Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buy or Sell: Trade Deadline Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

10:33pm: The Palm Beach Post says a tentative agreement has been reached, despite Gammons' comments. Here's the deal:

Marlins get: Manny Ramirez, cash, prospect from Red Sox
    Red Sox get: Jason Bay, John Grabow
    Pirates get: Ryan Tucker, Jeremy Hermida, one prospect from Red Sox, perhaps another prospect from Marlins
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

That's a huge deal.

Hell, Keith -- I wish the Mariners would just take a marginal prospect for Washburn, as long as the Yankees eat up his money. We have absolutely no leverage in the situation, but are trying to act like we do. Heard he might go to the other New York team, which would probably sour the Yanks a bit.

We should take what we can get for the turds we're trying to unload -- especially with how crappy and in the dumps this team is.

Oh, and Keith -- I muttered a bad word or two underneath my mouth when I took my break at work tonight and saw that the Evil Empire got Pudge.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Report: Griffey to White Sox pending OK

MINNEAPOLIS -- The White Sox have acquired Ken Griffey Jr. from the Reds, pending the player's approval, FoxSports.com reported early Thursday.

As a 10-year veteran with five years playing for the same team, Griffey holds veto power over any potential deal.

Griffey, batting .245 with 15 home runs and 53 RBIs this season, is sixth on the all-time list of Major League home run hitters with 608.

It was not reported who the Reds would receive in return for Griffey, but the move would be an interesting one from a White Sox perspective, since they are seemingly set in the outfield and at designated hitter.

Left fielder Carlos Quentin has been a bona fide Most Valuable Player candidate in left field with 28 home runs and 83 RBIs, and Jermaine Dye's .311 average, 24 home runs and 65 RBI are All-Star-caliber numbers.

Nick Swisher has struggled with the bat, hitting just .230, with 15 home runs and 50 RBIs, so Griffey could be targeted for center field. Griffey, who turns 39 in November, last played center in 2006, when he logged 100 games there. He has played right field since then.

If the trade has been made and Griffey accepts it, the White Sox would figure to use Swisher more at first base, his better defensive position, which would cut into playing time for Paul Konerko. The White Sox captain has also struggled this season, hitting .214 with nine home runs and 35 RBIs.

According to another report from the Chicago Sun-Times, the White Sox also are looking at Oakland reliever Huston Street. The potential acquisition of Griffey could take them out of that picture.

Griffey has a $16.5 million club option for 2009, with a $4 million buyout. The White Sox had no comment in regard to the deal, and it is not yet known what the team would have to give up for one of the game's most prolific sluggers. Brian Anderson could be one possibility, moving Jay Bruce out of center for the Reds, and adding Anderson's strong defensive presence.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Pudge should be able to handle the staff very well, good defense but I don't think its going to automaticaly make the Yankees the team to beat. Still a good deal on their part but it will be interesting to see how they handle it next year. I assume they agreed to pick up Pudge's option next year which is why the deal went through, Posda will be become more of a DH? What happens with Giambi more time in the field? Really the Yankees have made solid deals this year with out giving up really anything.

Griffey to the Chi Sox, if they put him in center that seriously hurts there out field, Dye is not a steller fielder and Quinten is good enough in right, his numbers are not all that much better then Swishers but I see they would play Nick at first more.

Looks like the Manny deal could fall through, seems that the teams just don't want to pull the trigger and not really finding any middle ground, looks more likely that it will just be Boston/FLA, with Bay still in the running to go to Tampa. If I were Boston, Jason Bay or Hermida? At this point in a race I would want Bay, Hermida has talent but Bay is the sure thing and definitly not a huge step away from many, brings defense and in that line-up his bat could wake up even more.
    More A's deals unlikely.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

The Oakland Athletics were among the most active teams in trade discussions during the past 35 days as they swapped pitchers Rich Harden and Joe Blanton, and they've had some talks with the White Sox about Huston Street in recent days. But one source says the chances of the A's making a deal before the deadline are "about 1 percent." Everything can change with one phone call, of course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rays consider Bay, Dunn

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

The Rays have been involved in conversations with the Pirates about Jason Bay, who would fill their need for a right-handed hitter perfectly, and for the Reds' Adam Dunn, a left-handed hitter who leads the majors with 32 homers and has a .385 on-base percentage. But with less than five hours remaining before the trade deadline, the Rays aren't sure which way their talks will go -- and it might be that in the end, their upgrade will be Rocco Baldelli, the veteran outfielder who has been on a rehabilitation assignment in the minors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marlins made attempt to trade for Pudge

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Jayson Stark

According to clubs that have spoken with Detroit, Pudge Rodriguez was offered to several teams Wednesday before he was traded to the Yankees. And the one other team that made a serious attempt to deal for him was the Marlins. But they didn't have a veteran back-of-the-bullpen arm to offer. So Detroit chose Kyle Farnsworth over the Marlins' prospect package.

The Marlins are still in the catchers' market as the deadline approaches. Other names they've been linked to include Texas' Gerald Laird, Baltimore's Ramon Hernandez and the Giants' Bengie Molina. But it now appears Molina isn't going to be traded.

No movement in Washburn talks

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Buster Olney

As of 10:30 a.m. ET, the Mariners and Yankees had not picked up the threads of their conversations about pitcher Jarrod Washburn, and executives involved in the trade talks don't expect that their standoff will be resolved.

The Yankees are willing to pay the rest of Washburn's salary, about $14 million, but aren't willing to trade a good prospect in the deal, and the Mariners asked for the Yankees' best pitching prospect. It is a situation, however, that could change rapidly with one phone call.

Cardinals could trade Lohse

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Jayson Stark

Here's one of the most surprising names to pop up on the "available" list in the past 24 hours -- Kyle Lohse. Officials of two teams that spoke with the Cardinals report that they've been offering to deal Lohse if they can get back the right package.

