sox were to trade Manny, they would target Bay as a right-handed bat to replace him.

Dodgers interested in Maddux

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 |

Posted by Buster Olney

The Dodgers and Padres continue to have conversations about veteran starter Greg Maddux, and the two sides are beginning the process of exchanging names and perhaps working toward a deal.

Zaun could land with Marlins

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 |

Posted by Jerry Crasnick

The Marlins need catching help and Toronto is looking to deal Gregg Zaun, but one baseball source said the prospect of Zaun returning to Florida is "unlikely.'' Zaun previously played for the Marlins from 1996 through 1998.

Money is one major impediment to a deal. Zaun is still owed about $1.25 million this season, and the Marlins would probably want Toronto to assume a healthy chunk of that total to make the trade happen.

The Marlins have also talked to Texas about Gerald Laird and checked out Cincinnati's catching contingent, but they've yet to find the right fit.
    I look at the Rays kind of like the Angels, in pretty good shape and can load up even more, but in the AL East if they land Dunn or Bay that would be big for them to get a power bat into that line up. Since that race will be much harder then the AL West. Dunn misses alot but can flat out mash.

Who knows with Manny, yes he can bat, but shut up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

I am both shocked and delighted with the Kyle Farnsworth for Pudge Rodriguez trade.
    Farnsworth has been doing very well lately, but Pudge is hitting .346 since June 1st and is still solid defensively. Adding 2 legit RH bats in 6 days is huge. Jose Molina is one of the best defensive catchers in the game (stonewalls an opponents running game), but he shouldn't be a starter: .226/.278/.303
    .200 BA vs. LHP.
    Pudge: .295/.338/.417 .293 BA vs. LHP. He'll bat 7th or 8th. Wow.

I can't believe Cashman picked up a quality prospect (2B Matt Cusick-- the Astros 10th rd. pick in 2007) for Hawkins, who has been awful (just like I thought he would be).

I'm dropping my odds on landing Washburn to 40%. Seattle is holding out for a team to pay Washburn's $14 mil. salary through 2009 AND send 2 high prospects. No one will make that move. If he's moved, it will be one or the other: Seattle pays a significant amount of his contract or they settle for lesser prospects. I'd like to see what he could add to the Yankees (he's always pitched well in Yankee stadium and is on a nice run over his last 10 or so starts), but can live without him. It's up to Seattle's GM. Brian Cashman won't be the one to blink.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information