The Cardinals have been looking for both a bat and a bullpen arm. And apparently, they concluded they didn't have the prospects to get both. They got Chris Carpenter back from the disabled list Wednesday, with Adam Wainwright a couple of weeks behind. And they have no assurance they can re-sign Lohse because he's a Scott Boras client.

So Lohse could dramatically alter the starting-pitching market Thursday if the Cardinals can find the right taker. Among the teams still looking for a starter: White Sox, Rockies and Yankees.

Manny deal '50-50'

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Jayson Stark

Here's what I know about the status of this deal, as of this morning:

• An official of one of these three teams placed the odds of this getting done today at "50-50."

• Multiple sources have said that outfield prospect Mike Stanton is not in this trade, although Boston asked for him and Pittsburgh has been insisting on a prospect of his caliber, in addition to Jeremy Hermida and other prospects.

• Despite reports that left-handed reliever John Grabow would wind up in Boston, indications are that he would actually go to the Marlins if this trade gets done.

• The status of Marlins pitcher Ryan Tucker (recently sent back to the minor leagues to be converted to the bullpen) remains uncertain. Tucker, according to a baseball man who has spoken to the teams involved, is still a name that's "in play."

Maddux talks stalled

Thursday, July 31, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Buster Olney

The conversations between the Dodgers and Padres about future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux have hit a roadblock, and it's unclear whether the two sides will continue talks on Thursday. The Dodgers have mild interest in Maddux, who essentially has boxed in San Diego with his insistence that he can be dealt only to a West Coast team; the rival Dodgers are the only team on the coast with a need for a starter. The two sides are far apart in agreeing on what compensation is appropriate for the pitcher.

If Maddux is not dealt before the deadline, the Dodgers could try to place a waiver claim on the pitcher in August, and once again, the Padres would be left with little leverage.
    Changing by the min, Griffey OK's Deal to Chi Town:
    Ken Griffey Jr. approved a trade from the Cincinnati Reds to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday, paving the way for the future Hall of Famer to pursue a spot in the World Series for the first time in his career.

The deal is subject to the approval of commissioner Bud Selig's office, said a baseball source, who added that MLB approval is expected to be a "rubber stamp.''

The Reds will receive pitcher Nick Masset and infielder Danny Richar in return.

Sources said the Reds and White Sox will essentially "split" what remains on Griffey's contract this season, along with the cost of his $4 million buyout for 2009. The Reds had a $16.5 million club option for 2009 on Griffey, but Chicago did not have to exercise the option as part of the deal.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3512365

Well I thought this would happen:
    Manny deal 'close to dead'

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Posted by Peter Gammons

A source close to the three-way negotiations involving Manny Ramirez says the deal is close to dead. Florida has reportedly asked Boston for a cash outlay beyond the $7M to cover Ramirez's contract, in addition to two prospects. That essentially would add up to the Red Sox trading Ramirez, $9M and two prospects for Jason Bay.
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 07-31-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

M's dealt Rhodes to the Marlins for Gaby Hernandez, a 21/22 year old right handed pitching prospect who has spent this year in AA and AAA. Not that great of stats in AAA, but I'll take the difference.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

I have seen Gaby pitch a few times, he is average but with his age I think he has a chance to develope into a possible back end of the rotation starter. One thing Albuquerque is a hitters park, mile high, so you can take that for what its worth. I belive that Gaby was part of the Cabrera/Willis deal this past off-season as well.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    I have seen Gaby pitch a few times, he is average but with his age I think he has a chance to develope into a possible back end of the rotation starter. One thing Albuquerque is a hitters park, mile high, so you can take that for what its worth. I belive that Gaby was part of the Cabrera/Willis deal this past off-season as well.
    Thanks for the info. If he can get into the majors in two years and be a #4 or #5 guy, I'm cool with that. Sending him back down to AA seems to have helped him, he's 3-0 since the demotion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Manny a Dodger. That came out of no where:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3513383

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I think it was Jayson Stark reporting that the Dodgers were willing to give up Kemp...obviously, that's not the deal, but it wasn't completely out of nowhere.

I'm wondering where the hell they are going to put him.

And since Brandon Moss is off to Pittsburgh that means the Ron Mahay for Brandon Moss deal is off here in Royal land.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So who's the odd duck out?

Juan Pierre, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

For anyone curious...as I was...

Code:
    Batter	        G	AB	R	H	1B	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	BB	SO	SB	CS	HBP	SF	OBP	SLG	AVG
    Matt Kemp	101	386	57	114	75	24	3	12	57	180	34	111	26	7	1	2	.352	.466	.295
    Andre Ethier	95	350	53	95	59	24	1	11	46	154	33	61	3	2	4	6	.336	.440	.271
    Juan Pierre	78	294	33	82	72	9	1	0	24	93	17	18	36	7	3	0	.325	.316	.279
    Andruw Jones	65	192	20	32	21	8	1	2	13	48	26	70	0	1	1	1	.268	.250	.167
    Delwyn Young	69	113	9	28	20	7	0	1	6	38	11	29	0	0	0	0	.315	.336	.248
    Manny Ramirez	100	365	66	109	66	22	1	20	68	193	52	86	1	0	8	0	.398	.529	.299

13. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    So who's the odd duck out?

Juan Pierre, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez?
    Jones has been pathetic.

He should be on the bench

Manny, Pierre, Kemp

with Either being a platoon player at times with any of them.

15. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    No kidding. Looks like Andrew Jones is the one that doesn't belong now with the way he is hitting.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

Quote Originally Posted by broncosfanscott View Post
    No kidding. Looks like Andrew Jones is the one that doesn't belong now with the way he is hitting.
    Jones is not fit to be a AAA player this year.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information